Stop blaming Ben for the close losses!

Never said you can’t criticize. It’s a free country. Just a lot of haters who rarely set foot on campus. I’ve had tickets since I was a student during the Muss years with exception of leaving the state for a few years to go to grad school. Criticize all you want. I will continue to believe your assessments are unfair and shortsighted. Maybe contribute to the Gopher scholarship fund 🙂
You’re only qualified to criticize if you watch them in person. Watching them via streaming or on tv doesn’t count.

Dumbest argument ever.

A coach has to look at his players’ past performance and realize they have consistently failed at running the shot clock down and hoping to get a clean look. Our offense is so inefficient that we should be taking the first clean look we get, because that often takes the entire shot clock for this team. Wasting 20+ seconds and hoping you can get a clean look in just one action hasn’t worked even 5% of the time. But we keep doing it. We failed with that strategy for 10-15 possessions over the final 10 minutes of the Missouri game. But we kept doing it. That’s a coaching directive that lost the game down the stretch. So yes, Ben can be blamed for (at least some of) the close losses.

Last edited:

Granted. However, it’s truly amazing to me how bipolar this (and probably every fan base) can be on the basis of the outcome of one possession.
I know I'm guilty of this in the heat of the moment too, but it is a strange thing that sports seems to tap into.

Never said you can’t criticize. It’s a free country. Just a lot of haters who rarely set foot on campus. I’ve had tickets since I was a student during the Muss years with exception of leaving the state for a few years to go to grad school. Criticize all you want. I will continue to believe your assessments are unfair and shortsighted. Maybe contribute to the Gopher scholarship fund 🙂
This is a weird flex.

A coach has to look at his players’ past performance and realize they have consistently failed at running the shot clock down and hoping to get a clean look. Our offense is so inefficient that we should be taking the first clean look we get, because that often takes the entire shot clock for this team. Wasting 20+ seconds and hoping you can get a clean look in just one action hasn’t worked even 5% of the time. But we keep doing it. We failed with that strategy for 10-15 possessions over the final 10 minutes of the Missouri game. But we kept doing it. That’s a coaching directive that list the game down the stretch. So yes, Ben can be blamed for (at least some of) the close losses.
Yep. That Missouri loss was on CBJ.

I know I'm guilty of this in the heat of the moment too, but it is a strange thing that sports seems to tap into.
When competitive sports are being played at this level, one bounce or one inch or one made/missed shot etc... often determines the difference between perennial losers and hall of famers. The Wisconsin game in a vacuum is not a terrible loss albeit we let them have that game based on how they were playing. It's the Wisconsin game following the last 2 seasons and a culmination of his results to this point.

Last edited:

Wis turn-around started way before Bo, with Dick Bennet.
You're right - But Bo took them to 2 Final Fours, ridiculous.

(Didn't realize Bennett took them to 1 as well)

Dick Bennett time at UW:

Bo Ryan time at UW - THIS IS RIDICULOUS

Dick Bennett time at UW:

Geez, reading this makes my stomach churn.

My current favorite thread out here for when I need a hot take fix.

Which one possession is the difference between the last 2.5 years and a decent B1G winning percentage for Johnson?
Thought experiment - what would be the tenor of the discussion had MN hit their shot when down one and held on? My guess is “victory lap” and “Johnson has turned the corner”.

This is what I mean.

Dick Bennett time at UW:

If a coach did that at Minnesota our new state flag would have his melon on it

I'd be all for it - Check out our Gophs during the Ryan era:

2001–0218–139–7NIT 2nd Roundnone
2002–0319–148–8NIT 4th Placenone
2003–0412–183–13nonenone
2004–0521–1110–6NCAA 1st Roundnone
2005–0616–155–11NIT 2nd Roundnone
2006–079–223–13noneCoach Dan Monson resigned midseason; replaced by Jim Molinari
2007–0820–148–10NIT 1st Roundnone
2008–0922–119–9NCAA 1st Roundnone
2009–1021–149–9NCAA 1st Roundnone
2010–1117–146–12nonenone
2011–1223–156–12NIT Runner-upnone
2012–1321–138–10NCAA 3rd RoundTubby Smith fired after season
2013–1425–138–10NIT ChampionsFirst Championship win under Richard Pitino
2014–1518–156–12nonenone
2015–168–232–16nonenone

Another loss at Penn State with bad guard play, bad shooting, and bad in game coaching!

How sad, you actually have people in here comparing us to Northwestern, Northwestern!

Remember when they were essentially a guaranteed win on our schedule every year? Now we have people saying look what Northwestern is doing.

He is given a leash unlike any coach I have seen on here in 20 years. He is proving to be a brilliant hire as all it took was a local kid to remove any semblance of standards and expectation here. DELUSIONAL.

Wrong on everything.

Before last season, Northwestern had five straight losing seasons but they finished second in the conference last season and have maintained respectability this season with a veteran squad. It's not the school name on the jerseys. It's the players wearing the jerseys. They have a senior heavy squad that they've kept together for awhile. They'll lose a number of these players after this season and we'll see how they do next year. What Northwestern may or may have done in the past is irrelevant for the present

Johnson has not been given a leash like no other. He's in his third season. Three seasons have been the minimum tenure for failed Big Ten coaches this century (e.g., Todd Lickliter, Eddie Jordan). Hoiberg's Nebraska team won 7 games each of his first two years and won only 10 in his third year. He's still there for his 5th year and he looks like he will finally have a winning season and maybe even an NCAA tournament appearance. Penn State's Pat Chambers was given a much longer leash than Johnson has been given so far. Johnson might be fired after this season but there is no reason that he should have deserved fewer seasons than any other failed conference coach.

