Taison Chatman coming home?

StPaulDrew

Reaction score
Big speculation here but sounds like there is chatter that last years top in-state recruit Taison Chatman may transfer out of OSU after the season. Saw several comments on OSU boards that he’s been homesick, and combined with the coaching change they seem to think he’s gone. He’s yet to score this year on extremely limited minutes, I believe both due to injury and Holtmann opting not to play freshman. Would be a solid chance to add quality guard depth next year if we have a shot.

E7AE6657-D8DE-4118-973F-5FEF8AA27220.jpeg

Part of Me: Pound sand! He should have come here in the first place!

Another Part of Me: Let's get a hometown kid with legit blue-blood offers out of hs, multiple years to play, and his freebie transfer out of the way.

Even if everyone comes back, one more competent combo guard is needed (and I doubt everyone is back).

Big speculation here but sounds like there is chatter that last years top in-state recruit Taison Chatman may transfer out of OSU after the season. Saw several comments on OSU boards that he’s been homesick, and combined with the coaching change they seem to think he’s gone. He’s yet to score this year on extremely limited minutes, I believe both due to injury and Holtmann opting not to play freshman. Would be a solid chance to add quality guard depth next year if we have a shot.

View attachment 30220
What’s interesting is that when I watched part of the Purdue upset, they specifically mentioned the interim coach was going to play thet Freshman more - maybe He’s been passed by others. He only played three minutes in that game, per the box score.

Here are his season stats thus far (per game average)-

• 0.0 PTS
  • 0.2 REB
  • 0.3 AST
  • 0.0 FG%
Mitchell and Hawkins only have one season left, so them transferring to sit out a year and reestablish themselves on a new team seems remote at best and Cam isn’t ready to face grown azz men in the NBA, he was 17 when he enrolled. He definitely has the upside to play there with an improved handle and more strength.

I don’t think we’d have a problem finding room for Taison.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if any basketball program does the Prodigal Son thing better than the Gophers, with players committing elsewhere before coming back home to play. This is a list from the last 25 years off the top of my head:

Ben Johnson (Northwestern)
Kris Humphries (Duke - commit only)
Rick Rickert (Arizona - commit only)
Adam Boone (UNC)
Lawrence McKenzie (Oklahoma)
Trevor Mbakwe (Marquette)
Joey King (Drake)
Reggie Lynch (Illinois State)
Both Gach (Utah)
Dawson Garcia (Marquette, UNC)
Jamison Battle (George Washingon)
Parker Fox (Northern State)

Part of Me: Pound sand! He should have come here in the first place!

Another Part of Me: Let's get a hometown kid with legit blue-blood offers out of hs, multiple years to play, and his freebie transfer out of the way.

Even if everyone comes back, one more competent combo guard is needed (and I doubt everyone is back).
He is literally gold now. A recruit who had big time pedigree and now can't transfer without sitting out a year. The next coach can be hard on him and he can't leave without truly thinking it over. Last year, I think at the NCAA tourney or the Big Ten media days, there was a audio recording of coaches and they talk about how the best recruits are transfers with 2 or 3 years left...those kids won't leave again as they won't want to sit out.

I'm not sure if any basketball program does the Prodigal Son thing better than the Gophers, with players committing elsewhere before coming back home to play. This is a list from the last 25 years off the top of my head:

Adam Boone (UNC)
Joey King (Drake)
Both Gach (Utah)
Dan Coleman (Boston College- he never played there, but pretty sure briefly enrolled?)

And I'm sure there are others we are forgetting!

I'd be kind of surprised if Chatman transferred back home.

If memory serves- we didn't recruit him all that hard...he made it clear that NIL was a priority, and Ben might've thought he wasn't the best cultural fit?

Adam Boone (UNC)
Joey King (Drake)
Both Gach (Utah)
Let's not forget Mark Landsberger, Hancock Jr College.

If memory serves- we didn't recruit him all that hard...he made it clear that NIL was a priority, and Ben might've thought he wasn't the best cultural fit?
I'd be willing to give big bucks in NIL for a guy averaging 0.0 points.

I hope the kid is rethinking the whole "NIL is a priority" thing.

Adam Boone (UNC)
Joey King (Drake)
Both Gach (Utah)
Most importantly, is this @Holy Man approved?

Adam Boone (UNC)
Joey King (Drake)
Both Gach (Utah)
Well I'm pretty sure Parker Fox didn't CHOOSE Northern over the U.

