The NCAA has opened an investigation into No. 2 Michigan over possible rule-breaking around in-person scouting of opponents

You don’t need to sign-steal in the NFL. They have green dot helmets. So no, would not have happened with the Vikings.

Not to mention very good chance he had no idea it was even happening.

well shit if biff poggi says he didn't know, why didn't they just say so?!

so, what evidence was available to the B1G Commissioner -- from ESPN:

According to Petitti's letter, the NCAA provided the Big Ten with a "master spreadsheet" with great detail in how Stalions' scheme worked. It included:

• A large and detailed chart that included the names of various people assigned to attend past and future football games involving Michigan's opponents.
  • Assignments for individuals to attend past and future games involving highly ranked, non-Big Ten football programs.
  • Notes about whether attendance would be necessary at games based on various win/loss scenarios.
  • The 2023 schedules of Michigan's football opponents.
  • Color coding to reflect past games attended by individuals and future games in which scouting would be needed.
  • The names of people assigned to cities and certain areas of the country.
  • Monetary costs for scouting some games.
Additionally, Petitti said there was a separate worksheet within the master spreadsheet that showed "narrative translations of signs and signals that corresponded to specific team formations and plays."

Between Oct. 20 and Nov. 4, according to Petitti, the conference received additional documentation from other Big Ten members that showed Stalions purchasing tickets to games involving Michigan's opponents. According to the league, it has evidence that he purchased tickets to at least four games in 2021, 13 in 2022 and five during the first seven weeks of this season. "The tickets were strategically located near midfield, facing the future opponents' sidelines," the letter said.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey informed the Big Ten that Stalions had purchased tickets to the SEC championship game in Atlanta.

The Big Ten also reviewed photos and videos that it says shows the staff member standing on the sideline adjacent to other Michigan coaches.

On Oct. 2, 2021, during a game against Wisconsin, Stalions was "standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the University's then-defensive coordinator." In a game at Ohio State on Nov. 26, 2022, Stalions watched the opponent sideline and then gestured to the Michigan defense "in reaction to the signals being provided to the opposing offense." In a CFP semifinal at the VRBO Fiesta Bowl last season (in which the Wolverines lost to TCU 51-45), Stalions was standing next to Michigan's defensive coordinator and "talking to him while intently watching what was happening on the field and/or the TCU sideline." Among evidence the Big Ten collected from the NCAA were other corroborating documents, photos, videos and "significant interview recordings," all of which, according to the Big Ten, "confirm the existence of the impermissible scheme."

Unless there is evidence this is a carefully orchestrated conspiracy amongst Big Ten teams, the SEC, the NCAA, and ESPN Michigan deserves far worse than this laughable slap on the wrist. The usual caveats on quality of sources apply but for the sake of argument we’ll assume they are all or mostly vetted and legit.

Also, there is the matter of every UMich alum I personally know being an obnoxious D-bag (even the ones I like). Also, F Mich football.

I don’t think I should have to go to federal prison for a year for jay walking.

Was anyone saying literally zero punishment?

Sure, fine them. They’ll pay it. Money should go to a children’s hospital, but NCAA will just pocket it.

Also, we’re all welcome that this caused green dot helmets in college to get accelerated. There was absolutely no excuse for them not to be used years ago.
It would be more like someone stealing $1,000, getting caught, and having to pay a $500 fine while keeping the $1,000.

Every top program in the country would be fine paying a fine to enable them to cheat.

well shit if biff poggi says he didn't know, why didn't they just say so?!
Biff Poggi kinda looks like a Biff Poggi. I just realized he's the Charlotte coach. Got his hands full there. I see he is a Duke graduate, so he must be smart.

You got me! You guys won.

Michigan received the death penalty, just like you guys were clamoring for.

Indeed, rather than properly waiting for the NCAA investigation to be concluded, the Big Ten took matters into its own hands, by grabbing a giant club and bashing Michigan with

huge monetary fi....
loss of schola....
loss of recruiting vis....
loss of reven....
ban from the conf championship ga....
ban from the CF....
ban from bow....
yearlong suspen....
three full weeks of no contact with the team suspen...

[puts on extra thick reading glasses, in order to read the fine print of the notes]

three weeks of the head coach not being able to ... be at the gameday venue on gamedays ... but otherwise literally zero restrictions.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And there it is...moving the goalposts again because your terrible take was proven terrible! I will give you this you are definitely consistent. Not in a good way mind you, but we can always count on you having a terrible take, tripling down on it, being wrong, then pretending you weren't really as wrong because...reasons?

Never one time did I claim the Big Ten would not issue punishment.

Hopefully the difference between should and would is clear. Seems pretty elementary.

The Athletic writes,

"This was not the time, nor the way, to punish Harbaugh for a sign-stealing scandal that has been such a dominant story, some of the plot holes have gone unnoticed. A 10-page letter written by lawyers, signed by Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel, and sent this week to the Big Ten and first revealed by Yahoo Sports included some laughable rationalizing of the situation but was dead on at its core — discipline at this point is 'procedurally improper, premature and unwarranted.'

Harbaugh has been ripped away from his team... He can still be with the team during the week. It’s a strange half measure."

Yes, Due Process is needed. It comes down to the assumption of responsibility. Does the head coach seriously not know where his spying coach(es) is?

The punishment is very little. Why are people saying it's a death club? Michigan should just shake it off.

The Athletic writes,

"This was not the time, nor the way, to punish Harbaugh for a sign-stealing scandal that has been such a dominant story, some of the plot holes have gone unnoticed. A 10-page letter written by lawyers, signed by Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel, and sent this week to the Big Ten and first revealed by Yahoo Sports included some laughable rationalizing of the situation but was dead on at its core — discipline at this point is 'procedurally improper, premature and unwarranted.'

