Rossi leaving for DC at Michigan St

There’s a big issue here. Way too many coaches leaving for lateral jobs.
As has been mentioned in a different thread here, West Coast coaches coming in from Washington, Oregon, USC and UCLA want to know more about the B1G offenses/defenses. Well guess what! MSU’s new coach is coming in from Oregon State. It only makes sense for him to bring a veteran B1G coordinator on board his staff to hold his hand and help show him the ropes about playing teams likeIowa, Wisky, Nebby, Minnesota, Maryland, NU, Illinois, Purdue,tOSU, Michigan, PSU, et al…

So who are we going to get to decide to rush 3, drop 8 into coverage and still get torched by mediocre QB's?

I think teams finally figured out how to beat his defenses. This was an opportunity to cash in while he still could. He was a good DC, but certainly not irreplaceable.

This past year left a LOT to be desired.

This. Somebody was spending time on Indeed.com instead of reaming out DB and LB coaches, or reading Disrupting mediocre quarterbacks for dummies.

Next.

Speaking of Claeys just saw Jay Sawvel named head coach of Wyoming. Also heard DB standout Antonio Thompson portaling to Laramie.

No doubt difficult conversations were had with Rossi due to his defense this year and he decided to go. Bye.
No doubt?

It is just as likely that Rossi listened to what Fleck has been selling - we have no chance. Seeing Fleck is focused on making excuses vs changes he's getting out.

Fleck may be a mastermind like many of the Flecktites like to believe. Or he is just over his head and can't handle it when the college football world doesn't stand up and clap for him when he enters the room.

I'll bet pay bump isn't much, but he sees the trouble the program may be in and left. While doing so, he'll get a small pay increase, likely a longer runway, and perhaps more opportunity down the road.

Mich State is a middling program?? Finished #6 or better three years in a row 2013-15.

They've been devastated by having to play in the East, against Mich, OSU, and PSU every year.

Mich State is a middling program?? Finished #6 or better three years in a row 2013-15.

They've been devastated by having to play in the East, against Mich, OSU, and PSU every year.
Nine wins total and five in conference in the past two years. Average of six wins over the past six seasons. That's middling to me.

Maybe all these coordinators see through PJ and figure they can advance themselves elsewhere - we are challenging him on a chat board for crying out loud - we see it - and we don’t think his coordinators can’t?

Yep, and throw in a couple scandals inc. current Mel Tucker fiasco...
MSU is way better opportunity vs. MN, it's not really close. Great fan/booster base, better recruiting locale, and not in Minneapolis. No brainer for Rossi

That has something to do with it, but I'd venture to guess Nassar, Tucker, etc. and a gaggle of inept leadership ignoring or covering up the abuses might also bear some weight.

Has anyone at Minnesota received 100 years in prison in the last 5 to 10 years for molesting children? Has anyone on the football team been charged for assaulting opposing players in the tunnel, using their helmets as weapons?

If the NCAA had any balls, they would have crucified that school (along with Penn State). Thank God nobody wrote any papers for athletes. THAT, apparently, is a bridge too far.

Time to scratch the 7 year itch I guess. Hopefully just time for some change and not poison ivy...

I see a lot of people saying "big deal, our defense sucked" but a large chunk of that was due to an inept offense and a lack of defensive depth due to injuries and portal losses. Losing Rossi is tough, he's good and will likely have success at MSU. I appreciate the squads he's put together over the years for our most successful teams. We'll recover, but it's not good.

Lots? Please name names……One coach as far as I recall.

As a Golden lover, I'm biased but you've got my vote for best avatar. The pup in my avatar passed in the Spring...still wake up most mornings looking for her.

Spending an hour with Bailey might remind some folks what's really important.

Anybody on here thinks it’s a money issue you’re just plain dumb. PJ has a whole pool of money he didn’t use this year because a bunch of his assistant coaches don’t qualify for more than what they are getting paid. He would’ve ponied up another couple hundred grand to keep Rossi here. What a shit show.

What, East Lansing is better than the Twin Cities?? What are you smoking?
Yep, and throw in a couple scandals inc. current Mel Tucker fiasco...
MSU is way better opportunity vs. MN, it's not really close. Great fan/booster base, better recruiting locale, and not in Minneapolis. No brainer for Rossi

Fleck just finished year seven and the program appears to trending down. Rossi probably sees more job security going to a newly hired head coach.
The OC’s Fleck has hired could be a factor too. Rossi sick of having to be complemented by those offenses. The defense may be just fine without him however. Could recruiting get better?

Gophs have had three defensive commits—2 from portal, 1 JUCO— in the past 24 hours. Those kids must be comfortable with where the defense is going. I mean, somebody recruited these kids, gave them a glimpse of the future and closed the deal. Doubt it was Rossi. Wonder who acts as DC for QuickLane.

Anybody on here thinks it’s a money issue you’re just plain dumb. PJ has a whole pool of money he didn’t use this year because a bunch of his assistant coaches don’t qualify for more than what they are getting paid. He would’ve ponied up another couple hundred grand to keep Rossi here. What a shit show.
So what is the issue smarty? You say he would’ve ponied up a couple hundred thousand (which you know is there how?), well why didn’t he?

So what is the issue smarty? You say he would’ve ponied up a couple hundred thousand (which you know is there how?), well why didn’t he?
PJ didn’t spend his whole allotment this year, and we are not the little sisters of the poor like folks say that’s just so false and lazy. We have TV money coming out of our ears out of which we to pay our assistant coaches, et al. I have no idea what the issue is, but it’s not because we are without the money to pay Rossi—if PJ chose to.

I don’t know if it is scarier if we cannot even compete with MSU for assistant coaches or if it’s a personal thing with PJ.

I’d guess the only person on the staff with the amount of experience would be the DBs coach we just hired from Syracuse.

Maybe we offer a big check to the guy that left for Rutgers (don’t want to look up the spelling).

Top Bottom