Star Tribune: Gophers football players plan to threaten boycott of bowl game

I expect the B1G will step in as well if the boycott continues... They don't want the embarrassment either

Any player who participates in this boycott should be kicked off the team and his scholarship should be taken away. If we don't play in the bowl game - so be it.

Stupid comment. Proud of the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claeys losing control over the team.

Just the opposite. This shows a united team, supporting one another, and the coaches. The players feel that Claeys was disrespected because they know he didn't suspend the players.

This topic had me worked up beyond belief when it broke again on Tuesday. I still am very displeased, but will try to be more calm.

The players have done a very courageous thing by standing up for their teammates. This EOAA process is very dubious, and I realize it has become very standard practice, since 2011 or so, it is still very unfair to the accused. The standard of proof does not even match the level of a civil case, and we know what the Hennepin County attorney and police concluded.

I have heard some suggestions that the members of this EOAA group are very "progressive" and possibly somewhat radical. I am no sure that this group should be the jury, judge and executioner. In some cases they will ruin the lives of several of these ten players. The news that they were adding five more players who were not even in the room, and suggested extreme punishment tells me that they went way beyond reasonable action, and that Kaler and our AD went right along with all of it.

This would have been unfair even if they had gone half as far, but the extreme nature of this decision, probably will expose the serious challenges of this Title 9 interpretation, now that the players are standing up with the boycott.

The decisions of the Prosecutors and the police last fall is very telling. This is not a 100 percent "he said, she said" situation, since we know know that the RB Djam created a fairly large amount of video, which the police and prosecutor were given access to by DJam.

There is little doubt that the professionals (Police and Attorneys) would have leaned towards Criminal charges if it was even close, due the unsavory nature of the events that night, and clearly they saw a lot of strong evidence that did not support any charges. This woman certainly had Civil recourse as well.

I question the professional investigation credentials of the EOAA process, and I question the objectivity of the process, beginning with some of the underlying assumptions they may have made before even starting.

Nailed it!!

I can't believe some of you think that the U administration is going to negotiate with the players on this. That seems highly unlikely, virtually impossible. That is not the way an organization like the U works. This is in issue of institutional control. I know many of you think of the U primarily in terms of athletics, but that is only a small part of the organization. The administration will look at this as a challenge to there control, and will not be impressed.

You're right in the sense they won't 'win' per se. In that sense they've already played their hand. But they've certainly made life very uncomfortable for the administration. Kahler and Coyle get to spend weeks answering questions about this, and now have the legacy of being in charge when the team threatened to boycott over a very questionable discipline decision. It's a pretty powerful move in that respect and I give the team credit for their balls. They are walking the walk. I do hope they are making the decision with eyes open. They are risking their scholarships and future in football. I interpret that as a statement of just how strongly they feel. Impressive and selfless.

Sounds like the girl's story doesn't have any merit since the police declined to do anything...

How would you feel if 10 of your buddies got punished for something even the police wouldn't touch?:rolleyes:

Glad you're catching up after your comment about coach Claeys.

Without doing too much research on this topic, this looks ont he surface to be very similar to a situation at Iowa State a few years back where Iowa State President Steven Leath removed ISU MBB player Bubu Palo from the Cyclone basketball squad but allowed him to remain on scholarship and in school following and alleged sexual assault. The police never prosecuted Palo as they determined the alleged victim tampered with evidence and was deemed unreliable. The University investigated and cleared Palo and he returned to the team but the victim filed an appeal to the President and he reviewed the case and decided to remove Palo from the basketball team but allowed him to stay in school on scholarship and graduate. Made no sense to me because if you believe he was guilty he should have been removed from school as he should have been deemed a threat to the student body. If you do not believe he did it, then move on. Palo has sued the school for damages and has spent time in the NBA D League and was expected to be a potential starter that year even though he had not seen many minutes in his career due to injury.

This story, if it turns out like the one at ISU, will not go away any time soon. There will be lawsuits and wrongful damage claims. I feel for you Gopher fans as this is just not a fun situation and no one wins. Best of luck.

WWCO reporter was very firm in saying the players are upset with Kaler and Coyle NOT Claeys. Said that Claeys was not part of the decision to suspend the players. Sorry if that doesn't fit the agenda, but that's what he just said.

Channel 5 is about to play the video of Wolitarsky's video. Yep, they are upset with Coyle and Kaler. Not Claeys and the coaching staff.

WWCO reporter was very firm in saying the players are upset with Kaler and Coyle NOT Claeys. Said that Claeys was not part of the decision to suspend the players. Sorry if that doesn't fit the agenda, but that's what he just said.

IF Claeys is being insubordinate, it will be house cleaning time.

LOL

you made the accusation that "they gang banged the first drunken girl they could find" and the girl TRIED to press changes and the police didn't find any merit to me. From that you can essentially infer that it was consensual.

