Stop blaming Ben for the close losses!

Otis

Reaction score
These last few close loss games have had very little to do with coaching.

Guys are just unable to nut up and execute when it’s necessary!

Ben can’t give them an Effexor before they choke at the FT line!

He can tell them how to run a play but he can’t do it for them!

Waiting till deep in the shot clock is a strategy, not my strategy, but it is a strategy. Throwing it away or failing to execute and get a good shot is the players problem.

Maybe Ben asks too much of these guys but someone needs to Sam Cassel their way to victory.

Jobu be damned, do it yourself!

We have no closer on the team, no Kirby Pucket, no Ray Williams, not even a Marcus Carr.

This is a losers mentality.

If you don't think good coaching matters in close games in every sport, I simply dont know what to tell you. I just request in the future to not make threads announcing the ignorance. Bad look.
Actually, I consider having a “Fuck this, Ian going to win this game!” attitude is a winners attitude.

Otis: I've never played or coached basketball above the junior high level
I understand.

But in a low scoring game, it’s not totally insane to milk the clock and set up a decent shot as the shot clock expires. If a layup manifests itself then of course you take it! But limiting your exposure is a strategy.

Waiting till deep in the shot clock is a strategy, not my strategy, but it is a strategy. Throwing it away or failing to execute and get a good shot is the players problem.

Maybe Ben asks too much of these guys but someone needs to Sam Cassel their way to victory.

We have no closer on the team, no Kirby Pucket, no Ray Williams, not even a Marcus Carr.
Maybe if he could coach better throughout the duration of the game, we wouldn't be in some many late game situations, in which, how would one put it...our player's "are just unable to nut up and execute".

I will say, they are the same players who hit 8/9 threes in the second half...does Ben get credit for that in your mind? Was it his deep monotone halftime speech that lulled these players into a sense that they were Glen Rice during the 8 minute run in the 2nd half? Was he drawing up all the action that got those transition shots on the fly... please. Do you remember back to last season when they were on a historically bad FT shooting pace and there was a video of CBJ saying he decided not to practice FT's during practice. His mindset was that the players were essentially soft, they knew they sucked at them, and why even bother as they will get sad...who does that?!

Sounds like cbj recruited the wrong players.

Maybe if he could coach better throughout the duration of the game, we wouldn't be in some many late game situations, in which, how would one put it...our player's "are just unable to nut up and execute".

I will say, they are the same players who hit 8/9 threes in the second half...does Ben get credit for that in your mind? Was it his deep monotone halftime speech that lulled these players into a sense that they were Glen Rice during the 8 minute run in the 2nd half? Was he drawing up all the action that got those transition shots on the fly... please. Do you remember back to last season when they were on a historically bad FT shooting pace and there was a video of CBJ saying he decided not to practice FT's during practice. His mindset was that the players were essentially soft, they knew they sucked at them, and why even bother as they will get sad...who does that?!
I’m just saying they were in position to win. Those last few minutes in big time basketball are similar to staring down a par put for victory at the Master’s.

And the more you fail in those moments, the worse you get if you can’t move on.

Even Jordan missed more game deciding shots than he made. He just came up big in the biggest moments.

Coaches literally earn their paychecks for the way a team closes. That's what differentiates the good from the bad, the good from the great.

Go Gophers!!

Every decision made by the Coach influences the final outcome - starting lineup, substitutions, offensive play calls, defensive changes, pressing, slowing the ball down - it all impacts the flow of the game.

we all understand that the players have to execute.

but part of the Coach's job is to help put or keep the players in a frame of mind that makes them more likely to execute plays when the game is on the line - the right word of advice - or the right 'get-in-your-face' moment.

it all matters. if the team played better for a 5-minute span in the 1st half, they might not have had to try to come from behind late in the game.

Well, I give up!

Read Finch’s response to the Wolves after losing to Charlotte.

Is he a bad coach? Could he have done something to keep them from pissing away that game?

I’m pretty sure he tried to in the moment.

I’m just saying they were in position to win. Those last few minutes in big time basketball are similar to staring down a par put for victory at the Master’s.

And the more you fail in those moments, the worse you get if you can’t move on.

