Rumor: Fleck to be considered for UCLA job.

Ha Ha Ha …. Really? A talking head who once played football for the Viking?

How about Randy Moss, Chris Carter or Fran Tarkenton? I am sure they all think they would make a great coach and have some old buddies that they could hire as assistants.
It is a joke

Yeah, interesting how it hasn't really worked out for them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UCLA_Bruins_football_seasons

Over 1999-2023 (25 seasons) they'd had only four top 25 finishes and only won a PAC-12 division outright once.

If you also take into consideration that the LA market now has 2 Pro franchises and one of them just had Jim Harbaugh walk in the door, things are not looking up. If he gets the Chargers rolling (which I'm sure he will) then UCLA quickly becomes an afterthought as they will always fall behind USC. If PJ thought it was tough to compete with the Vikes for fan interest, then in LA you're going to fall behind two Pro teams, USC and the weather. Good luck with that.

If you also take into consideration that the LA market now has 2 Pro franchises and one of them just had Jim Harbaugh walk in the door, things are not looking up. If he gets the Chargers rolling (which I'm sure he will) then UCLA quickly becomes an afterthought as they will always fall behind USC. If PJ thought it was tough to compete with the Vikes for fan interest, then in LA you're going to fall behind two Pro teams, USC and the weather. Good luck with that.
Yeah agree.

If they could appeal to Orange County or even farther out, would be one thing, but they're right in core LA.

They might consider Fleck, but I doubt he is their number one choice.
Coaches since Bob Toledo:

Karl Dorrell -- before UCLA, he had only been WR and OC, mainly in the PAC, then the Broncos right before
Rick Neuheisel -- played and coached at UCLA, then CU's OC and then head coach, head coach at Washginton, then QB then OC for Baltimore Ravens
Jim Mora -- lot of NFL coaching, including head of Falcons and one year Seahawks
Chip Kelly -- head coach of 9ers, Eagles, and Oregon before, well known.

So, they seemingly have tried every which way to get things going. Nothing has stuck long term, even though each one other than Neuheisel had at least one solid year.

Nothing gets the UCLA fanbase more excited than bringing in a coach that just came off a 5-7 regular season and a Quick Lane Bowl victory over a MAC team
Another way of saying it is he's a coach who won 13 games at a MAC school with limited resources, and then had 3 9+ win seasons in a 4 year stretch at a school where that had previously only been accomplished twice in the previous 50+ years.

UCLA doesn't have a huge NIL collective. They have middle of the pack fan base like here and play in off campus stadium. There AD has more long term debt then our's. I would be willing to bet that UCLA cannot even pay coach Fleck's current salary. The best things they have over us are weather and more home grown recruiting talent base. Outside of that our facilities and stadium situation better. The Gophers are not as hopeless as we are led to believe. Got some exciting players in the pipeline. Chip Kelly bailed cause he was going to be let go after this season. Rose Bowl itself as a stadium is a total dump. If you have been you know that stadium is old dirty dump, and fans don't relish driving 25 miles in LA traffic North. They have more apathetic fan base than Gophers.

Last edited:

Fleck makes more than Kelly did, right?

Their NIL is like two years behind Minnesota’s.

Their athletic department is 37 million in the red. And football makes them no money given stadium situation, low attendance on top of that, AND have to pay a bunch of their big 10 money to Cal. UCLA is at best on par with Minnesota as a job right now. Maybe one day better, but would be an odd jump.

What a stupid thing to inject. So they'd hire someone with different political views that you agree with?!? Everyone has a right to their own views. Leave that shit out of here.
That is true but I don't think The U wants anyone of either persuasion that is vocal about their political/socioeconomic views. Just coach football, do good community relations and keep your mouth shut. They don't want or need the headache.

Who is this guy?
He's posts on 247. He has a close friend on the inside at Minnesota. But he posts and now does a show on youtube about college football all over the country. He posted about UCLA and USC coming to the Big Ten about 6 months before everyone else and had a bunch of national guys telling him he's an idiot. Well the idiot turned out to have the right info. So I pay attention when he hints at things. He also said Washington and Oregon wouldn't be far behind and that the Big Ten wants UNC and FSU. So we'll see if that comes to fruition.

He's posts on 247. He has a close friend on the inside at Minnesota. But he posts and now does a show on youtube about college football all over the country. He posted about UCLA and USC coming to the Big Ten about 6 months before everyone else and had a bunch of national guys telling him he's an idiot. Well the idiot turned out to have the right info. So I pay attention when he hints at things. He also said Washington and Oregon wouldn't be far behind and that the Big Ten wants UNC and FSU. So we'll see if that comes to fruition.

he had way more conference predictions/sources wrong than he got right but good for him as he got media coverage for the ones he did right. head on a swivel was wrong more than right.

Has anyone considered a completely different take? Like maybe Fleck’s agent is stirring the pot about UCLA’s interest. One way to get your client a raise and new contract from Minnesota after a 5-7 record.

UCLA seems to be in shambles right now. Their athletic budget is in a hole. People who live in the area say their game day atmosphere is suspect when half of the Rose Bowl is empty in September and October when it's super hot and they have always been a second banana to USC. As one friend said, they are a basketball school first, second and third while USC is a football school.

Chip Kelly rumored to be taking 3 of his top players to Ohio State. The rich get richer. Fleck might consider hanging around Columbus. OSU is going to have some quality cast offs soon.

Top Bottom