Sean Stherlin Commited

That's where I'm at. Excited for what Ben is able to do as he gets more traction but resigned to the fact that this is probably a bottom end B1G team for the next two years. Not a popular opinion to voice, but I'm just speaking honestly. I'll say that if Ben can close the borders more, we're going to be in great shape long term.
What were your honest expectations? We finished 12th last year. Most of our returnees entered the portal & honestly would have probably entered regardless of who the coach was. It is not like we got much of a foundation for any high level transfer who was trying to play in the NCAA tournament. No matter how hard Ben sells his vision. This year was going to be a dumpster fire regardless. I just hope we can recover and get a top 2022 kid. The players who have committed are 1 year rentals. That gives us a lot of flexibility for the next couple of classes.

Other than Pohto reportedly saying he may reassess his commitment, what other evidence do we have that he won't come here? I'm not sure he gets a better offer at this point.
I agree, dont see him getting many offers at p6 level school. Only takes one though

I'm with GameDay, these moves are becoming more and more meh. We are building quite a team set up to dominate the Horizon League! Like GameDay said, im not saying Johnson is a lost hope I know building isn't a few week thing, but man is depressing to know we are likely 3 years from even considering an NCAA run

Enough with the kvetching! Go back and rewatch Hoosiers and remember Gene Hackman's immortal words: "This is my team."

Two Years at the Juco
One Year at NH
Sat out last year

So, he has one more regular year and an option year is he wants it and can swing it.
Enough to get his graduate degree.

Race Thompson announces he’s staying with IU men’s basketball, withdraws from transfer portal. Izzy Myszak. Redshirt junior Thompson announced Thursday via Instagram he is returning to IU next season. By Grace Ybarra.

They're talking about Treyton Thompson - our 2021 HS commit

So Ben is pulling a poor mans Pitino.

Let's get someone who has a great relationship with the person we really want to get (Fox).

Let's hope it works out better for BJ than it did for Pitino.

Who did we beat out for this kid?

What were your honest expectations? We finished 12th last year. Most of our returnees entered the portal & honestly would have probably entered regardless of who the coach was. It is not like we got much of a foundation for any high level transfer who was trying to play in the NCAA tournament. No matter how hard Ben sells his vision. This year was going to be a dumpster fire regardless. I just hope we can recover and get a top 2022 kid. The players who have committed are 1 year rentals. That gives us a lot of flexibility for the next couple of classes.
Agreed, worse thing would be reaching for freshman to fill roster

We'll be bad next year, but excited watch ben build his team

Getting big Brent Lawson vibes with Sutherlin-Minnesota kid transferring back from a small college out east. Lawson ended up a starter on the ‘04-05 team that went to the tourney and never scored much but played solid defense and was a steady presence on the floor. Hoping we’ll see the same with Sutherlin.

They're talking about Treyton Thompson - our 2021 HS commit

Race Thompson Returning to Indiana to Play for Mike Woodson​

Another Indiana basketball player has left the NCAA transfer portal to return to the Hoosiers. This time it's junior forward Race Thompson, who announced in Instragram that he's staying.
TOM BREWUPDATED:APR 8, 2021ORIGINAL:APR 8, 2021

Race Thompson Returning to Indiana to Play for Mike Woodson​

Another Indiana basketball player has left the NCAA transfer portal to return to the Hoosiers. This time it's junior forward Race Thompson, who announced in Instragram that he's staying.
TOM BREWUPDATED:APR 8, 2021ORIGINAL:APR 8, 2021
You realize that Thompson is a rather familiar surname, don’t you?

Lawson ended up a starter on the ‘04-05 team that went to the tourney and never scored much but played solid defense and was a steady presence on the floor. Hoping we’ll see the same with Sutherlin.

I don't think this kid is gun shy. Averaged 11.6 shots per game with New Hampshire (highest on the team) and 4.4 free throw attempts per game (also highest on the team). Depends upon how much he plays I guess.

Agreed, worse thing would be reaching for freshman to fill roster

We'll be bad next year, but excited watch ben build his team
Agreed - Ben knows that 2022 and on is his ticket to success. Why reach and commit yourself to 4-5 years at this point. I believe there is one HS kid he is targeting that has asked out of his LOI, but he appears talented enough to take. I like the idea of bringing in these seniors/grad transfers. Mature, want to be there, and hopefully start setting the tone for Gopher MBB under Ben.

Give it a break. Seriously, give it a break.

Which part. Stating something that seems is the actual plan per people reporting on this. Every journalist so far mentions his relationship to Fox.

Which is the essence of what RP did with the Hurt brothers. Dont forget, BJ comes from the Pitino tree, why would it seem to be surprising?

and it was a serious question, who else was looking at this kid? Because I want players that are wanted by some of the best programs. I'm tired of the gophers sucking.

He’s a kid who wants to be here and expects nothing but a chance. Next year is gonna most likely be awful and ugly in the W-L column but all I’m looking to see is that continually improve throughout the year and show an emphasis on defense. Ben and staff are spending most of their recruiting energy on 2022 kids I’m sure and that is now the smart decision. Great talent and tons of playing time to offer

I believe Thompson will be here but Pohto wont. I got us at 7 players now, 8 if Johnson comes back. So either 5 or 6 available.

I was thinking there were only 12 and not 13 scholarships. That makes sense.

Loser: Minnesota's leading scorer looks to leave​

Minnesota dismissed Richard Pitino after eight seasons and hired Xavier assistant Ben Johnson, a former Gophers captain, as coach. Predictably, the change is causing some roster turnover. Most notably, leading scorers Marcus Carr and Liam Robbins are in the portal. Carr could end up in the NBA Draft after averaging 19.4 points this season, but the possibility of losing the star guard to another school is a painful thought. Robbins, a seven-footer who transferred in from Drake, emerged as an interior force in his lone season with the program. He averaged 11.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.7 blocks in just 24.7 minutes per game. The trajectory of his development is appealing, and losing him to another school would be a tough blow. Several other Gophers are in the portal as well, meaning Johnson will have some work to do in building his first roster.

That process has begun with the transfer commitments of Lafayette's E.J. Stephens, William & Mary's Luke Loewe and George Washington's Jamison Battle. All have been productive at the mid-major level. But depending on how this roster fills out, Johnson's first squad could face a steep learning curve in the Big Ten.

Sorry guys. I'm convinced that I thought I saw someone asking about Race Thompson. I cannot find where I thought I saw it. I clearly screwed up.
Dude, if that's the worse thing to happen to you today it's all good. Been there, done that.

Which part. Stating something that seems is the actual plan per people reporting on this. Every journalist so far mentions his relationship to Fox.

Which is the essence of what RP did with the Hurt brothers. Dont forget, BJ comes from the Pitino tree, why would it seem to be surprising?

and it was a serious question, who else was looking at this kid? Because I want players that are wanted by some of the best programs. I'm tired of the gophers sucking.

Whatever event in your life led to your much increased volume posting this past season (and since Ben's hiring), we need to find a time machine and go back and alter history. Bill and Ted, where are you?!?

Like, all of it. Finishing 13th in the conference is not going to attract players the best programs want. Pitino drove this program into the ditch and into the nearest colvert. It's basically a dumpster fire and complete rebuild.

Top Bottom