Even Jordan missed more game deciding shots than he made. He just came up big in the biggest moments.
But there is also the saying in sports, it's not the last minute that loses the game, it's a culmination of many mistakes / decisions throughout the game. This is the story of the current Gophers / and CBJ. So many poor decisions and mistakes that we either haven't coached out, of you sit at home and ask yourself...why did CBJ just do that...that the end result is a 2 pt loss to Bucky....

Well, I give up!

Is he a bad coach? Could he have done something to keep them from pissing away that game?

He's 31-13

Literally his job to make sure the team is prepared to execute at the end of the game. If the guys he brought in can't get it done, that's also his fault as he recruits the roster. Yes, being a head coach is a large responsibility. It's why he gets paid $2 million a year.

Well, I give up!

You gotta just stop responding

It ain't getting better

Well, I give up!

Solid trolling

9-38 is not Ben's fault. No one can do better.

This is literally the worst the Gophers basketball program has ever been.

What the hell is wrong with some of you?
And one other thing.......MN can't win. Far, far too many obstacles.

Doesn't the mindframe have to be you expect to win, that is your complete focus, when you lose the response should be what the hell but not dwell on it.

If you support Ben Johnson on this forum (as I have also) expect to get hammered. There are those (some of them who rarely actually go to games) who choose to forget that he started with nothing, that we have had other coaches who struggled (I had my tix through the Monson and Pitino years), and who dream that we could have gotten (and still could get) a big name coach.

look at Northwestern and Chris Collins. Collins is a good coach. He is winning now with a veteran squad, a 5 year point guard in Buie. It has taken him a long time to win.

If you support Ben Johnson on this forum (as I have also) expect to get hammered. There are those (some of them who rarely actually go to games) who choose to forget that he started with nothing, that we have had other coaches who struggled (I had my tix through the Monson and Pitino years), and who dream that we could have gotten (and still could get) a big name coach.

look at Northwestern and Chris Collins. Collins is a good coach. He is winning now with a veteran squad, a 5 year point guard in Buie. It has taken him a long time to win.
Ben went to NW!

How sad, you actually have people in here comparing us to Northwestern, Northwestern!

Remember when they were essentially a guaranteed win on our schedule every year? Now we have people saying look what Northwestern is doing.

He is given a leash unlike any coach I have seen on here in 20 years. He is proving to be a brilliant hire as all it took was a local kid to remove any semblance of standards and expectation here. DELUSIONAL.

Close games can go either way - yes, coaching, execution, and experience all play a role, but the outcome still can very easily land on either side of the coin with a wide open made or missed 3 (see the Michigan game). It's a lot about luck.

Yep if you're critical of Ben you just actually aren't a Gopher fan and don't watch games. Is this really where we are at right now? Support Ben all you want, but the naysayers have plenty to go on to support their logic. This position is not coming out of left field. It's very weird to me that all of these "Gopher Fans" want to retain a losing coach who has shown very little to this point to warrant his hiring in the first place. BTW remember how he was passed on by Montana State? Well they hired a qualified coach who made the tourney in both his first two years there and has already taken a job at a larger school. I'm sure the Montana state AD who made the choice to pass on Ben was also "full of hate" toward him. Pitino had plenty of excuses to work with regarding his results, but at the end of the day he didn't get the job done and was fired. Expecting anything less for Ben is weird. This fallacy that since we hired him means he was the right guy is bizarre. Many wanted Pitino fired because it was obvious he couldn't lead a B1G program. Now people want to support Ben because.... it's obvious he can't lead a B1G program? His team looks like a PITINO team on the floor. Inconsistent defensively and no ability to run offense against any team with P6 athletic ability. If you want to make the case to keep Ben that is fine. It's just that every time someone defends Ben they also seem to have to call all of his critics "haters" or "fake gopher fans". 0-12 AGAINST RANKED TEAMS SINCE BEING HIRED.

if you want to get technical, the 2015-16 team went 8-23 for a .258 winning percentage.

last year's team was 9-22 for a .290 winning percentage. so if you want to split hairs, there has been a worse individual season in the modern era.

before that, there were some poor years in the 1920's and 1930's. in the '67-68 season, they went 7-17 for a .292 winning percentage.

Top Bottom