Is having sex against the Student Code of Conduct?

Does every player violate the Student Code of Conduct if a girl they have sex with just randomly comes out and accuses them?

It's actually getting to be pretty common. There have been some articles recently on exactly that, young men kicked out of school after being accused of date rape. The University doesn't have to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. They tend to side with the accuser. Here are a couple somewhat on those lines from the Strib (best I could do quickly) as well as one on a wrestler from UNI that actually went to prison over a he said she said situation.

http://www.startribune.com/colleges...lts-provokes-questions-of-fairness/394672721/
http://www.startribune.com/campus-sexual-assault-policies-draw-scrutiny/334869351/

http://www.twincities.com/2012/04/1...ey-to-olympic-trials-detoured-through-prison/

Glad you're catching up after your comment about coach Claeys.

Ya, I replied while I was reading the thread. Sometimes threads move too fast to continually read everything before posting.

My mistake about Claeys

The President and AD invited this. Zero position on the situation. Complete leadership vacuum. I hope they are happy with the result. Does anyone know if there are public records related to past EOAA decisions and resulting punishment? It would be interesting to see the track record. Though, the way this is unfolding, I'm guessing the public will be exposed to it in the coming weeks.

The University has been pretty clear that Claeys wasn't the one responsible for the decision to discipline the players. Consulted in this instance is pretty clearly an indication that they asked him, but didn't base their decision on his answer.

That said, it's weird why that the players didn't address the reason the 5 new players were disciplined. I'm not sure how anyone can have such a strong opinion when we don't have any idea what they are being disciplined for.

This topic had me worked up beyond belief when it broke again on Tuesday. I still am very displeased, but will try to be more calm.

The players have done a very courageous thing by standing up for their teammates. This EOAA process is very dubious, and I realize it has become very standard practice, since 2011 or so, it is still very unfair to the accused. The standard of proof does not even match the level of a civil case, and we know what the Hennepin County attorney and police concluded.

I have heard some suggestions that the members of this EOAA group are very "progressive" and possibly somewhat radical. I am no sure that this group should be the jury, judge and executioner. In some cases they will ruin the lives of several of these ten players. The news that they were adding five more players who were not even in the room, and suggested extreme punishment tells me that they went way beyond reasonable action, and that Kaler and our AD went right along with all of it.

This would have been unfair even if they had gone half as far, but the extreme nature of this decision, probably will expose the serious challenges of this Title 9 interpretation, now that the players are standing up with the boycott.

The decisions of the Prosecutors and the police last fall is very telling. This is not a 100 percent "he said, she said" situation, since we know know that the RB Djam created a fairly large amount of video, which the police and prosecutor were given access to by DJam.

There is little doubt that the professionals (Police and Attorneys) would have leaned towards Criminal charges if it was even close, due the unsavory nature of the events that night, and clearly they saw a lot of strong evidence that did not support any charges. This woman certainly had Civil recourse as well.

I question the professional investigation credentials of the EOAA process, and I question the objectivity of the process, beginning with some of the underlying assumptions they may have made before even starting.

The District attorney has limited resources. If they cannot convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt that the assault occurred they will not press charges. It's not enough for it to be "even close".

Please make this stop. I feel for the players but this is horrible for the U.

I Have absolutely no idea about the merits of this investigation but prosecutors rarely bring rape cases - i don't think that fact here tells us all that much about what actually happened.

Honest question - what are Kaler / Coyle supposed to do - overrule this committee? That would require some very rock solid reason.

What a mess.

It's actually getting to be pretty common. There have been some articles recently on exactly that, young men kicked out of school after being accused of date rape. The University doesn't have to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. They tend to side with the accuser. Here are a couple somewhat on those lines from the Strib (best I could do quickly) as well as one on a wrestler from UNI that actually went to prison over a he said she said situation.

http://www.startribune.com/colleges...lts-provokes-questions-of-fairness/394672721/
http://www.startribune.com/campus-sexual-assault-policies-draw-scrutiny/334869351/

http://www.twincities.com/2012/04/1...ey-to-olympic-trials-detoured-through-prison/

Sigh.

The players should be demanding the eeo nazis resignation as well.

The University has been pretty clear that Claeys wasn't the one responsible for the decision to discipline the players. Consulted in this instance is pretty clearly an indication that they asked him, but didn't base their decision on his answer.

That said, it's weird why that the players didn't address the reason the 5 new players were disciplined. I'm not sure how anyone can have such a strong opinion when we don't have any idea what they are being disciplined for.

you actually expected the players to comment on each individual player's situation? that wasn't going to happen. they will discuss this closed doors with the university administration

Winfield Sr says if Coyle and kaler remain, Jr is transfering. Can't say I blame him

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Top Bottom