Strip sack was NOT Schlueter's fault, it was a bad play

MplsGopher

Reaction score

Go to around 10:41 mark ... the broadcast cuts over to the skycam view quickly between 10:42 and 10:43 with the play already in motion.

It was a run fake ... so they're asking Schlueter to do a (fake) run-blocking technique, which already puts him behind the 8-ball against a guy firing out of his stance and racing up field. Was by him instantly, had no chance to recover.

The biggest problem: Mo was lined up on the right side of Tanner for the fake hand-off, and was slow to get over to the left side to help. You can see him initially stop behind the LG ... and by the time he realizes the End raced past Schlueter it's too late to help.

I put the blame for this on Sanford.

I don't really fault Schleuter or Mo on that play, the defensive end made one hell of a play on that strip sack. That was just one hell of a football play, and the defensive end did a fantastic job of cutting his route back to the QB. The only thing I would say about Shcleuter is he should have kept his feet moving, instead of bending at the waste and reaching, if he would have kept his feet moving he may have had a shot to cut off the route circling back to the QB, he was beat off the ball, but he should have kept his feet moving and he would have had a chance to recover.

I don't really fault Schleuter or Mo on that play, the defensive end made one hell of a play on that strip sack. That was just one hell of a football play, and the defensive end did a fantastic job of cutting his route back to the QB. The only thing I would say about Shcleuter is he should have kept his feet moving, instead of bending at the waste and reaching, if he would have kept his feet moving he may have had a shot to cut off the route circling back to the QB, he was beat off the ball, but he should have kept his feet moving and he would have had a chance to recover.
I'm not taking anything away from that DE ..... but if he was such a beast, where were all his other massive disruptions? Maybe he had some pressures here and there, but I don't recall much else.

My point: if it had been a simple dropback pass play call .... Tanner doesn't get touched. Like most of the rest of the game.

I'm not going to rake Schlueter over the coals for getting beat by one of the best DL in the country, but it was his fault.

Maybe Sanford was trying to anticipate something from OSU's d-coord?

It was 2nd & 7. Maybe he thought they would try to do a run-stuffing stunt/blitz/alignment? Something he had seen them do previously in the game, or on tape from last season?

But the DE raced up the field like he knew it was a pass. Was that talent, was that their D-coord calling that, was it luck? Don't know.

And I'm a guy who has ragged on Schlueter in the past!

Trust me, fellas, on this one.

100% false. You don't know football, if you really believe that.

I gave the correct analysis of the poor play call.
I guess maybe "his fault" isn't the best term, but he got beat, plain and simple. It happens, but just happened to be a critical play.

The problems last nite cannot be blamed on any, one OLineman. There's plenty of blame to go around.

but he got beat, plain and simple.
Silly statement.

Putting a guy in an awful position and asking him to make a nearly impossible block, and then - no shit! - he can't make it, is not getting beat.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.

You're also a guy who has made it very clear that you don't like Sanford, and I'm guessing nothing will change your mind.
On the contrary:

the offense played very well, for most of the game. This was one blip. The other being Tanner's bad overthrow INT, but we got lucky as hell that their guy was a dumbass.

I never would've thought going into this that the offense would out-shine the defense, but they absolutely did.

I'm not taking anything away from that DE ..... but if he was such a beast, where were all his other massive disruptions? Maybe he had some pressures here and there, but I don't recall much else.

My point: if it had been a simple dropback pass play call .... Tanner doesn't get touched. Like most of the rest of the game.
Maybe our experienced O-Line did a good job of keeping him in check most of the night.

The O-line did a pretty dang good job containing him all night, but I just re-watched that play and if you re-watch it he made a pretty good move off the ball. Play call had something to do with it yes in the alignment of the running back, but his instinct, the DE angle to circle back to the ball when he did is what made that play. I don't think it necessary to rip anyone on the strip sack, that was a great football play by the other side. They made a great play, and it was a turning point in the football game.

Shocking you are negative on Sanford.
Understand. Fair enough.

So far, in one (massive) game, Sanford gets more than a passing grade from me!

Really like what we did. Like the gameplan. Even loaded up on extra OL as blockers, at times.

The O-line did a pretty dang good job containing him all night, but I just re-watched that play and if you re-watch it he made a pretty good move off the ball. Play call had something to do with it yes in the alignment of the running back, but his instinct, the DE angle to circle back to the ball when he did is what made that play.
Yes - you're correct in what you're saying, that the DE's skill and talent took over -- once he knew he was by the block and that he had the QB in his sights.

I'm merely saying, if we don't run that play-fake on that play, he wouldn't have gotten by the blocker like that in the first place. That's all.

My speculation.

Yes - you're correct in what you're saying, that the DE's skill and talent took over -- once he knew he was by the block and that he had the QB in his sights.

I'm merely saying, if we don't run that play-fake on that play, he wouldn't have gotten by the blocker like that in the first place. That's all.

My speculation.
Concur.

Wondering, though, why this is any different than all the other times we have run-pass option or play action. Don't we always try to make it appear to be a run? Just curious as I'm not an expert by any means on OL technique.

He got beat it's going happen once in awhile, it's not the end of the world, sometimes you just have to tip your hat to a guy who made a great play
I'd say its tough to contain him all the time. Likewise you do have to give credit to the other guy once in a while. It was an unfortunate play and I'm sure the coaches are reviewing that play over and over to try and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Wondering, though, why this is any different than all the other times we have run-pass option or play action.
Million reasons and variables.

Was simply pointing out: the play call put Schlueter in an almost impossible situation.

Silly statement.

Putting a guy in an awful position and asking him to make a nearly impossible block, and then - no shit! - he can't make it, is not getting beat.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.
So asking a Left Tackle to block the defensive end on a pass play is an impossible task? Seems to me it happens 40-50 times a game, and their tackles had no issues with it?

It's 2nd and 7, it's not like he did it on 3rd and 12.

So asking a Left Tackle to block the defensive end on a pass play is an impossible task?
You didn't read or comprehend anything that was said in the thread. Not worth responding to other than to say this.

Shocking you are negative on Sanford.
I mean fade Mike Sanford has been a known betting strategy. He was essentially fired from Notre Dame -- took a Western Kentucky program that was humming and got canned, then Jordan Love had regression with his in his lone year at Utah State

I mean fade Mike Sanford has been a known betting strategy. He was essentially fired from Notre Dame -- took a Western Kentucky program that was humming and got canned, then Jordan Love had regression with his in his lone year at Utah State
He was essentially fired from ND? Yet was hired to be a head coach away from ND? Doesn’t sound correct to me, but you could be right. He called a pretty game against OSU.

He was essentially fired from ND? Yet was hired to be a head coach away from ND? Doesn’t sound correct to me, but you could be right. He called a pretty game against OSU.
I thought his game against tOSU was great -- I even like the call MPLS was ripping in this thread. Notre Dame went 4-8 his last season as OC, the DC was canned and from the national people I follow he would have been canned too but he took the WKU job.

Top Bottom