Sean Stherlin Commited

Silly me. Here I thought we were going after shooters. Anyone who only makes 57% of his free throws, is not a shooter. Come on coaches earn your big dollars - find players who can shoot.

Let's judge when it's all done. An optimist can think that BJ can offer starting level players spots with capable back-ups. Land a few of those and now we're in business. There are tons of players still available - including a few of our 20-21 guys.

And i love this kids story. He will be another young person that will do all he can at his dream school and be part of building the foundation.
Sean is in the video I posted earlier playing with several MN players (Chet, Rashad, Trejuan, Dain, Tayler, etc...) He looks to hold his own...

I don't want to come off as a downer here (and realize it will come off as such) but this just doesn't move the needle for me. Have we really evolved into a program that takes New Hampshire role players and gets excited about it? His shooting numbers are horrible and we need capable shooters more than anything else besides a center right now, and it isn't even close.

Just a discussion point, but what does he bring that Gach doesn't? With the understanding that Gach is a wing who can rebound at a high level and that's about it.

**Also don't want this to come off as criticizing Ben Johnson as I'm excited for what he'll eventually do here, but this move may be a sign that A) We're going to be horrible for the next year or two and B) how bad the current state of the program is that he's taking over
Look on the bright side. If it works, they will make a movie about it someday. Miracle II: How a team of misfit transfers won the 2022 Big Ten title.

I'm with GameDay, these moves are becoming more and more meh. We are building quite a team set up to dominate the Horizon League! Like GameDay said, im not saying Johnson is a lost hope I know building isn't a few week thing, but man is depressing to know we are likely 3 years from even considering an NCAA run
At least the normally boring non-conference games will be more interesting. Maybe we can schedule William and Mary and New Hampshire.

Agreed - Ben knows that 2022 and on is his ticket to success. Why reach and commit yourself to 4-5 years at this point. I believe there is one HS kid he is targeting that has asked out of his LOI, but he appears talented enough to take. I like the idea of bringing in these seniors/grad transfers. Mature, want to be there, and hopefully start setting the tone for Gopher MBB under Ben.
I’m quoting nothing here. It’ll only let me reply to a post.
Patience is my suggestion....hard to have any idea what we got until we add the other 7 guys.
Then we kinda need to see if Ben can coach. We believe his assistants are capable. The result could be very good. Or not so much. Too early to know anything...

Look on the bright side. If it works, they will make a movie about it someday. Miracle II: How a team of misfit transfers won the 2022 Big Ten title.
Haha let's see. Not gonna get upset about a bunch of mid major transfers that weren't power 6 guys. Maybe these guys can do something that all these supposedly athletic guys that we had were supposed to do. Shoot the ball and it actually goes in the basket! That's the name of the game right?

Haha let's see. Not gonna get upset about a bunch of mid major transfers that weren't power 6 guys. Maybe these guys can do something that all these supposedly athletic guys that we had were supposed to do. Shoot the ball and it actually goes in the basket! That's the name of the game right?
No. The game is named basketball.

Ryan James of Gopher Illustrated was on KFAN Sunday morning.

According to him, the plan is to basically bring in transfers and short-timers to fill out the roster for next year. the real goal is to go after the 2022 recruiting class. Johnson has to land some of the MN kids in that group to really start building the roster.

FWIW - James also said that Gabe K. made up his mind to enter the portal before Pitino was fired. Said Gabe just wanted a fresh start for everything - school, basketball, the whole works.

You know what is kind of funny....that Eden Prairie...a team with a some mid-major and Division 2 players beat Minnehaha Academy last year. A team with the top high school player in the country this year, one of the top 5 high school players in the country last year, and several other major college division 1 players in future years. They beat them by about 10-15 points. How do you explain that....because it sure didn't seem like a fluke....

According to him, the plan is to basically bring in transfers and short-timers to fill out the roster for next year. the real goal is to go after the 2022 recruiting class. Johnson has to land some of the MN kids in that group to really start building the roster.

FWIW - James also said that Gabe K. made up his mind to enter the portal before Pitino was fired. Said Gabe just wanted a fresh start for everything - school, basketball, the whole works.

