The People’s DC options

If Leonhard got hired here I'd be shocked. Based on his history with the Badger program I don't see how he would ever be open to a coaching role for the Gophers even if the pay was astronomical, which I'm fairly certain it won't be. I'd still be thrilled. I just don't think he could do it from a values/rivalry perspective. That runs deep, especially among the pre-transfer wherever you want whenever you want generation.
I never thought Favre would play for the Vikings either. Plus with him being fired from UW I could see where he would sour on them. But it sounds like he is just being choosy about where he wants to work, so for that reason I think he is a long shot.

I never thought Favre would play for the Vikings either. Plus with him being fired from UW I could see where he would sour on them. But it sounds like he is just being choosy about where he wants to work, so for that reason I think he is a long shot.
Being choosy is fine, but how long of a layoff will it take until success at his last position isn’t recent enough to get him a better (or even equivalent) one? Two years? Five?

Being choosy is fine, but how long of a layoff will it take until success at his last position isn’t recent enough to get him a better (or even equivalent) one? Two years? Five?
Yeah, I don't know...maybe he is set financially and just doesn't care.

Looks like PJ will hire the #2 Defensive coach/LB coach from Rutgers as our new DC. Guy has been in football coaching for nearly 20 years (but only 39). DC at lower levels including JMU. We're never leaving the Schiano tree! Actually, the guy looks pretty good.

Yet another guy who was at Maine in the 2010’s.

Robb Smith, Rossi, Harasymiak, and now this guy.

You’d think Maine had the top defense in FCS back then!

Leonhard seems like a guy who has enough $$ to stick around football as an analysis and involved with his kids.

"I don't need football. I love football, and my wife and family support me. I've been fortunate to be successful in this game. I'm not in it for that. It is going to come back to: ‘Is it worth the sacrifices that your family has to make?’" – Jim Leonhard.

This is from 2021

TBH it is this kind of thing why he probably didn’t get Wisconsin job. And maybe wouldn’t be an NFL DC

It isn’t healthy, but at that level it kind of has to consume you as a person.

Seems pretty odd that a guy on a coaching staff that got fired in the big ten west is a sure thing for an NFL DC job or P5 HC job.

I know he has great vibes but

I would guess if he REALLY gets back into it it’ll be as a P5 DC.

The Jim Leonhard legend continues, the guy who is just bound to take a close to home DC job is .... leaving Illinois to take DB job with Broncos.

The Jim Leonhard legend continues, the guy who is just bound to take a close to home DC job is .... leaving Illinois to take DB job with Broncos.

Getting back in the game and who doesn't want to raise a family in Denver?

His whole situation has been weird to me. I feel like he could easily have a good DC job somewhere. It's possible he's been offered but has declined. Maybe only wants to get into the NFL.

His whole situation has been weird to me. I feel like he could easily have a good DC job somewhere. It's possible he's been offered but has declined. Maybe only wants to get into the NFL.
He may have decided the work/life balance is more important than the money or prestige of other jobs. If so, good for him.

hey, I think it's legitimate to question whether some coaches would actually prefer working in the NFL because of the current uncertainty in college. Recruiting - NIL - managing the portal - you can make a case that coaching in college is harder than it's ever been. If the money is relatively close, a coach could honestly decide that the NFL is a better deal right now.

hey, I think it's legitimate to question whether some coaches would actually prefer working in the NFL because of the current uncertainty in college. Recruiting - NIL - managing the portal - you can make a case that coaching in college is harder than it's ever been. If the money is relatively close, a coach could honestly decide that the NFL is a better deal right now.
I think that’s been true for a long time just based on hours put into the week.

For sure, but that was always the case. This isn’t new.

When you should be really concerned is when coaches take demotions in stature. Like a head coach to a position coach in the nfl. Or a head coach with college job security leaving to be a coordinator.

Two this year were surprising.
Kelly to Ohio state - but Kelly was getting fired at the end of next season
Hafley to the NFL - but Hafley was fired if he went 5-7 next year
So hard to say that’s really shocking for me

Well, Kelly wasn't getting fired. So there is that

Top Bottom