Why don't you do some research before making claims? Do you not care about looking like an ignoramous? Actually, that's just a rhetorical question. I already know the answer.

Yep if you're critical of Ben you just actually aren't a Gopher fan and don't watch games. Is this really where we are at right now? Support Ben all you want, but the naysayers have plenty to go on to support their logic. This position is not coming out of left field. It's very weird to me that all of these "Gopher Fans" want to retain a losing coach who has shown very little to this point to warrant his hiring in the first place. BTW remember how he was passed on by Montana State? Well they hired a qualified coach who made the tourney in both his first two years there and has already taken a job at a larger school. I'm sure the Montana state AD who made the choice to pass on Ben was also "full of hate" toward him. Pitino had plenty of excuses to work with regarding his results, but at the end of the day he didn't get the job done and was fired. Expecting anything less for Ben is weird. This fallacy that since we hired him means he was the right guy is bizarre. Many wanted Pitino fired because it was obvious he couldn't lead a B1G program. Now people want to support Ben because.... it's obvious he can't lead a B1G program? His team looks like a PITINO team on the floor. Inconsistent defensively and no ability to run offense against any team with P6 athletic ability. If you want to make the case to keep Ben that is fine. It's just that every time someone defends Ben they also seem to have to call all of his critics "haters" or "fake gopher fans". 0-12 AGAINST RANKED TEAMS SINCE BEING HIRED.

I know you try but you are piss poor at diagnosing other people's thoughts and motivations. Where do I begin?

Almost no one thought this was a truly good hire.

Ben is in his third season. That's been the minimum tenure for failed Big Ten coaches. If he doesn't get the job done, he deserves to be fired but he shouldn't get fewer years than any other failed Big Ten coach.

The bottom line is that those of us that are supporting Ben and his team at this time just want all the assholes to shut up and quit repeating the same old tedious gripes ad nauseum. Also, we want the team to do well because, well, we would prefer a better season than a worse one. Even you should be able to understand that. If he does well enough, he should get a 4th season but he shouldn't be guaranteed any more than that.

Sure. Too bad Hall of Fame coaches don't grow on trees.

Indiana sort of followed the Bo Ryan model in hiring their new football coach. He's older (61) and most of his success has come below the FBS level but he's had a great winning percentage and never had a losing season over his head coaching career.

I know you try but you are piss poor at diagnosing other people's thoughts and motivations. Where do I begin?

Ben is in his third season. That's been the minimum tenure for failed Big Ten coaches. If he doesn't get the job done, he deserves to be fired but he shouldn't get fewer years than any other failed Big Ten coach.

The bottom line is that those of us that are supporting Ben and his team at this time just want all the assholes to shut up and quit repeating the same old tedious gripes ad nauseum. Also, we want the team to do well because, well, we would prefer a better season than a worse one. Even you should be able to understand that. If he does well enough, he should get a 4th season but he shouldn't be guaranteed any more than that.
I do hope you get a full victory lap this season.

We all want a better season. If you don't want to hear different perspectives on the team and coach, then maybe an open forum message board is not the right place for you. The biggest issue I have is when those who "support" Ben like yourself have to call others assholes because they don't agree with your stance. If you have to insult other posters as a show of support for the head coach, then the head coach probably isn't doing his job right. It doesn't even seem like you disagree that Ben hasn't done a great job to this point, you even acknowledge this as a bad hire, but you'd just rather not hear about it because he's still the coach. Why are others considered "assholes" because they choose to voice their opinion which you seemingly share? 0-12 AGAINST RANKED TEAMS SINCE BEING HIRED.

It doesn't even seem like you disagree that Ben hasn't done a great job to this point, you even acknowledge this as a bad hire, but you'd just rather not hear about it because he's still the coach. Why are others considered "assholes" because they choose to voice their opinion which you seemingly share? 0-12 AGAINST RANKED TEAMS SINCE BEING HIRED.

You ever been married? I've been married twice. These people are like nagging wives but they're even worse because many men tend to have more testosterone than brains and, as a result, are dumber, less skilled, and bigger assholes than women.

Gotta agree with those that say our coaching has been bad this year. While watching the Wisconsin game, I stated emphatically and repeatedly what made sense at the time...take a Time Out, bench this player, etc....and Ben did the near-opposite and lost a very winnable game. It's not the 1st time this year the same thing has happened. I just don't understand why he can't see what seems pretty obvious

We all want a better season. If you don't want to hear different perspectives on the team and coach, then maybe an open forum message board is not the right place for you. The biggest issue I have is when those who "support" Ben like yourself have to call others assholes because they don't agree with your stance. If you have to insult other posters as a show of support for the head coach, then the head coach probably isn't doing his job right. It doesn't even seem like you disagree that Ben hasn't done a great job to this point, you even acknowledge this as a bad hire, but you'd just rather not hear about it because he's still the coach. Why are others considered "assholes" because they choose to voice their opinion which you seemingly share? 0-12 AGAINST RANKED TEAMS SINCE BEING HIRED.

Hes nuts.

His newest stance of logic is that you cant fire a coach prior to the previous minimum length of time set by other teams. Yet another zany comment.

By his logic if DePaul was in the big 10 they woulda had to sit through their 3-16 season with Stubblefield and give him 2 more years. Simply cause Collins and Hoiberg got 5.

Just can't make it up

You ever been married? I've been married twice. These people are like nagging wives but they're even worse because many men tend to have more testosterone than brains and, as a result, are dumber, less skilled, and bigger assholes than women.
We are now in a weird space.

Top Bottom