Stop blaming Ben for the close losses!

I always like to point out Jerome Tang. (Someone who actually had experience and was successful) Took over a program that was struggling, not much for talent on the team and picked to finish dead last in the Big 12. He hit the portal, o put together a team and went to the Elite 8.

It can be done. The Northwestern comparison is ridiculous.

It does feel like the Ben Johnson era has successfully reverted us back to comparing ourselves to Northwestern and Nebraska as opposed to Iowa and Wisconsin.

Brutal.

The expectations that had been set under Tubby and Pitino seem like they no longer exist.

It does feel like the Ben Johnson era has successfully reverted us back to comparing ourselves to Northwestern and Nebraska as opposed to Iowa and Wisconsin.

Brutal.

The expectations that had been set under Tubby and Pitino seem like they no longer exist.
We've finished below wisconsin for almost 30 years straight.

And Collins has already had NW in the tournament. It happened years ago. And anyway… it’s NORTHWESTERN.

I always like to point out Jerome Tang. (Someone who actually had experience and was successful) Took over a program that was struggling, not much for talent on the team and picked to finish dead last in the Big 12. He hit the portal, o put together a team and went to the Elite 8.

It can be done. The Northwestern comparison is ridiculous.

Yeah people who say Ben started with nothing and it takes time(more than 3 years) this day in age in hoops, is the definition of insanity.

Obviously not all first year coaches will make the elite 8 or even the tourney. But starting from nothing and having something in year 3??? Uhh yeah thats doable for any power 6 school even DePaul.

South Carolina is usually trash. New coach, instant early success.

I really question if any of the excuse makers and defenders watch college basketball outside of 1-2 gopher games a week.

How sad, you actually have people in here comparing us to Northwestern, Northwestern!

Remember when they were essentially a guaranteed win on our schedule every year? Now we have people saying look what Northwestern is doing.

He is given a leash unlike any coach I have seen on here in 20 years. He is proving to be a brilliant hire as all it took was a local kid to remove any semblance of standards and expectation here. DELUSIONAL.
You’re showing how little you know about the game. N’W is 5-3 in the B1G and has beaten Purdue and Illinois. It takes time to win. We start one freshman and 3 sophomores get significant minutes.

Not going to re-argue all the points that have already been made on the disaster thread. You guys have nothing new to say. (Btw, I didn’t say you didn’t watch, I said many of you haters don’t go to the games.)

Not going to re-argue all the points that have already been made on the disaster thread. You guys have nothing new to say. (Btw, I didn’t say you didn’t watch, I said many of you haters don’t go to the games.)
How many games need to be attended before you're allowed to criticize the staff? Is there a dollar spent minimum you require?

How many games need to be attended before you're allowed to criticize the staff? Is there a dollar spent minimum you require?
Never said you can’t criticize. It’s a free country. Just a lot of haters who rarely set foot on campus. I’ve had tickets since I was a student during the Muss years with exception of leaving the state for a few years to go to grad school. Criticize all you want. I will continue to believe your assessments are unfair and shortsighted. Maybe contribute to the Gopher scholarship fund 🙂

guess i'm missing the point of this thread. don't coaches want the blame for things not working out placed directly on them, instead of the players?

although in this case, i still blame coyle

guess i'm missing the point of this thread. don't coaches want the blame for things not working out placed directly on them, instead of the players?
Ben is not PJ. It's not "all on him". In fact none of it is. Just give him 2-3 more years.

Never said you can’t criticize. It’s a free country. Just a lot of haters who rarely set foot on campus. I’ve had tickets since I was a student during the Muss years with exception of leaving the state for a few years to go to grad school. Criticize all you want. I will continue to believe your assessments are unfair and shortsighted. Maybe contribute to the Gopher scholarship fund 🙂
Lots of realists that have witnessed historically poor bb the past 2.5 years.

By haters you mean those that say something when they see something that isn't leading to winning bb games?

You’re showing how little you know about the game. N’W is 5-3 in the B1G and has beaten Purdue and Illinois. It takes time to win. We start one freshman and 3 sophomores get significant minutes.
You're showing how little you know. period.

If you support Ben Johnson on this forum (as I have also) expect to get hammered. There are those (some of them who rarely actually go to games) who choose to forget that he started with nothing, that we have had other coaches who struggled (I had my tix through the Monson and Pitino years), and who dream that we could have gotten (and still could get) a big name coach.

look at Northwestern and Chris Collins. Collins is a good coach. He is winning now with a veteran squad, a 5 year point guard in Buie. It has taken him a long time to win.
Compare records of all the coaches you mentioned. CBJ has the worst record by far.

Lol.

Uhh a lot of teams whether its this year or years past win games by starting a freshman and having 3 sophmores get minutes. Cant use that as some sort of sturdy defense.

Hawkins, Mitchell and Garcia all start. They all are upperclassmen. Hell Garcia is such a vet hes played for 3 damn programs.

The whole youth/continuity angle people keep going for just doesnt work. Teams start freshmen all the time. Teams reload through the portal with a bunch of guys who havent played together all the time.

And the sophmore thing? Thats like the norm. You think most teams just bench every recruit til they are a junior??

These last few close loss games have had very little to do with coaching.

Guys are just unable to nut up and execute when it’s necessary!

Ben can’t give them an Effexor before they choke at the FT line!

He can tell them how to run a play but he can’t do it for them!

Waiting till deep in the shot clock is a strategy, not my strategy, but it is a strategy. Throwing it away or failing to execute and get a good shot is the players problem.

Maybe Ben asks too much of these guys but someone needs to Sam Cassel their way to victory.

Jobu be damned, do it yourself!

We have no closer on the team, no Kirby Pucket, no Ray Williams, not even a Marcus Carr.
Isn't the coach directly responsible for the roster?? You are misguided!!

Again--Ben failed to get guys that make a difference in the PORTAL, he didn't recruit shooting, and our situational basketball is suspect at best. That points to the COACH!!

These last few close loss games have had very little to do with coaching.

Guys are just unable to nut up and execute when it’s necessary!

Ben can’t give them an Effexor before they choke at the FT line!

He can tell them how to run a play but he can’t do it for them!

Waiting till deep in the shot clock is a strategy, not my strategy, but it is a strategy. Throwing it away or failing to execute and get a good shot is the players problem.

Maybe Ben asks too much of these guys but someone needs to Sam Cassel their way to victory.

Jobu be damned, do it yourself!

We have no closer on the team, no Kirby Pucket, no Ray Williams, not even a Marcus Carr.
Who recruited the players?

1706280036464.png

Everyone was taking a "victory lap" after the close win at Michigan. The overreaction positively to that is roughly equivalent to the negative overreaction to Tuesday's loss.
I'd say the negative reaction is more to 3 seasons of losses.

So if people go to the games are they allowed to have an opinion or are they haters too? Please explain to us oh Great Diviner who are the real fans?

What has Ben Johnson done to warrant your love for him? What has he done to show you he is a Big Ten caliber coach?

Top Bottom