Starters leaking out from media.

No, Montgomery was 2011. He is here and participating in fall camp. They've either decided he needs a redshirt or he needs to work on some things if he wants to see the field this year.

Looks like Cobb is also going to be a guy they really want to redshirt.

Harris status misleading

The depth chart is a bit confusing because it lists the lineup in both two- and three-receiver sets. When the Gophers line up three receivers, Harris is a No. 1 with McKnight and Moulton.

Very weird to be giving snaps to a 5th year senior at a new position, especially in a transitional year for a new staff.

I'm happy for Shady. But...

The offensive line is significantly lighter this year than in years past. I would like to think this proves that the o-line was carrying too much weight to be effective last year but we will have to wait and see the result from this year. Bunders may be a prime example as he lost ~20 lbs. This should provided an interesting comparison at the very least.

I think this is the terminology in Coach Kill's system
X-Split End
Y-Tight End
Z-Flanker
V-Slot

This is the terminology used at coaching clinics, not just kill's system. Well except for the V that is knew to me. However X- split, Y - TE, and Z-flanker is standard terminology.

Man, on paper right now we're disturbingly thin at receiver and running back.

Eskeridge...come home!

I agree with you at WR and also CB, but I don't think our 3 deep at RB is thin. I actually like all three of those guys.

Disturbingly thin? Bennett, Kirkwood, Edwards, Cobb, Wright. I know 4 are freshmen, but that is 5 rb's right there. I think I would reserve "disturbingly thin" to describe the OL situation at the end of last year, not the current RB situation.

Disturbingly thin? Bennett, Kirkwood, Edwards, Cobb, Wright. I know 4 are freshmen, but that is 5 rb's right there. I think I would reserve "disturbingly thin" to describe the OL situation at the end of last year, not the current RB situation.

Kids who have never played do not (yet) qualify as "depth".

So, by your logic we have no depth at RB behind Bennett and Kirkwood? Agree to disagree. Again, I would save your doom and gloom descriptive of "disturbingly thin" for the Illinois game last year when 6 Offensive Linemen made the trip. That is disturbingly thin.

Very weird to be giving snaps to a 5th year senior at a new position, especially in a transitional year for a new staff.

Not true. Shady has been at the S spot since the Insight Bowl in 2009.

Kids who have never played do not (yet) qualify as "depth".

Sorry Studwell, I disagree completely, especially at RB. RB is a position that is about 75-80% ability and 20-25% coaching. As long as a kid can learn the playbook and is used to taking the hits, he can play college RB almost right away. We have as good of depth at RB as we have had in years.

He is not a 5th year senior. He is a senior. Played RB has a true freshman. Will never forget him getting his helmet busted at Camp Randall.

You may be wrong again

I think that this is a very telling sign in terms of how our season pans out...there is not a lot of depth on the team, way too many young players everywhere, and kill consistently talks about how we lack "speed" and "athleticism" at the skill positions and pretty much across the board for that matter. I am going to set my expectations as low as possible and just enjoy watching this team hopefully improve a lot.

I didn't understand how the national media was picking us to perform so horrible in the past year or two. You could definitely say that I was guilty of drinking the "kool-aid" per say. This year, however, I think they are pretty much right on in their predictions.

The national media's evaluation of the Gophers is based mostly on where they finished last year. It may be right but I wouldn't put too much stock into it. You will have to wait until next year before you read about how they feel about this year's team.

The one thing we know for sure is that the new management is not going to be anything like the old management. As far as what Kill has been saying about the players/team I would be careful not to assume that is where they are now. He is changing the culture and the expectations in the same way the Marines do it, i.e. tear them down and build then back up again. Have you noticed he has been building them back up the last couple of weeks?

If that's your definition of depth, RB shouldn't be the main concern. QB should be the main concern. As we don't have a QB on the roster with significant experience.

There is depth at the RB position, just not experienced depth.

No experience and no depth aren't synonyms.

I'm surprised to see how far down the depth chart Brandon Green is at WR. I thought he was a pretty impressive pass catcher.

The depth chart is a bit confusing because it lists the lineup in both two- and three-receiver sets. When the Gophers line up three receivers, Harris is a No. 1 with McKnight and Moulton.

So Moulton has leapfrogged Jones?

I'm surprised to see how far down the depth chart Brandon Green is at WR. I thought he was a pretty impressive pass catcher.

My .02 on Green is that he's soft. Not a shot at his injuries, more a comment that he's not a fearless "over the middle" kind of receiver and not much of a blocker. To play for Kill a WR must block & block well.

