Settle down

Plus, you need to beat the weak teams so a loss to a good team doesn’t derail the season as badly. We need to beat the Illinois and Indianas because beating the Wisconsins and Iowas are tough and more likely a loss based on history. If you beat the bad teams and lose to the good ones you can still have a nice season, despite losing a couple rivalry games.
True: It's an old saying: win the ones you should. Teams that are up and down, even if they knock off a highly ranked team now and then but lose to their peers, don't win division championships.

As I've said... the contract extension means Coyle is sticking with Fleck. No one cares what I think.

But the Gophs likely will never be "elite" in the eyes of people outside the program.
That’s a hot take. Good job. No one else in this board has ever thought the gophers might not be thought of as a perennial contender

The only time Morgan looked in command was the 4th quarter TD drive where we hurried a bit and didn't waste the play clock. That was also a time Illinois defense was scrambling a bit.
What I don’t understand is why PJ didn’t speed things up earlier seeing as our offense was going nowhere. I thought I heard him say he waited until there were about 9 minutes left in game before he sped things up. I believe PJ is a smart man and a good coach, but I just don’t understand why he is so stubborn and sticks with what is not working.

Last edited:

Well 3 of our top 4 are having issues staying on the field. Any team in the country save 3-4 teams would have issues playing with wideouts who are injured or backups.

also don’t think the plan was very good and the deficiency was exposed
Wrong. There are a lot more than 3-4 teams in the country who can work in backup receivers without serious drop off. Our top three have not all been out at the same time.

If what you say is true we would have cancelled rest of games after losing Mo and Potts. We are using backups and they are playing well. I am not buying that we have ten deep backup receivers with none talented enough to work in.

Wrong. There are a lot more than 3-4 teams in the country who can work in backup receivers without serious drop off. Our top three have not all been out at the same time.

If what you say is true we would have cancelled rest of games after losing Mo and Potts. We are using backups and they are playing well. I am not buying that we have ten deep backup receivers with none talented enough to work in.
You think the wideouts played well yesterday?
Are you serious?

I'd hire a OC/DC from a football power, but those guys are in high demand and most make really good $$$ without the headaches of dealing with press and fans.

And the B1G is still viewed as tOSU and everyone else.

As a program, I'd still take results like Wisconsin and Iowa. Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, top ten rankings from time to time, a trophy case with something in it, etc.
You might still get that with Fleck. He's already produced an 11 win season that ended with a top 10 ranking. Seems you don't think Fleck can get there again. A fair opinion and one that's impossible to refute since nobody can predict the future. A lot of us think Fleck can do it. Again, impossible to know.

Yesterday sucked, but it's a leap to say that because Fleck has lost a couple stinkers this year he can't be the long term answer at MN. You think Iowa and Wisconsin never get upset? Wisconsin lost to a far worse Illinois team in 2019. Iowa lost to HORRIBLE Minnesota teams coached by Horton and Kill. I'm as depressed as anyone about yesterday, but there's hope.

You might still get that with Fleck. He's already produced an 11 win season that ended with a top 10 ranking. Seems you don't think Fleck can get there again. A fair opinion and one that's impossible to refute since nobody can predict the future. A lot of us think Fleck can do it. Again, impossible to know.

Yesterday sucked, but it's a leap to say that because Fleck has lost a couple stinkers this year he can't be the long term answer at MN. You think Iowa and Wisconsin never get upset? Wisconsin lost to a far worse Illinois team in 2019. Iowa lost to HORRIBLE Minnesota teams coached by Horton and Kill. I'm as depressed as anyone about yesterday, but there's hope.
We know what it takes to get back to 11 and it's begins with firing Sanford, until then I can't see it happening again. Fleck doesn't call plays but he oversees coaching personel and needs to make a tough decision.

As many here have suggested, both Bowling Green and Illinois coaches studied Gopher film and concluded you could beat them by stopping the run, forcing them to pass, then blitzing the QB. Six sacks yesterday, so why no screens, short passes to the tight ends, reverses, misdirection, changes in personnel, sweeps, and, especially, upping tempo by not running down the play clock every time? Get some excitement and momentum going! Do what they don't expect. I once asked a Gopher asst. coach what would happen if you had a different game plan for the second half than the first. He said it would be a runaway success - the opponent would be desperate to adjust. So, do the unexpected - against Iowa and Wisconsin. Give Annexstad some reps in practice, put him in for a series or two and see if he can shake things up. Coaches shouldn't stand there and watch the team drown (second half Miami of Ohio, all game Bowling Green, Illinois).

That’s a hot take. Good job. No one else in this board has ever thought the gophers might not be thought of as a perennial contender
We don't have to agree on everything, or anything for that matter.

The B1G West has been pretty meh for quite a long time. I would venture to guess that's why Fleck saw the Gophs HC gig as desirable. No one team dominant and not having to deal with PSU/tOSU every season.

