Shooter: Minnesota, conceptually, has considered either renovating Williams Arena or building a new arena in the parking lots north of arena

The odds of that happening are very low. I think that's really cool in history when people design urban spaces like that but it's hard to get. NFL teams are about the only force making that kind of stuff happen. Or when a university a long time ago built a fancy campus from scratch, think church-like stone buildings.

The U is an enormous commuter school and the community seems content with that, although they have worked on more campus-area living.

I doubt anything expensive will happen. Who pays for it?
As I think about it, what this probably recommends is a rebuilt and relocated arena, like they're talking about, on the same side of the street as the football stadium. This allows for an intervening plaza/festival area over there. University Ave could be slightly modified without a wholesale relocation, not too different in scope from the street work that was done with the stadium construction. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs anyway.

As far as cost, if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound. A plaza/festival space would more than pay for itself in donations if you did good publicity and got people excited by the concept. I think alumni would be energized to see the U think big for a change. Fans like you are so used to small thinking that you reflexively react negatively to more ambitious ideas. We've only partially realized some of the space and game-day vision that was talked about when the stadium was built. It's time to complete the picture.

I'd work on this, and I'd work for free. We'd probably have to pay Dr. Tice, but I could get her involved with a phone call. Brian, you listening?

Like I said, who's going to pay for it.

Placeholders for non-existent big donors to pay for naming rights -- this is not Texas -- or deep government pockets that taxpayers will not support doesn't pay for it.

I'm all for it -- if they found a way to pay for it.

All great ideas. Show me the money.
Like I said, we need a new AD or we need to hire somebody gifted in this area. Easy to accomplish-get it to the finish line? No Doable? I think for that right person very much achievable.

So many benefits. So much of a Minnesota known need-how can I help? So many levels, so many candidates of funding with naming rights to different areas within the arena plus the naming of the arena itself, the suites sales. Grass roots...brick by brick.

With music and special event capabilities like the Moody Center you also broaden the base of potential "investors".
The money is an excuse.

I’m all for thinking big, but explain more about this festival space. People are going to be hanging out, outside on weeknights in January?
Thinking mainly about football game days...which has always been lame in comparison to other Big Ten schools. That said, such a space could be used for a lot of things in the warm weather months. This is an opportunity to think creatively.

With music and special event capabilities like the Moody Center you also broaden the base of potential "investors".
The money is an excuse.
The difference there is that Moody is Austin's main arena for all arena-type events.
The Gophers' arena would never be that with Xcel and Target Center both here.

We have Marriucci too, that in theory could bid for concerts, but as far as I know never does?

There's the Armory downtown now, has gotten very popular for mid-size. And of course First Ave.

We have Marriucci too, that in theory could bid for concerts, but as far as I know never does?

There's the Armory downtown now, has gotten very popular for mid-size. And of course First Ave.
Yeah, and 60's guy's talk about big money corporate donors and board rooms is the same misguided argument people had in the NIL discussions. This isn't the era of Harvey Mackay, or the Pillsbury's and Dayton's owning their namesake companies. Corporations now for the most part are run by professional CEO's and boards that come from all over, have little or no loyalty to the market that the company happens to be HQ'ed in and their responsibility is to shareholders - not college sports fans.

Glen Taylor went to Mankato - he gives money there. The legacy money families (Cargill/MacMillan, Pohlad, Carlson) give a lot to charity and philanthropy - not to college basketball. Dick Schulze gave a bunch of money to St. Thomas - not the U. etc.

The difference there is that Moody is Austin's main arena for all arena-type events.
The Gophers' arena would never be that with Xcel and Target Center both here.
Well, we do have 4X to the number of people in the Twin Cities. We have a somewhat captive 50,000 plus students at the U of M like they do who are going to be loyal, convenient and a pretty good start for certain niche entertainment.

The students go to the Varsity. Or they very easily and very conveniently hop on the light rail to go to either downtown for concerts/shows.

Northrup has shows. I feel like these are usually of the highfalutin arts variety? But could be wrong

There is no need to host a concert/show at Williams or Mariucci. Hence why they don't do it.

