Starters leaking out from media.

I think your point about not having the top notch RB is probably accurate, but I don't have issues with our depth there.

I hear what you are saying about Shady but isn't your example exactly why you don't force PT on someone who isn't ready and just play the BPA? That could (hypothetically) again with another one of the younger S's on the roster that would play before Shady. For me, it'd be a shame if Manuel doesn't see significant PT, because he needs to develop and I think he will. However, we also need to play the best players. It will help us win/compete in games and it sends the right message to our entire team and future recruits.

I would be shocked if there wasn't a lot of rotation in the defensive backfield. Even more than normal for us.

Shady must be the best guy in that position. Coach Kill can't ignore that and imagine the ripple effect if in fact Shady does not start over a lesser talent. That would not be good.

Winning three or four may be where we end up but with hard working guys who are still developing like Shady out there, who knows.......

I'd be a little offended if before the season even started, Kill was making decisions assuming we're gonna suck with no chance at having any success at all. Some decisions can be made with future in mind, like redshirts, but with a sophomore and a senior, just play whoever's better, at least to start the year. If we're sitting 1-5, struggling, then yeah, it might be time to look toward the future and give some young guys more burn. Right now though, if Shady is the best guy for the job, play him.

I hope I'm wrong!

You need two solid running backs and one A-grade back to compete. Right now there's no guarantee we have either. Bennet is serviceable at worst, and honorable mention All Big Ten at best.

Here's my point about Shady: if we're going to win three or four games, you might as well let the young guys play. I know this is mercenary....but it's the way it is. We gave a full year of snaps to that frosh safety from Texas a few years ago...suffered through it...and then he left. What a waste!

I've seen Bennett three times this fall. He is running hard, running fast, and looks explosive at the hole. I see a minimum of 750 yards, and likely 1000 if he gets the majority of carries. He's also the best receiver out of the backfield. Edwards wil get plenty of carries, and the 3rd and 4th guys will get enough to get experience.

As for Shady, he will start, but we will see plenty of rotation. He is not going to ''steal" playing time from anyone.

Disappointed in M. Carter and R. Hageman, those 2 could be difference makers, hopefully Kill/Claeys can get to them and get the most out of them.

The most disappointing thing isn't event that he's 3rd on the depth chart. It's that they don't even think he can handle the 3 Technique.

OL and Weights

Does anyone know what the weights of the OL were last year as compared to today. I see Ferguson is 296 lbs. Wasn't he a beast last year? Are guys as a whole lighter?

This is something that last post made me think of: I remember reading a star trib article about a JuCo lineman the Gophers had signed that came in weighing like 400 lbs and they thought he'd be really good if he was able to drop the weight. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

This is something that last post made me think of: I remember reading a star trib article about a JuCo lineman the Gophers had signed that came in weighing like 400 lbs and they thought he'd be really good if he was able to drop the weight. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

I believe that is Jeff Willis

Ooooh he graduated. I didn't know that.

EDIT:
If it is Jeff Wills, not Jeff Willis, ESPN has his name wrong. Lol.

Top Bottom