We don't have to agree on everything, or anything for that matter.

The B1G West has been pretty meh for quite a long time. I would venture to guess that's why Fleck saw the Gophs HC gig as desirable. No one team dominant and not having to deal with PSU/tOSU every season.
You just come here with the breaking news that the gophers aren’t a top 15 program in the nation and think you’re a smart guy. We all know that it isn’t a top 15’program

You just come here with the breaking news that the gophers aren’t a top 15 program in the nation and think you’re a smart guy. We all know that it isn’t a top 15’program
This place sure gets testy after a loss. Hell, most of us would settle for top 25 3 out of 5 years.

I guess our standards/expectations shouldn't be very high and then we wouldn't be disappointed.

This place sure gets testy after a loss. Hell, most of us would settle for top 25 3 out of 5 years.

I guess our standards/expectations shouldn't be very high and then we wouldn't be disappointed.
You being captain obvious and me not being impressed doesnt make me testy

I predict Minnesota will not have made the top 25 in 3 of 5 years this year too. Good job.

you remind me of the kid who doesn’t get invited to a party and spends every opportunity to tell everyone how the party isn’t a good party.

Just a lot of fans that hoped to be better than 6-3 against the schedule we had.

Just a lot of fans that hoped to be better than 6-3 against the schedule we had.
Yeah. Disappointing year. Lost two games we should’ve won due to bad game plans.

should we fire people?

Ok. We lost. Ok we are still in it. No matter, beat Iowa, Indiana, wisky. We are in. Everyone stop analyzing. We lost. Change the diaper and be happy we still have a chance.
Good point! I hope we can put this game behind us. However, it will be challenging.

At this point, with the $$$ the B1G generates, an AD just wants a clean program without any bad publicity.

Coyle has that with PJ.
Not what he said at Fleck intro presser. Championships.

He's now #17 highest paid college HC overall, and #4 in the B1G. I would expect he has the Gophs contending for the B1G title frequently. Are you saying you don't?

The offense requires functional receivers who create seperation.
We have two wideouts that can maybe play outside (Autman bell and Wright) they are both inconsistent due to injury and other factors. The rest of their wideouts are really slot type guys. Not physically gifted enough to play on the edge in two man route combos.

If this team had a wolirarsky caliber wideout who was healthy I think the offense is more dynamic right now. I just don’t think Brown Stephen’s can be a good wide guy consistently because I don’t think he has the physical tools to be much more than an inside wideout.

It doesn’t require nfl wideouts but it requires wideouts who can do what they are being asked to do. I’m not sure we have that right now and it’s on the coaches for not adjusting.
we were literally running the plays people have been asking for yesterday. We ran a lot of 2 man play action and RPO and the wideouts couldn’t get seperation.

you don’t have to be nfl caliber to get seperation. You have to be more physically gifted than brown Stephens appears to be

to me, the coaches were asking guys to do stuff they weren’t capable of doing yesterday. The common theme of the two worst losses of the season to me, was that the coaches seemed to assuming their guys would win one on one battles at the wideout position and they didn’t.
This is what I saw from section 201. I would also add that the outside routes often had guys running straight down the field without a single move. The corners were stride for stride like on the ball thrown to Crab when he was injured. No separation. Illinois’ defensive game plan was spot on. It sucks but again give them credit and hopefully the coaches can add wrinkles.

He's now #17 highest paid college HC overall, and #4 in the B1G. I would expect he has the Gophs contending for the B1G title frequently. Are you saying you don't?
The gophers control their own destiny for the second time in 3 years. The first time they did it they entered the last game with a win and in the title game situation. I mean if that isn’t contending I’m not sure what is.

they haven’t won. If you need them to win to consider them a contender you need to reassess your use of the word contend.

Yeah. Disappointing year. Lost two games we should’ve won due to bad game plans.

should we fire people?
Serious question here…are you content with the OCs game plan or do you think it’s Fleck making the calls for the offense? If it’s the OC as I believe (and I know that Fleck wants to be run heavy) when do you not consider firing him with the awful game plans. It’s the same thing as Robb Smith everyone could see it yet some people were defending him. You said they don’t have WRs creating separation, that’s true but then you have to scheme out of that. I see absolutely none of that. Look at what Burns posted about the passing game, I’m still looking forward to these last games but IMHO there are some serious issues that can’t be ignored.

Serious question here…are you content with the OCs game plan or do you think it’s Fleck making the calls for the offense? If it’s the OC as I believe (and I know that Fleck wants to be run heavy) when do you not consider firing him with the awful game plans. It’s the same thing as Robb Smith everyone could see it yet some people were defending him. You said they don’t have WRs creating separation, that’s true but then you have to scheme out of that. I see absolutely none of that. Look at what Burns posted about the passing game, I’m still looking forward to these last games but IMHO there are some serious issues that can’t be ignored.
I think over 51% of the offense is fleck

Top Bottom