Harbaugh has been ripped away from his team... He can still be with the team during the week. It’s a strange half measure."

Yes, Due Process is needed. It comes down to the assumption of responsibility. Does the head coach seriously not know where his spying coach(es) is?

The punishment is very little. Why are people saying it's a death club? Michigan should just shake it off.
Funny how people always lean on due process to mean whatever they want it to mean. Due process to me sounds like he should be suspended with pay pending the outcome of an investigation. That would ensure a fair process and outcome with a warranted control in the interim.

If someone is accused of committing a crime against a person, is it not common for them to receive a restraining order from the alleged victim until the process plays out? That is another example of a widely accepted due process playing out and temporary controls during the process of adjudication.

"The perseverance and the stalwartness of these guys. Watching, I would have to say, it's gotta be America's team," Harbaugh said of Michigan's win at Penn State -- its fourth this season without its head coach. "Gotta be America's team. America loves a team that beats the odds, beats the adversity. Overcomes what the naysayers and critics, so-called experts, think. That's my favorite kind of team. "Watching it from that view of the television, finally, people get to see what I see every day with these players and these coaches."

"The perseverance and the stalwartness of these guys. Watching, I would have to say, it's gotta be America's team," Harbaugh said of Michigan's win at Penn State -- its fourth this season without its head coach. "Gotta be America's team. America loves a team that beats the odds, beats the adversity. Overcomes what the naysayers and critics, so-called experts, think. That's my favorite kind of team. "Watching it from that view of the television, finally, people get to see what I see every day with these players and these coaches."
I guess technically there are Michigan Alums all across America, but geez...read the room Coach Khaki.

Never one time did I claim the Big Ten would not issue punishment.

Hopefully the difference between should and would is clear. Seems pretty elementary.
Is that your education level?

Go read Mgoboard. The Michigan fans are going insane over this. Remember, the Big10+ is a voluntary organization. Essentially, a club. The members agree to abide by the rules of the organization. It’s pretty obvious to the Big10 that Michigan broke some of those rules. Michigan is stonewalling and deflecting. Easiest solution is for Michigan to come clean. Produce your former assistant who has refused to cooperate.. Harbaugh claims he has no knowledge of any illegal activities. Key is what Harbaugh considers to be illegal. Real cute. The reason that the TRO was postponed was that TRO will be good for 14 days. Hearing will be on the 17th. The Michigan grad alum in Ann Arbor will most likely grant the TRO allowing Harbaugh to coach the OSU game. Another cute move. Questions people should be asking: who hired a Connor Stalions? Who did he report to ? Who approved his expenses? Why won’t CMU confirm who was on their sideline in CMU gear? Should be easy. All these things should be answered . It’s no wonder there is a suspension, Michigan is stonewalling and stalling. It’s about the violation and the coverup.

ESPN is reporting that the firing of LB Coach Chris Partridge is based on information gathered during NCAA interviews as part of the investigation into the illegal scouting allegations. Some of that same information is reportedly part of the reason why Harbaugh dropped his challenge to the 3-game suspension.

and outlets are reporting that another Michigan coach deleted his Twitter account yesterday.

the ball is rolling downhill and even Michigan's defense may not be strong enough to stop it.

Sure, some lower member of the staff cooked it up and was running it behind Harbaugh’s back. Silly to hold him accountable for that, and only being proposed by those who hate him and are looking for an excuse.

Sure, some lower member of the staff cooked it up and was running it behind Harbaugh’s back. Silly to hold him accountable for that, and only being proposed by those who hate him and are looking for an excuse.
He's the boss. He needs to know what's happening in his program.
But let's not pretend for a minute that he didn't know.

He didn’t know.

It’s silly to suggest a head coach must be required to have a magic power to know all things, including when junior staff are going behind his back to do “shady” things.

He didn’t know.

It’s silly to suggest a head coach must be required to have a magic power to know all things, including when junior staff are going behind his back to do “shady” things.
Willful blindness is no excuse and a poor defense. No pun intended.

He didn’t know.

And what is it that makes you so sure he didn't know?

Unless there is evidence this is a carefully orchestrated conspiracy amongst Big Ten teams, the SEC, the NCAA, and ESPN Michigan deserves far worse than this laughable slap on the wrist. The usual caveats on quality of sources apply but for the sake of argument we’ll assume they are all or mostly vetted and legit.

Also, there is the matter of every UMich alum I personally know being an obnoxious D-bag (even the ones I like). Also, F Mich football.
This part cannot be overlooked. Michigan graduates are the most insufferable of all people.

The big ten is so spineless. Dropping the investigation when there was more to find and doling out a total non-punishment punishment. Unbelievable.

He didn’t know.

Lack of institutional control.

He didn’t know.

A GA is telling his coordinators what to call. The coordinators are listening.

Any he just turned a blind eye. Clearly didn’t know.

Hey DC, why do you always do exactly what Connor says you should do?
Don’t worry about it Jimmy

😂

What color is the sky in your world?

Why wouldn’t you listen to a guy who had proven multiple times that he was a genius at figuring out opposing teams signs?

Doesn’t prove in the slightest that they knew he was breaking rules to do it.

He told them (the main staff) that he had figured it all out each time just from watching old tapes of a camera pointed at the sidelines.

Prove me wrong, that they knew better.

Boom. Roasted

(Never mind that it’s beyond laughable and silly to say “oh sure, you’re allowed to steal every sign there is so long as you do it from watching tape of past games, and it can be tape of a camera pointed at the other teams sideline too, that’s just fine, but if you actually travel to future opponents games ahead of time …. That’s a SIN!!!”)

Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water.
Just when you thought this story couldn’t get better or Michigan couldn’t be dumber

Top Bottom