Yeah, and 60's guy's talk about big money corporate donors and board rooms is the same misguided argument people had in the NIL discussions. This isn't the era of Harvey Mackay, or the Pillsbury's and Dayton's owning their namesake companies. Corporations now for the most part are run by professional CEO's and boards that come from all over, have little or no loyalty to the market that the company happens to be HQ'ed in and their responsibility is to shareholders - not college sports fans.

Glen Taylor went to Mankato - he gives money there. The legacy money families (Cargill/MacMillan, Pohlad, Carlson) give a lot to charity and philanthropy - not to college basketball. Dick Schulze gave a bunch of money to St. Thomas - not the U. etc.
Corporations still have employees to give perks to, clients to entertain, and corporations still like to be visible in social media with photos of people having fun etc
If the facilities are nicer, if the atmosphere is more fun there will not be a shortage of buyers. Again, the right person needs to paint the vision why it will work and not ride along with those who find all the reasons it won't work.
You do need winning teams.
You do need to spend the money to attract a top coach.

That's why corporations often buy suites at the stadium. They can give the tickets to sales folks to entertain clients, give them to employee of the month, etc.

The students go to the Varsity. Or they very easily and very conveniently hop on the light rail to go to either downtown for concerts/shows.

There is no need to host a concert/show at Williams or Mariucci. Hence why they don't do it.
I'm going to guess it's because neither place is set up to transform into concert venues more than no need. A building needs to be designed to move all the stuff in and out you need to set up a stage and equipment. Floor seating ain't happening at Williams Arena.
Maurucci may or may not have a floor...some ice arenas don't have cement floors...i'm also guessing there is only a short window when they don't have ice in year around.
You gotta be in business of hosting events...those two venues are not.

Williams Arena is a dump. The only redeeming thing about it is the raised floor and that’s not a good reason to keep it. Renovating it would just be putting lipstick on a pig.

Corporations still have employees to give perks to, clients to entertain, and corporations still like to be visible in social media with photos of people having fun etc
If the facilities are nicer, if the atmosphere is more fun there will not be a shortage of buyers. Again, the right person needs to paint the vision why it will work and not ride along with those who find all the reasons it won't work.
You do need winning teams.
You do need to spend the money to attract a top coach.
And there are lots and lots of options for entertainment in this market.

Interesting that their court is 90 degrees different than the typical layout like the barn. I wonder if their court was always in that position.
The 90 degree change would create a ton of space on the two long sides of the court for better concourses. They would have to lose a lot of seating behind the baskets but in theory that change could create a usable interior.

Posted this over a year ago:

Williams Arena should not last forever. I like the full barn atmosphere a lot, but $375 million for a Texas like arena, with suites that are going to bring in a substantial amount of increased revenue is pretty appealing. It is time people!
We have Big Ten Conference/TV $. to make payments IF we needed some financing. Okay listen up...
Absolutely, more buzz to the program. 100% you still gotta win! Win minimum to be fighting for a top 6 spot in the conference every year with the new teams coming in. A Big Ten championship at least once.
$375 million- find a $100 million guy who doesn't want naming rights to the Arena but only to the Super VIP Club (Cargill, Pohlad? Taylor?Anonymous guy? Fall back plan $25 million each or 10 X 10 whatever works))) -- sell the arena naming rights for $100 million plus -- sell 25 suites to the Fortune 500 companies for $10 million each - that's $450 million... we got $ left over to sign a couple Victor Wembanyama types and we are a Top 5 basketball program over freaking night. Hottest ticket in town!
Get Humphries, McHale, Willie Burton, Jim Peterson and the gang out there rattling the board rooms. Heck we could do this!!! Seems doable and somewhat easy and long over due.
Only problem...we might need a new AD for this to happen...even better news!
It does not need to be on the same footprint. Build a parking ramp next to it on a surface lot.
BTW: PREMIUM SEATING: 44 Suites, 3 premium clubs, 1 super VIP club, 57 loge boxes ...courtesy Maxy So, we still have half or more of the premium areas to sell!! OMG!!! We are making SO much money $$$$$$$$$
Dang it! I forgot to add the concert and trade show paydays. $$

Moody Center on Texas campus
View attachment 29219View attachment 29220
Evidently got it done about $40 million under budget at $338.
Forbes Story

I went to a game at Moody last season. Absolutely fantastic venue. The amenities are amazing and the in-game arena was equally good.

