Star Tribune: Gophers football players plan to threaten boycott of bowl game

Nice to hear from him. If anyone is axed, it won't be the cowardly Coyle and certainly not Kaler. It will be the coach.

From TC
Have never been more proud of our kids. I respect their rights & support their effort to make a better world! 〽️[emoji458]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The solidarity of the entire team strongly suggests that the sex was not rape and the players know it. Still, huge bureaucracies and the bureaucrats who run them, do not back down very often. Also, PC is something of a religion in Minnesota.

Totally Agree!!!!!

The President and AD invited this. Zero position on the situation. Complete leadership vacuum. I hope they are happy with the result. Does anyone know if there are public records related to past EOAA decisions and resulting punishment? It would be interesting to see the track record. Though, the way this is unfolding, I'm guessing the public will be exposed to it in the coming weeks.

Totally agree with the bolded And got blasted for saying so months ago...this is the result of leaders putting their head in the sand hoping the problem just goes away.

The solidarity of the entire team strongly suggests that the team believes the sex was not rape based on the information they have. Still, huge bureaucracies and the bureaucrats who run them, do not back down very often. Also, PC is something of a religion in Minnesota.

FTFY

If TC is going to stand up to his superiors misrepresenting his involvement then I have never wanted him as coach more.

Plus a billion agreed!!!!!

The solidarity of the entire team strongly suggests that the sex was not rape and the players know it. Still, huge bureaucracies and the bureaucrats who run them, do not back down very often. Also, PC is something of a religion in Minnesota.

It is a powerful group taking advantage of a powerless one. It is bullying at its core. Kaler and his Gestapo are used to powerless people backing down and slinking quietly away. The players are showing a great deal of courage for standing up to these thugs and deserve our support

They're standing up for players being treated unfairly. 5 players have been recommended for expulsion, and 5 for year long suspensions. You think they are just supposed to be OK with that?

I have never been prouder of Gopher football players. This shows unity, caring for others, unselfishness and team spirit. Also, a lot of GUTS. We have 3 very weak people in Kahler, Coyle and Claeys. Let's clean house!!!! If the players have balls, we need the adults to show some balls, too

Good points, but the information they have must be very persuasive for the entire team to act on it.

Considering that the woman took the "5th" on the stand and said afterwards that she was happy with their agreement on lifting the restraining order, it probably didn't have to be very persuasive.

I have never been prouder of Gopher football players. This shows unity, caring for others, unselfishness and team spirit. Also, a lot of GUTS. We have 3 very weak people in Kahler, Coyle and Claeys. Let's clean house!!!! If the players have balls, we need the adults to show some balls, too

Claeys just announced his support for the players...

Read the comments for this story on Sportscenter...

Was a combination of people being shocked we had a football team. And others shouting for scholarships to be pulled. Despite how things turn out, public perception has already been swayed.

Anyone that admitted to having sex with the girl that night should be expelled from the University unless there is evidence of:

1.) The girl expressing the desire to have sex with multiple partners the same night when not under the influence of alcohol

2.) That the girl was not drunk (subjective) on the night of the incident - then this is a simple rape (police did not see it as such as IT WASN'T) or a case of regret - which should not be a crime as I am sure all of the guys involved regret it at this point and they are not charging the girl.

3.) That the girl performed oral sex on any of the people involved over the course of the incident. Sorry, this should be construed as a sign of consent and you can no longer pin this 100% on the males at this point

Barring that, anyone engaging in group sex with a girl that is drunk is too stupid to represent the University and should be expelled. This is not a 'boys will be boys' incident as EVERYONE has been educated on this point that ignorance should not be a defense and EVERYONE can clearly see this is a situation that has danger written all over it.

As for the 'harassment' or anyone at the apartment but not taking part in sex - sorry, that should be a barely slap on the wrist and the prior suspensions should already cover it.

I just read his tweet and withdraw what i have said about him.

Ya, the fact Coyle made it sound like it was Claeys decision or at the least implied he supported the decision in the announcement is sooooo frickin' chicken stuffff...beyond belief cowardly!!!

100% Boycott and coaches supporting players should tell us all we need to know about what happened and how it has been handled. The players are looking for new schools and the coaches new jobs is a very real possibility that I am sure has not eluded them in their boycott. They are not just blindly lining behind something they don't strongly believe was wrong. The seniors standing up is one thing...they have one game. Others are just beginning their careers and it's very real it maybe won't be here.

Let's see if if boycott support spreads to other teams. Reggie Lynch is going to be the next guy effected in all likelihood.

What is this girl going through right now? Can't imagine...

Will any girl ever volunteer coming forward?

Was a combination of people being shocked we had a football team. And others shouting for scholarships to be pulled. Despite how things turn out, public perception has already been swayed.

This is a good point. I know a lot of people on here don't care what the public thinks but we should be concerned especially since the U is a public university. I scanned the online comments in the PP and most posters seem lined up against the team. Many of them might be clueless but the court of public opinion is likely to have more sway than a relatively small, but albeit vocal, number of fans.