He is literally gold now. A recruit who had big time pedigree and now can't transfer without sitting out a year. The next coach can be hard on him and he can't leave without truly thinking it over. Last year, I think at the NCAA tourney or the Big Ten media days, there was a audio recording of coaches and they talk about how the best recruits are transfers with 2 or 3 years left...those kids won't leave again as they won't want to sit out.
Now that was a good post.

Things change.....No clue if it will happen but if the team and player feel it is a good fit then I would be more than happy to see him return home to play for the Gophers.

What’s interesting is that when I watched part of the Purdue upset, they specifically mentioned the interim coach was going to play thet Freshman more - maybe He’s been passed by others. He only played three minutes in that game, per the box score.

Here are his season stats thus far (per game average)-

• 0.0 PTS
  • 0.2 REB
  • 0.3 AST
  • 0.0 FG%
Mitchell and Hawkins only have one season left, so them transferring to sit out a year and reestablish themselves on a new team seems remote at best and Cam isn’t ready to face grown azz men in the NBA, he was 17 when he enrolled. He definitely has the upside to play there with an improved handle and more strength.

I don’t think we’d have a problem finding room for Taison.
Geez, I don't know. Kind of sounds like Betts round two.

Yeah, it may be worth a shot.

He could be the first basketball Quin Evers!

Or even our guy we lost to Iowa State back in the day. (Not Gabe)

Or the next Eli King.

If you ever saw Taison play, he is not Betts. He is a very, very good player who would have his pick of schools if he enters the portal. Betts was never rated anywhere near what Taison has been. OSU has just not been a good fit. There was definitely interest by Ben and Taison at the U, but there were other factors that lead to his looking at OSU. He always had a good relationship with Ben and staff, and had it just been up to him alone he might have ended up here. Ben backed off when it was evident there was no point in pushing, but not because of talent. He's a good kid who has been in a situation that just isn't working for him overall.

If you ever saw Taison play, he is not Betts. He is a very, very good player who would have his pick of schools if he enters the portal. Betts was never rated anywhere near what Taison has been. OSU has just not been a good fit. There was definitely interest by Ben and Taison at the U, but there were other factors that lead to his looking at OSU. He always had a good relationship with Ben and staff, and had it just been up to him alone he might have ended up here. Ben backed off when it was evident there was no point in pushing, but not because of talent. He's a good kid who has been in a situation that just isn't working for him overall.
Be interesting to see how it plays out if he does decide to transfer.

He's also versatile.He is another guard who can handle the ball but can also play off the ball.

If Chatman wants to come home, you go get him.

Not really 🤣

Amazing, you’d say that as he had a Kansas offer and was the 33rd ranked prospect (7th ranked CG); Buckeyes have tons of players his skill level on their roster. I’d certainly take a chance on him, if he’s not a me me guy, egocentric, know-it-alls are the adult version.

Whilst Betts wasn’t naturally ranked by 24/7 and came here as a 17 year old HS senior and was always a project.

You appear to have myopic vision, so I’ll super size it for you.

1708636782358.jpeg

Last edited:

Not really 🤣🤣🤣
You didn’t learn your lesson from your incorrect comp of Asuma and Betts, did you?

Amazing,, you’d say that as he had a Kansas offer and was the 33rd ranked prospect (7th ranked CG); Buckeyes have tons of players his skill level on their roster.
Whilst Betts wasn’t naturally ranked by 24/7 and cam here as a 17 year old HS senior and was always a project.

You have horrible myopic vision, so I’ll super size it for you champ.

View attachment 30223
When the brackets come out, we’ll have to have a ban bet on when your Hayseeds fold in The Madness, Dorothy. Or is this Toto?

Last edited:

Thanks - great insight.

How was his body language and relating to his teammates? IIRC, thst wasn’t a strong suit of Freitag’s, per some posters.

I doubt he comes here.

He would probably Asuma that he would be behind Hawkins, Christie, Mitchell, Carrington and our incoming PG who is bigger than him.
How is he bigger?

Chatman is listed at 6’4” and Ike 6’2” per their 247 profiles. I’m here to learn 🤓

Last edited:

Adam Boone (UNC)
Joey King (Drake)
Both Gach (Utah)
Zach Lofton (Illinois State)

Adam Boone (UNC)
Joey King (Drake)
Both Gach (Utah)
Was it Maurice Hargrow that was here, left, came back?

Top Bottom