Go Gophers!!

And there are lots and lots of options for entertainment in this market.
And they are all old. XCEL is talking renovations, Timberwolves want a new arena.
The U of M is geographically in the center of the Twin Cities. The U of M has 50,000 captive people to market to. We can find reasons why it won't work but there are many more why it could work done right.
Renovating Williams Arena will excite zero people and cost half or more what $338 million built as an icon to the Austin, TX market and beyond.
That's just not a lot of money in 2024 for a gigantic economic, publicity, feel good, return to a decaying void. Yes, 100% it would help recruiting and NIL as another bonus just because of the the perception surrounding the existing programs plus the bling and income of concerts.
We got local people who could be enticed to do fundraising concerts pro bono for the public good to pay for the arena.
I truly believe this would be extremely doable and so impactful in so many ways especially with social media to change the campus "feel", perception, Q factor...whatever the right word is the new Arena would elevate it to it's highest ever making it the place to be. It would create excitement far beyond Men's and Women's Basketball, Volleyball and Wrestling etc. but certainly elevate them.

Are you excited to donate money to refurbish Williams Arena? Not many people are going to get off the couch for that.
Bob Dylan Huntington Bank Stadium - Proceeds to Replace Williams Arena. ...on and on
Just need to organize this and several more - get Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to help. And on and on.
Just need to right point person to put it all together.

Last edited:

Moody is the arena for Austin. It's Austin's main arena. UT is right downtown. There is no other major arena for Austin.

I mean, you can't possibly compare that to the Twin Cities??

Target and Xcel are never going away, now. They make too money money for too many people. They draw people to the respective downtowns. I could possibly see losing an anchor tenant, like the Twolves, but they'd still keep the arena. They wouldn't demolish it. Too big a draw.

The 90 degree change would create a ton of space on the two long sides of the court for better concourses. They would have to lose a lot of seating behind the baskets but in theory that change could create a usable interior.
I went to google earth and measured Williams, Hinkle, & Welsh-Ryan for width. Williams is the widest at 244 feet. I’m no architect but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last week, so in my expert opinion, it’s doable and would make site lines better and more space available under the stands. Get it done!

We got local people who could be enticed to do fundraising concerts pro bono for the public good to pay for the arena.
No we don't.
Are you excited to donate money to refurbish Williams Arena? Not many people are going to get off the couch for that.
Bob Dylan Huntington Bank Stadium - Proceeds to Replace Williams Arena. ...on and on
Just need to organize this and several more - get Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis to help. And on and on.
Why would Bob Dylan or Jam and Lewis do that?

Has to be a renovation. The Barn is a unique college basketball venue . They can play at Target center for a season if needed.
And/or Mariucci. If we ever need to spend a season away from the Barn for renovation purposes, I'd hope for a split between Target Center and Mariucci.

And they are all old. XCEL is talking renovations, Timberwolves want a new arena.
The U of M is geographically in the center of the Twin Cities. The U of M has 50,000 captive people to market to. We can find reasons why it won't work but there are many more why it could work done right.
Renovating Williams Arena will excite zero people and cost half or more what $338 million built as an icon to the Austin, TX market and beyond.
That's just not a lot of money in 2024 for a gigantic economic, publicity, feel good, return to a decaying void. Yes, 100% it would help recruiting and NIL as another bonus just because of the the perception surrounding the existing programs plus the bling and income of concerts.
I truly believe this would be extremely doable and so impactful in so many ways especially with social media to change the campus "feel", perception, Q factor...whatever the right word is the new Arena would elevate it to it's highest ever making it the place to be. It would create excitement far beyond Men's and Women's Basketball, Volleyball and Wrestling etc. but certainly elevate them.

I bet the Moody Center would now cost $500m if you adjust for inflation and mortgage rates. The longer this drags out, the more painful it will be.

Top Bottom