As many have stated, the U's administration has some serious damage control work to do. If it hasn't already, I'm afraid this thing is about to spin out of control to the point of no return. Just when I thought it couldn't worse after the whole mega-ton episode, now we have this :(

Yep, even go look at the replies to Claey's statement on Twitter, which presumably has more people who root for the Gophers than ESPN, the players are not going to be the ones rallying public support to their side.

I've seen a lot of comments about 10 players raping a girl too. Which very well may not be even close to true.

This is a good point. I know a lot of people on here don't care what the public thinks but we should be concerned especially since the U is a public university. I scanned the online comments in the PP and most posters seem lined up against the team. Many of them might be clueless but the court of public opinion is likely to have more sway than a relatively small, but albeit vocal, number of fans.

As many have stated, the U's administration has some serious damage control work to do. If it hasn't already, I'm afraid this thing is about to spin out of control to the point of no return. Just when I thought it couldn't worse after the whole mega-ton episode, now we have this :(

I thought GopherLady set it well when suggesting the University has done nothing to communicate about his. They've handed it to the Players and the Public. This is their fault, hiding behind the lens of Privacy Laws, while details of the event have been published in the Star Tribune. ALL of which has been part of public record.

I think the frustration here is that 4 players have been the center in this event and rightfully so. But there are 6 who have had their names dragged into this without really any level of fact from the police or the university as to why their name belongs with the 4. That's wrong and not fair to them.

To the other 4, you made some horrible decisions, you were given a privilege few achieve and this is the consequence of taking advantage of it.

Anyone that admitted to having sex with the girl that night should be expelled from the University unless there is evidence of:

1.) The girl expressing the desire to have sex with multiple partners the same night when not under the influence of alcohol

2.) That the girl was not drunk (subjective) on the night of the incident - then this is a simple rape (police did not see it as such as IT WASN'T) or a case of regret - which should not be a crime as I am sure all of the guys involved regret it at this point and they are not charging the girl.

3.) That the girl performed oral sex on any of the people involved over the course of the incident. Sorry, this should be construed as a sign of consent and you can no longer pin this 100% on the males at this point

Barring that, anyone engaging in group sex with a girl that is drunk is too stupid to represent the University and should be expelled. This is not a 'boys will be boys' incident as EVERYONE has been educated on this point that ignorance should not be a defense and EVERYONE can clearly see this is a situation that has danger written all over it.

As for the 'harassment' or anyone at the apartment but not taking part in sex - sorry, that should be a barely slap on the wrist and the prior suspensions should already cover it.

Going down the road that a woman under the influence of alcohol can't give consent is a very slippery slope. If I have sex with my wife when she's drunk am I raping her? If a sober woman slept with a man after he drank a six pack is that rape too? Is it still rape even if the woman is glad that she did it the next morning? I think we would all agree that having sex with someone who is passed out is rape but isn't there some nuance there between intoxication and incapacitation?

Where there other people present other than African American football players when the alleged incident went down?

If they were present and only the players were singled out by the EOAA, there is a bias against the players and a miscarriage of justice.Those others present, other women, other non-football students should all be given suspensions if there is uniform application of EOAA reviews.

The wrestling team that dealt zanax none of them where expelled. Were they all white? All the football players were African Americans.

There has to be a question about uniform application. It is fair to raise the question of racial bias. Just saying.

Who appointed the almost all women EOAA members? They are overzealous in their power to protect women to the point of castrating & ruining male student's lives. They need to change the composition and have an oversight authority over the EOAA.

Finally, they need to calibrate the judicial due process and the standards that are applied for expulsions Code Of Ethics or not.

I would like to hear the details asap. It's hard to take a position on this otherwise..

Right now, there are people on twitter calling these guys rapists, but no one knows the full story. unfortunately, our players are not going to win in the court of public opinion.

I would try to have a conversation with some of these people who are crying rape, and see if we could have a substantive conversation about this specific event based on the facts that have been reported... but this is such a sensitive topic that I am afraid most people, including myself, will be able to approach this even handedly...

I hope that the girl involved is ok

What if it appeared consensual and everyone was under the influence of alcohol?

Where there other people present other than African American football players when the alleged incident went down?

If they were present and only the players were singled out by the EOAA, there is a bias against the players and a miscarriage of justice.

The wrestling team that dealt zanax none of them where expelled. Were they all white?

There has to be a question about uniform application. It is fair to raise the question of racial bias. Just saying.

Who appointed the almost all women EOAA members? They are overzealous in their power to protect women to the point of ruining male student's lives. They need to change the composition and have an oversight authority over the EOAA.

Finally, they need to calibrate the judicial due process and the standards that are applied for expulsions Code Of Ethics or not.

Someone told me that law students are involved in EOAA investigations... this can't be true, right?

Yep, even go look at the replies to Claey's statement on Twitter, which presumably has more people who root for the Gophers than ESPN, the players are not going to be the ones rallying public support to their side.

Holy moly. You weren't kidding. I'd say it's 90 - 95% negative and anti-football program.

This is a world where a late term unborn child can be snuffed if the women regrets its existence. Why does this surprise you people?

Any player who participates in this boycott should be kicked off the team and his scholarship should be taken away. If we don't play in the bowl game - so be it.

Why? This (lawyer prepared) speech was read by leaders of the team that are never going to play again if they boycott bowl. The whole team and coaches support it.

Top Bottom