Shooter: Minnesota, conceptually, has considered either renovating Williams Arena or building a new arena in the parking lots north of arena

BleedGopher

Reaction score
This is music to my ears. I can see a case being made for both a total rebuild and a massive renovation, but whichever direction they go they have to go all-in on one of the two. There hasn't been a meaningful investment into The Barn since 1994, and to date, Coyle has shown absolutely no vision of making this a priority. But it's long overdue and it will take a few years to build momentum, but the longer we wait, the worse the situation gets.

We have to have a bold visionary to see this through, someone who's willing to paint a vision for a better program, a better experience for fans and players, and someone who's willing to take backlash for what some will consider a historic venue and for a team that has been downtrodden for so long. This will also be done with the Wolves new ownership likely fighting for public funds as well for a brand new arena. There will be pressure to do a join arena, but Gophers need to be steadfast against that.

Whatever direction we go, we can't half-ass this, and I hope Shooter is correct and that this isn't just a casual conversation among the Dave Mona crowd (sorry Dave, not meaning to pick on you per se, but we need action on this from Coyle).

—The University of Minnesota, conceptually, has considered either renovating Williams Arena or building a new arena in the parking lots north of the arena.

Go Gophers!!

This is music to my ears. I can see a case being made for both a total rebuild and a massive renovation, but whichever direction they go they have to go all-in on one of the two. There hasn't been a meaningful investment into The Barn since 1994, and to date, Coyle has shown absolutely no vision of making this a priority. But it's long overdue and it will take a few years to build momentum, but the longer we wait, the worse the situation gets.

We have to have a bold visionary to see this through, someone who's willing to paint a vision for a better program, a better experience for fans and players, and someone who's willing to take backlash for what some will consider a historic venue and for a team that has been downtrodden for so long. This will also be done with the Wolves new ownership likely fighting for public funds as well for a brand new arena. There will be pressure to do a join arena, but Gophers need to be steadfast against that.

Whatever direction we go, we can't half-ass this, and I hope Shooter is correct and that this isn't just a casual conversation among the Dave Mona crowd (sorry Dave, not meaning to pick on you per se, but we need action on this from Coyle).

—The University of Minnesota, conceptually, has considered either renovating Williams Arena or building a new arena in the parking lots north of the arena.

Go Gophers!!
The Wolves can play there. In exchange for rent and $13 million per year in NIL funds.

Every time I watch The Bells of St. Mary's, which I did again this season, it occurs to me that even the "modern" schools they're comparing their facility to--as well as the new school they themselves are able to build--will eventually become old and in need of renewal or replacement. In either case, the renewal of 1994 brought Williams Arena up to code and kicked the can down the road aways, but it was only a stopgap along the way to a more permanent renewal or replacement that provides the fans with something than can be called customer friendly. It is now 30 years later.

I work in a 64-year-old building. With good maintenance and rehab and periodic renovation (which it's now overdue for, by the way), it can be sufficient for our purposes indefinitely. We have plenty of floor space and water and electrical supply capacity, and the rats that occasionally come up through the basement toilets haven't bitten anyone...yet. I don't know about rats, but Williams Arena isn't sufficient and hasn't been for well more than a half century. The next step needs to be a dramatic one. If a renewal, it needs to be 1994 times five.

Nobody would love to keep that place more than I would, but let's not pretend it's irreplaceable, and let's not pretend it's OK as is. It's not. I'd mourn its loss, but I've gotten over the loss of Memorial Stadium and will go on if the Barn comes down.

It’s the curved roof support system that creates most of the limitations for blocked site lines and remodeling. They would need to radically change the roof support similar to U Washington. Or tear down everything behind the front wall and entrance, if they wanted to preserve that look.

And Shooter is not wrong on this one. Heard Coyle talk about this at a loyalty program event. They were hoping study on renovation options would be "done" in January. It is a pipe dream to think about a new arena - no one is going to step up with a $200 million price tag if you talk a new on campus arena. And, the Athletic Department is not dumb enough to move off basketball off campus. Even if Target Center becomes available after Lore and A-Rod move the Timberwolves, that is not an option.

I have my Pipe Dream idea. Build a new, modern arena on the State Fair grounds just behind the grandstand. the arena can be the home for Gopher Mens' and Womens' Basketball and Volleyball, and can also host all of the State Fair Grandstand shows.

no issues with parking - just use the State Fair lots.

If the arena has to stay on campus, I would rather see an entirely new building as opposed to trying to remodel Williams from the inside-out. either way, the Gophers would have to play somewhere else for at least one season. The X?

I have my Pipe Dream idea. Build a new, modern arena on the State Fair grounds just behind the grandstand. the arena can be the home for Gopher Mens' and Womens' Basketball and Volleyball, and can also host all of the State Fair Grandstand shows.

no issues with parking - just use the State Fair lots.

If the arena has to stay on campus, I would rather see an entirely new building as opposed to trying to remodel Williams from the inside-out. either way, the Gophers would have to play somewhere else for at least one season. The X?
Just what have you been smoking tonight? 🤔

An obvious question is. Does the lack of a modern arena impact recruIting? Does hanging on to The Barn for tradition hurt us in the long run? I would say that it does. We are behind the rest of the B1G in this regard.

if we do rebuild or extensively renovate, let’s give the students better seats!