This isn't new information....Ryan James and others were saying this the day Gabe entered the portal.

I don't want to come off as a downer here (and realize it will come off as such) but this just doesn't move the needle for me. Have we really evolved into a program that takes New Hampshire role players and gets excited about it? His shooting numbers are horrible and we need capable shooters more than anything else besides a center right now, and it isn't even close.

Just a discussion point, but what does he bring that Gach doesn't? With the understanding that Gach is a wing who can rebound at a high level and that's about it.

**Also don't want this to come off as criticizing Ben Johnson as I'm excited for what he'll eventually do here, but this move may be a sign that A) We're going to be horrible for the next year or two and B) how bad the current state of the program is that he's taking over
I think he’s an upgrade over Tre. Problem is with no more Gabe, simply being an upgrade over Tre isn’t necessarily good enough.

If we still had Gabe and Liam, I’d be pretty happy about this addition as I think he’d be pretty nice for the 4th wing and the 9th guy off the bench.

But as the third wing and 6th man, he is more meh.

Makes sense and brings clarity to the guys he's bringing in. I don't think he wants to put in the effort for the top transfer recruits for this year and is putting his energy towards 2022 per James.

So he's going the year 0 route. That's fine, it's not like this program was a consistent top 25. We've been bottom dwellers with occasional lighting in a bottle year for a long time.

KInd of what he said about recruiting this spring. He said he wants to balance the incoming players this spring to have enough room for 2022. It wasn't to bring in just short-timers, but wanted to have about four spots for 2022.

KInd of what he said about recruiting this spring. He said he wants to balance the incoming players this spring to have enough room for 2022. It wasn't to bring in just short-timers, but wanted to have about four spots for 2022.
Seems like it may be more than 4 when everything shakes out. Which would be a great thing IMO.

I would MUCH rather take an experienced rental player who WANTS to be a Gopher rather than have Johnson panic and offer a four year player who has fans sighing when they hit the floor for a couple of minutes in their junior and senior years. Diedhou, Konate, Gilbert, Hurt, Greenlee, Freeman, etc.... anyone?

Fact is that Johnson doesn't have a ton of time and he is trying to fill more than double the scholarships than he'll likely have to in any given year. Turns out that depth players will be needed too. Not every single one of these guys are going to be Big Ten starting quality. But fill out the roster with guys who can play and then work on some more sought after players when it looks like you won't have to hold open tryouts a couple weeks before the season starts.

Some of you people need to take a deep breath.

Last edited:

In all honesty....the thought of watching another year with Pitino coaching the Gophers was a painful thought for me. I'm excited for next season and think we will be way better than most people on this board. When Deandre Mathieu transferred in no one expected anything from him. i would think after watching the tournament that people would begin to realize that some of these mid major teams are pretty good. Illinois, who almost everyone on this board thought was going to make the Final 4 for sure was never really that competitive with the Summit League champion.
Great points. Quick correction, Illinois lost to Loyola, a Missouri Valley school.

You know what is kind of funny....that Eden Prairie...a team with a some mid-major and Division 2 players beat Minnehaha Academy last year. A team with the top high school player in the country this year, one of the top 5 high school players in the country last year, and several other major college division 1 players in future years. They beat them by about 10-15 points. How do you explain that....because it sure didn't seem like a fluke....
EP defended their tails off. When you defend as a team at the level they did, you can win with less talent. Minnehaha also gets a little caught up in themselves and didn’t run much of a system.

Makes sense and brings clarity to the guys he's bringing in. I don't think he wants to put in the effort for the top transfer recruits for this year and is putting his energy towards 2022 per James.

So he's going the year 0 route. That's fine, it's not like this program was a consistent top 25. We've been bottom dwellers with occasional lighting in a bottle year for a long time.

Eden Prairie beat every single good team in the state and it was no fluke. They were like Baylor but if Baylor went undefeated. Minnehaha liked to get out in transition and EP defended very well. I think Lance Johnson is a bit overrated as a coach and Ep was coached better

Top Bottom