Shooter: Minnesota, conceptually, has considered either renovating Williams Arena or building a new arena in the parking lots north of arena

This take is so awful it actually is almost as bad as your terrible math in your other post. Have you ever been to an event where they tent off part of the arena? If you have you know it doesn't make it feel like the arena is smaller, it makes it look like you couldn't sell enough tickets. Plus it doesn't change the atmosphere either because you are still 5k in a 10k stadium.

Good lord, if I had a nickel for every one of your terrible takes around here I could fund a new arena myself.
Put that money towards an NIL fund and we would win multiple national titles in all sports.

It's really not that hard, you make the new arena have a "lower bowl only" configuration where you use black tents to make it seem/feel that the upper bowl doesn't even exist. Then the full open config is for major sports or any event where they know they're selling more than 5-6k tickets.
Simply fill in the upper empties with cardboard cutouts (DEI compliant, of course). Pipe in some cheers…wallah!

Not only have I been to "non-Gopher/Big School HS Hockey games" that have drawn less than 40% capacity, I have been Gopher Men's hockey games that have drawn less than 40% at Mariucci.

No, the fan experience is not great. I'm not arguing otherwise.

Do I think it would hinder the Gopher Women's Hockey program from being able to compete for WCHA and NCAA titles? No, I don't. Even if it does, if it's for the greater good of the Gopher Athletic program, I would be totally fine with it.

Having said all that, I do not think it is a likely scenario but everything should at least be considered.
It wont hurt the team per se (excusing the home ice advantage stuff as we know raucous crowds can change games) but it will definitely hurt the fan experience. Ridder is a lot of fun for hockey games when it is filled I used to go all the time. (back when we had Krissy Wendell and the other Olympians)

Agreed it will never happen.

14,000 x $50 = $700,000
10000 x $50.7 = $507,000
Thanks for catching my typo.

It was supposed to say:
"Average ticket prices only need to be > than 1.4x higher to net more revenue from a sold out 10k vs a sold out 14k."

Times, obviously, not percentage. Typo

Have you ever been to an event where they tent off part of the arena?
Yes and it's completely fine and appropriate. Hence why several P5 schools do it this way as opposed to maintaining completely separate arenas for different arena sports.

Keeping trying bud, one day you'll get one.

Last edited:

And the Badgers presumably have to do that because their Men's hockey team shares their arena with Men's & Women's basketball.
I don't think they "had" to do it. Kohl was opened in 1998 and women's hockey was in there along with men's and basketball, until LaBahn opened in 2012.

I can see where they decided that the program with the most national championships in NCAA women's hockey history deserved its own home, or some such reasoning.

Was at the game last night and my kid says, this place really is a dump and I can see why people want a new arena.

To get to our seats we had to twice turn around and go back down and up the other side of the stairs because there was a dead end and not complete access. Not sure how, with the skinny footprint, they would be able to modernize the facility with enough seats inside the shell. Maybe lower the floor and have top load seating light 3M arena, but not sure how you'd fit in a quality concourse or any luxury seating.

Lou Nanne was on KFAN and said that basketball deserves a new facility and would build right in the same location, playing at Target Center and/or Xcel (even a split to draw fans from the east and west). He also makes a good point that often after remodels there is regret that they should have just built new.

I just don't see the consultant coming back with a viable option to remodel without going significantly under 10,000 seats.

Was at the game last night and my kid says, this place really is a dump and I can see why people want a new arena.

To get to our seats we had to twice turn around and go back down and up the other side of the stairs because there was a dead end and not complete access. Not sure how, with the skinny footprint, they would be able to modernize the facility with enough seats inside the shell. Maybe lower the floor and have top load seating light 3M arena, but not sure how you'd fit in a quality concourse or any luxury seating.

Lou Nanne was on KFAN and said that basketball deserves a new facility and would build right in the same location, playing at Target Center and/or Xcel (even a split to draw fans from the east and west). He also makes a good point that often after remodels there is regret that they should have just built new.

I just don't see the consultant coming back with a viable option to remodel without going significantly under 10,000 seats.
You've clearly never tried to move around US Bank stadium. That place is a mess to move between the various levels and clubs.

You've clearly never tried to move around US Bank stadium. That place is a mess to move between the various levels and clubs.
US Bank is obviously a beautiful facility but I couldn't agree more. It is impossible to move around that stadium. There is no main concourse to my knowledge that walks around the entire stadium. You have to zig zag, go in different entrances to different zones, etc.

Lou Nanne grew up playing professional hockey without a helmet. That’s a lot of hard hits to the head. And that kid of yours may need a dope 👋 slap.

Ridder Arena is like their home. With all their trophies. The right size for the amount of fans. Their practice rink.

Their lockers. They come out after games and hang out after the game with family, friends, the team. Lots of kids around too. Teams of kids come. It is a social thing.

Ridder also hosts various tourrnaments and other stuff.

And/or to do a really quality job on a remodel, it would cost $$$. Like, not enough savings over just tearing it down and starting over, versus how much less you would get?

Top Bottom