Star Tribune: Gophers football players plan to threaten boycott of bowl game

per Joe:

Sources have told the Star Tribune the University of Minnesota football players will threaten a boycott of the team’s bowl game in protest of 10 players being suspended from the team Tuesday in the latest fallout of a September sexual assault investigation.

The Gophers had a players-only meeting Thursday and later brought in head coach Tracy Claeys to inform him of their plans, sources said. According to two parents of players, all of the team’s players are planning a united announcement Thursday evening to say they will boycott the Holiday Bowl if “their demands are not met” — a reference to their disagreement with the decision to suspend the 10 players.

Five of those 10 football players suspended from the team now face expulsion from school, the players’ attorney, Lee Hutton, said Wednesday night. Four other players face a one-year suspension and another could get probation stemming from the Sept. 2 incident. The school discipline comes weeks after a criminal investigation resulted in no arrests or charges.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-players-plan-to-threaten-boycott-of-bowl-game/406928136/

Go Gophers!!

Be heard on this GH'ers, its time to take the program back from those inside our university who would wish to destroy it.

Call, email, blow up social media and cause as big of a ruckus as you can. The university of minnesota administration lives in a bubble, and a torrent of public outcry will pop that pretty damn quick.

per Joe:

Sources have told the Star Tribune the University of Minnesota football players will threaten a boycott of the team’s bowl game in protest of 10 players being suspended from the team Tuesday in the latest fallout of a September sexual assault investigation.

The Gophers had a players-only meeting Thursday and later brought in head coach Tracy Claeys to inform him of their plans, sources said. According to two parents of players, all of the team’s players are planning a united announcement Thursday evening to say they will boycott the Holiday Bowl if “their demands are not met” — a reference to their disagreement with the decision to suspend the 10 players.

Five of those 10 football players suspended from the team now face expulsion from school, the players’ attorney, Lee Hutton, said Wednesday night. Four other players face a one-year suspension and another could get probation stemming from the Sept. 2 incident. The school discipline comes weeks after a criminal investigation resulted in no arrests or charges.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-players-plan-to-threaten-boycott-of-bowl-game/406928136/

Go Gophers!!

Wow.

Now ask yourself, would ALL the team's player do this if they felt they were supporting rapists? Maybe, but it seems, ...unlikely.

We still don't know what happened, but it appears that a whole bunch of people a lot closer to this than we are feel these guys are getting railroaded.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Reusse nailed it. It's the University of Missouri all over again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Passing up your final game ever for this, would be very telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's quite obvious at this point. This is going to get much, much worse before it gets even the slightest bit better.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good for them Calling out the spineless, gutless, administration from the Prez on down. I also hope there is some type of protest at the EOAA

well-bye-animated-gif.gif

Good for them. I'm proud of the players for standing up for what they believe to be right.

This really, REALLY sucks for the Holiday Bowl though, as it puts them into a nearly impossible position. Yikes...

Any player who participates in this boycott should be kicked off the team and his scholarship should be taken away. If we don't play in the bowl game - so be it.

I support the players 100%. Change doesn't happen without standing up to the bullies in charge!

Good for the players. A boycott is warranted to deal with our inept administration.

Any player who participates in this boycott should be kicked off the team and his scholarship should be taken away. If we don't play in the bowl game - so be it.

Haha

Oh man. This is a **** show.

100% support this!

This horrible news for our program and university. If you are more interested in waging a war on political correctness or the EEOC then maybe this makes you happy. The whole sad situation is a mess. I can't see how anything good can come of the boycott. If you think this is going to benefit the football team in anyway I question your judgement. This will not lead the revolution; it will only hurt our program.

And they say millennials are selfish, lazy, etc.

By the way, what should parents tell their kids about what the players are standing up for? Health care, compensation, equal treatment, consequence-free gangbangs?

Every single player on the team is part of this boycott. Has it crossed your mind that they might feel their teammates and friends might be taken advantage of? That there just might be something you don't know that they do?

I understand why they feel the way they do. Hopefully some reasonable resolution can be reached. Start with clearing the 4 who were not even in the room.

Or better yet - go gang bang the first drunken girl you can find. I am sure you have plenty of buddies who would help you do it.

Do you honestly believe this about being able to have a gang bang?

This horrible news for our program and university. If you are more interested in waging a war on political correctness or the EEOC then maybe this makes you happy. The whole sad situation is a mess. I can't see how anything good can come of the boycott. If you think this is going to benefit the football team in anyway I question your judgement. This will not lead the revolution; it will only hurt our program.

ofc its a mess and no one wanted this dude but guess what? we're here now and you better believe we're going to fight for justice to be done.

Can someone catch me up on why 10 players are being suspended?

I mean this came from the article

Some of the players were directly accused in the alleged sexual assault; the involvement of others is unclear. Hutton, who is representing all 10 players, said he is working on their appeals.

Is there anything more known about this?

And apparently this is from the accusation of 1 woman?

How the hell do 10 people get in trouble from a reported (although police declined to even press charges) assault from ONE WOMAN?

Top Bottom