Love the uniqueness and history of Williams arena and have fond memories from my youth attending games and practices there as well as a shoot around on the court. Would hate to see it go but if a new arena helps recruiting then so be it I guess. Just hope the fan experience is good and a new arena gets as loud or more as Williams can when the team is rolling.

An obvious question is. Does the lack of a modern arena impact recruIting? Does hanging on to The Barn for tradition hurt us in the long run? I would say that it does. We are behind the rest of the B1G in this regard.

I would think the important parts to the players are the court, the bench, and the locker room. Are these areas lagging behind other teams? Also, how full the venue is on home games. The players don't have to worry about sitting in an obstructed view seat or how close they are to concessions/bathrooms. When this team wins, the barn still fills up. Definitely agree they need a better student section, but I don't think the venue is what keeps students away these days.

The first time I saw a game in the barn I fell in love with it. That was 1969. In December of 2017 I went to the Gophers versus the Razorbacks in Arkansas. It was the first time I experienced a game in a state of the art facility and wow; it was impressive. I agree that a winning team will draw fans and that ultimately more high caliber players. I still like the barn but I am no longer in love with it. It needs to be improved or replaced. It won't hurt attendance or recruiting if they do it and it can only help. Besides what is 200 million among friends.

Love the uniqueness and history of Williams arena and have fond memories from my youth attending games and practices there as well as a shoot around on the court. Would hate to see it go but if a new arena helps recruiting then so be it I guess. Just hope the fan experience is good and a new arena gets as loud or more as Williams can when the team is rolling.
This, to me, is the dilemma. Architecture is not what it used to be, and it will be exceedingly difficult to find someone who can design a place that strikes the ideal balance between spaciousness and intimacy. Not to mention build a place that has architectural character and interest--a place that becomes its own icon and is treasured by future generations like we treasure Williams.

It is possible to build a modern arena with an old-time feel. google the Sanford Pentagon. It's an arena in Sioux Falls that was designed to look like a "Hoosiers" era gym. People I know who have attended games there have given it rave reviews. it only seats 3,250 - but the same design principles could be used to build a larger arena.

that could give you the old-time feel with modern conveniences and amenities.

(and then if the U could make nice with T. Denny, maybe he would kick in a few bucks to help with the project...........)

This, to me, is the dilemma. Architecture is not what it used to be, and it will be exceedingly difficult to find someone who can design a place that strikes the ideal balance between spaciousness and intimacy. Not to mention build a place that has architectural character and interest--a place that becomes its own icon and is treasured by future generations like we treasure Williams.
This is why LSD was invented. :)

It is possible to build a modern arena with an old-time feel. google the Sanford Pentagon. It's an arena in Sioux Falls that was designed to look like a "Hoosiers" era gym. People I know who have attended games there have given it rave reviews. it only seats 3,250 - but the same design principles could be used to build a larger arena.

that could give you the old-time feel with modern conveniences and amenities.

(and then if the U could make nice with T. Denny, maybe he would kick in a few bucks to help with the project...........)
What amenities are you looking for? Do we think recruits really care how many bathrooms are up on the suite level?

I could be wrong but I don't think the Kohl Center has much of an impact when a recruit picks WI over MN. Most arenas in college basketball are old to some degree. Or they're very bland like the Kohl Center.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Kohl Center has much of an impact when a recruit picks WI over MN. Most arenas in college basketball are old to some degree. Or they're very bland like the Kohl Center.
Good point. I am simply asking the questions, not suggesting that I kave the answer. I will say that both the N’W and Neb new arenas look impressive. BTW, I saw my first game in the Barn in ‘58.

Good point. I am simply asking the questions, not suggesting that I kave the answer. I will say that both the N’W and Neb new arenas look impressive. BTW, I saw my first game in the Barn in ‘58.
It might have a marginal impact for some recruits but I can't imagine it's a deciding factor. I feel like practice facilities are more important as that is where they spend the bulk of the time.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

After we build a new arena, I wonder what the next excuse will be on why people aren't showing up? We aren't allowed to state the obvious, which is losing games, so maybe the popcorn is stale? We are a pro sports town? The Coke could be more fizzy? Need flashier uniforms?

After we build a new arena, I wonder what the next excuse will be on why people aren't showing up? We aren't allowed to state the obvious, which is losing games, so maybe the popcorn is stale? We are a pro sports town? The Coke could be more fizzy? Need flashier uniforms?
Good beer is $15 a pint.

1) The seats are too narrow for a normal sized person, especially if you are holding a winter coat.
2) The drink cup holders limit the leg space, if you are trying to grab your drink, while holding your coat. Good luck if you are over 6'.
3) The viewing angle of many of the seats are not comfortable.

The Barn has outlived it's usefulness and should be replaced with a modern version, that pays respect to the current arena. JMO.

It might have a marginal impact for some recruits but I can't imagine it's a deciding factor. I feel like practice facilities are more important as that is where they spend the bulk of the time.

Maybe I'm wrong though.
There are many, many factors that affect recruiting. The arena is towards the bottom of the list, but a factor. Winning tradition, NIL, practice facilities, fan support, the coach, distance from home, the city (college town), relationship with AAU and h.s. coaches and recruiting staff, weather, etc.

Top Bottom