Rumor: Fleck to be considered for UCLA job.

The U wouldn’t hire birk solely because of his political views
That low IQ thinking is holding the U from their potential in academia & athletics. Ignorance hurts everyone. Stop the Hate. Matt Birk would be an asset for any college & sports program. Diversity of thought is Diversity. Education's objection must strive for many different voices or one has brainwashing not educating.

That low IQ thinking is holding the U from their potential in academia & athletics. Ignorance hurts everyone. Stop the Hate. Matt Birk would be an asset for any college & sports program. Diversity of thought is Diversity. Education's objection must strive for many different voices or one has brainwashing not educating.

Matt Birk could be an asset in a position way below HC. But he has zero coaching experience. Not a lick. And he wants to fill his staff with a bunch of guys who also have little to no experience. Furthermore.....he's just way too outspoken on his political beliefs which do not mesh with folks in this state. Unless he'd agree to completely shut up regarding his views......which he wouldn't because it's who he is.......there's no chance the admin would even consider him. But again.....it's all moot. He doesn't have a resume for the job (much like he didn't for lieutenant governor).

Just a theory but Fleck's agent likely had more to do with the reports linking him to these schools than Fleck actually showing interest in leaving Minnesota to go to one of them.
And more than these schools actually having interest in PJ as well. Rinse. Repeat.

It’s also the only place in the country saying the MN job is just as good as UCLA
The comments on McMurphy’s original post beg to differ.

I wouldn’t say MN is just as good but it isn’t far behind. UCLA has some advantages over MN but MN has some over UCLA too.

Last edited:

Seeing Matt Campbell and Fleck repeatedly named for jobs tells you what people think of their work and the situation they are in. UCLA in the Big 10 is probably better than MN and no doubt better than ISU.

That hasn't stopped Mark Coyle in the past.
That didn't stop Coyle in the past.

Lol almost identical post above mine.
Lindsay Whalen is a bit different than Matt Birk who has zero ties to the university and program, and hasn't been around the sport in 12 years. It also failed pretty badly with Whalen.

Last edited:

It wouldn't shock me if PJ took that job if offered, but apart from being located in LA, I don't think the UCLA job has all this "glitz and glamour" that everyone is talking about. They've been an up and down program for most of the 21st century. USC takes up most of the glitz and glamour in that city.
UCLA better take who they can get at this point. Not a whole lot of good things going on with UCLA football. I personally think it's a very difficult job without enough support from the Alumni.

People on the West Coast have always had a strong interest in Fleck as a head coach, so if UCLA puts up the money and commitment I could see him in LA. That's a big "IF" in my opinion

Lindsay Whalen is a bit different than Matt Birk who has zero ties to the university and program, and hasn't been around the sport in 12 years. It also failed pretty badly with Whalen.
We all know this has no chance of happening, but it did make me wonder why John Randle never got into coaching. With his personality and background, I think he'd be great at it.

Also, I'm in the boat of, if he stays, he stays.......if he leaves, he leaves.

It's not a big deal either way to me.
100% agree

He was a home run hire, at the time. The 2019 season was awesome.

Then the pandemic hit. And now college football is night and day different than when he was hired.

He had done tremendous things for this program. In seven years he has set up this place about as well as it could be for someone else to take over.

On the other hand, 2021-2023 were three years with the West just sitting there begging to be won. We didn’t get it done.

He hired a very poor OC, brought back his one proven good OC for a year, and now has a questionable one. But it’s still him, as always. Meddles with the offense too much. Way too conservative. In game recognition and decision making has always been his biggest weakness.

I feel like this:
“If he stays, I won’t be dancing in the streets, but I won’t be sad. If he leaves, I won’t be happy but I won’t be like ‘nooo we’re ruined!!’. I will be intrigued about someone else coming in and doing things a bit differently.”

100% agree

He was a home run hire, at the time. The 2019 season was awesome.

Then the pandemic hit. And now college football is night and day different than when he was hired.

He had done tremendous things for this program. In seven years he has set up this place about as well as it could be for someone else to take over.

On the other hand, 2021-2023 were three years with the West just sitting there begging to be won. We didn’t get it done.

He hired a very poor OC, brought back his one proven good OC for a year, and now has a questionable one. But it’s still him, as always. Meddles with the offense too much. Way too conservative. In game recognition and decision making has always been his biggest weakness.

I feel like this:
“If he stays, I won’t be dancing in the streets, but I won’t be sad. If he leaves, I won’t be happy but I won’t be like ‘nooo we’re ruined!!’. I will be intrigued about someone else coming in and doing things a bit differently.”
I think the timing would make it tougher. It's almost the middle of February. If he left now and took a bunch of players with him, it would be a rough season more than likely.

We all know this has no chance of happening, but it did make me wonder why John Randle never got into coaching. With his personality and background, I think he'd be great at it.
I think he enjoys retirement and golfing.

Whalen vs Johnson?
Totally forgot about Whalen, but her experience should be a warning of why coaching experience is necessary. If being a great player was all it took, you'd see a lot more ex-players coaching.

The flop season was a gift to Gophers fans. He's staying on the farm, after that. Maybe in two he's gone.

Up next: gravy train for Gophers fans. Playing interesting opponents, win some lose some, but in the mix coast to coast.

The flop season was a gift to Gophers fans. He's staying on the farm, after that. Maybe in two he's gone.

Up next: gravy train for Gophers fans. Playing interesting opponents, win some lose some, but in the mix coast to coast.
A voice of sanity

Just a theory but Fleck's agent likely had more to do with the reports linking him to these schools than Fleck actually showing interest in leaving Minnesota to go to one of them.
It's no coincidence that three of the coaches rumored to be on Alabama's shortlist received pay bumps as a result of their names being mentioned. The coach's greatest tool to get their pay increased is to get on these lists. So, maybe there is a chance PJ is gone, but even more likely is he gets more money out of this deal.

UCLA is a highly-regarded academic school with a middling football APR and Fleck's record with academics at Minnesota is probably going to be a selling point if (and it's a big if) school administrations value that.

UCLA has been a bit of a coach's graveyard ever since Terry Donahue left 30 years ago, so expectations run fairly high.

Top Bottom