Depth Chart

I'm surprised to see how far down the depth chart Brandon Green is at WR. I thought he was a pretty impressive pass catcher.[/QUOTE]

I don't think just being an impressive pass catcher is going to necessarily get you playing time with coach Kill. Coach Kill wants to see that you are willing to pay the price before he is going to feel comfortable with you.

As coach Kill has said often, I am not going to change so if you want to play you better do it my way. I expect there are those coaches who pay lip service to this concept but not Coach Kill. By the way, I should point out that I have no idea if any of this applies to Brandon Green.

Pretty much expected depth chart IMO.

There are a few guys i would imagine got their "shot" at the 2 deeps that may not be a 12 game starter. Quite a few raw athletes that may come on stronger as the season wears on.
Perry at DE looks the part, but that one concerns me. It'd be nice if KGM or Garin had emerged in camp to put their relative experience to use. Cockran to me is a kid who is an absolute pup right now, but has the frame of a monster, it'd be nice to redshirt him.

James Manuel is physically impressive too, I have to wonder if he may move to LB at some point. I would think there's a place for him in run stuffing/blitz packages.

Disappointed in M. Carter and R. Hageman, those 2 could be difference makers, hopefully Kill/Claeys can get to them and get the most out of them.

Alot of young bodies may get beat up this year, but big picture there's going to be a ton of experience on this squad going forward.

...but you feel the need to be negative? How odd. :eek:

I don't see any problem with starting Shady. You may as well give him a chance to play after how hard he has worked to earn it. If he does not play well you can just start Manuel after the first game.

When I look at this depth chart, the first thing that jumps out at me;

2013!!!

Not to write off this year or next and I can't wait to see how these guys develop, but WOW, the 2013 team is going to take the field with an ENORMOUS number of players with multiple years of experience, most notably: Offensive Line. That is going to be one battle-tested offensive line by that season.

Hasn't Kill been quoted a gazillion times that the best players are the ones that will be on the field? I see this as a testiment to Kill's honesty.

I hope I'm wrong!

You need two solid running backs and one A-grade back to compete. Right now there's no guarantee we have either. Bennet is serviceable at worst, and honorable mention All Big Ten at best.

Here's my point about Shady: if we're going to win three or four games, you might as well let the young guys play. I know this is mercenary....but it's the way it is. We gave a full year of snaps to that frosh safety from Texas a few years ago...suffered through it...and then he left. What a waste!

I don't think Kill has much of a choice but to play Shady.

His mantra has always been that he is going to play the best player. Right now, Shady is the best SS on this team. You don't want to discredit yourself and not play the best player because he is a couple years older than his backup.

Additionally, Shady winning the starting job sets a good example to the number of kids who might think they are buried in the depth chart. If you look at a guy like Michael Carter, Kenny Watkins, Matt Garin, some of the OL and a few other players who currently have been displaced on the depth chart. Shady is an example of a guy who didn't focus on the depth chart, worked his tail off and thinks worked out for him (and the coaching staff was willing to play him!).

If all of the guys who are 3rd on the depth chart (or off it) use Shady as an example, that would help our program a ton.

I hope I'm wrong!

You need two solid running backs and one A-grade back to compete. Right now there's no guarantee we have either. Bennet is serviceable at worst, and honorable mention All Big Ten at best.

Here's my point about Shady: if we're going to win three or four games, you might as well let the young guys play. I know this is mercenary....but it's the way it is. We gave a full year of snaps to that frosh safety from Texas a few years ago...suffered through it...and then he left. What a waste!

I think your point about not having the top notch RB is probably accurate, but I don't have issues with our depth there.

I hear what you are saying about Shady but isn't your example exactly why you don't force PT on someone who isn't ready and just play the BPA? That could (hypothetically) again with another one of the younger S's on the roster that would play before Shady. For me, it'd be a shame if Manuel doesn't see significant PT, because he needs to develop and I think he will. However, we also need to play the best players. It will help us win/compete in games and it sends the right message to our entire team and future recruits.

I hope I'm wrong!

I get your point about Shady, but don't you have to play the best players to try and win every game no matter what? That's my take at least.

I still don't get the whole 'Eskridge won't be missed' take! He was our best RB the last three years - period.

I get your point about Shady, but don't you have to play the best players to try and win every game no matter what? That's my take at least.

A tie or even close competition at a position would go to the younger player in a year like this. But if Shady is markedly better for everybody to see? Yeah, he plays.

I still don't get the whole 'Eskridge won't be missed' take! He was our best RB the last three years - period.

Agreed 100000% percent. And he made such huge improvements over the years.

Top Bottom