Refs

Two things can be true at the same time. We showed up poorly coached and poorly prepared, and would have gotten smoked no matter what the refs did. And, the refs were inexcusable awful.
Thats a good point. I do not like blaming officials, but there were some calls that were missed without a doubt.

Big Ten referees are famous for jobbing the lesser perceived team. I bet that PSU won't get the calls next week against Ohio State

The problem is Warren. If he would just grow a couple and demand accountability from the officials, the game would be more fun to watch. Coaches are held accountable, so should the officials. The league office, when asked, ALWAYS responds, if we demanded an explanation, “we could Never find officials”, my answer BS.

Big Ten referees are famous for jobbing the lesser perceived team. I bet that PSU won't get the calls next week against Ohio State
Correct. There is a pecking order.

Officials miss calls all the time. The int. Okay looked like PI, but #22 wasn’t getting to that ball and gives up trying to sell a penalty. Could it have been called? Yes

The PI on Us was also questionable. It happened early enough that it’s hard to say the WR wasn’t going to get to the ball. Could have been a hold. Again 50/50 judgment.

On holding, it happens all the time. Again not every call will be made. We weren’t going to score 21+ points

I wish #55 was close enough to the TE to maybe interfere with them. Focus on what can be controlled or fixed.

Under what circumstances is that not holding? Perhaps when its against the Gophers?
The QB is releasing the ball. Did it have a material impact on the play? The officials could have been at angles to miss it. Still photos often can’t confirm live game judgements. Playing Devils Advocate

Officials miss calls all the time. The int. Okay looked like PI, but #22 wasn’t getting to that ball and gives up trying to sell a penalty. Could it have been called? Yes

The PI on Us was also questionable. It happened early enough that it’s hard to say the WR wasn’t going to get to the ball. Could have been a hold. Again 50/50 judgment.

On holding, it happens all the time. Again not every call will be made. We weren’t going to score 21+ points

I wish #55 was close enough to the TE to maybe interfere with them. Focus on what can be controlled or fixed.
when the same team gets the raw end of the bone both of the massively influential interference calls AND in between they fail to flag an obvious grounding play on the same team they benefitted…well what do you expect us to think?

maybe you can name a few critical calls that went the Gophers’ way instead of just excuse terribly biased officiating.

The QB is releasing the ball. Did it have a material impact on the play? The officials could have been at angles to miss it. Still photos often can’t confirm live game judgements. Playing Devils Advocate
It was very easy to see in real time. I commented on it from my living room as the play happened. Literally hard to miss 4 feet of stretched out white jersey. Did it impact the play? Hard to know for certain but I have seen countless penalties called with no impact on the outcome of the play.

The problem is Warren. If he would just grow a couple and demand accountability from the officials, the game would be more fun to watch. Coaches are held accountable, so should the officials. The league office, when asked, ALWAYS responds, if we demanded an explanation, “we could Never find officials”, my answer BS.

Ummm....Warren became the commissioner in 2020. Are you trying to say that it was good prior to him taking over? lol.

Ummm....Warren became the commissioner in 2020. Are you trying to say that it was good prior to him taking over? lol.
Past was much better up to 2020. Down hill since. He REFUSES to speak on officials being held responsible for missed calls. Sad

Past was much better up to 2020. Down hill since. He REFUSES to speak on officials being held responsible for missed calls. Sad
it’s been that way for decades

Reffing was good in the Big Ten prior to 2020? And Warren as the commissioner is the difference? We'll just assume that you've had too much to drink today.

Does the rule defining holding also include the official making a judgment as to whether the impediment might have material impact on the play?

Apparently not because we often see a penalty called on a player on the other side of the field which in no way could materially impact the play.

Hanging on to a guy's jersey and restricting his movement is a penalty, period.

It was very easy to see in real time. I commented on it from my living room as the play happened. Literally hard to miss 4 feet of stretched out white jersey. Did it impact the play? Hard to know for certain but I have seen countless penalties called with no impact on the outcome of the play.
It was also obvious enough to see from my vantage point in NLU row 94 to the point I commented on it before Clifford had even released the ball.

Refs were not good, broadcast crew and production were horrid....
The wild thing to me on the INT was that the broadcast crew never even mentioned that MBS fell down on the play (let alone whether it was DPI or not). Instead, they just repeatedly talked about how dumb of a throw it was. Just bizarre.

It's been this way in every league for years. Has nothing to do with Warren.

How many refs are typically watching for holding?

It was a bad night (against the Gophers) for the refs but I am pretty certain we still would have lost the game even if the calls don't go against us. Just some head scratching no-calls though. I don't think it's a conspiracy. Just think refs are human and they get influenced by large, noisy crowds like that. They either consciously or subconsciously don't want to get booed so they err on the side of the home team.

The reffing on Saturday night in the Gopher hockey game was even worse. Cost the Gophers the game. Can't explain that as it was a home game. Just incompetence.

How many refs are typically watching for holding?

It was a bad night (against the Gophers) for the refs but I am pretty certain we still would have lost the game even if the calls don't go against us. Just some head scratching no-calls though. I don't think it's a conspiracy. Just think refs are human and they get influenced by large, noisy crowds like that. They either consciously or subconsciously don't want to get booed so they err on the side of the home team.

The reffing on Saturday night in the Gopher hockey game was even worse. Cost the Gophers the game. Can't explain that as it was a home game. Just incompetence.
There are 3 officials looking for holding on that play typically, but all at different players. They are also looking at whether there are double teams, defensive holding, affect on the play, etc. etc.

In all honesty, I agree that all three of these calls went against the Gophers and could have all be been called in our favor.

This one cannot be disputed. It couldn't be PI. The WR stopped, he wasn't going to the corner and had no chance to catch that ball.

It could have been argued that it could have been holding but I'm not sure it happened before the ball is thrown.

Either way PI, was a terrible call as it was not a catchable ball.

I was being sarcastic, hopefully you were in your response.
I knew you were, but also partially being honest for others in the room. Penalties aren't black and white. Lots of gray in there.

There was so much more than is even addressed in this thread. They allowed a 12th Penn State defender to run on the field, all the way across to the far side of the field, somehow realize only then there were 12 already out there, then run back to the sideline, all while the ref stood over the ball so we couldn’t snap it… on a play we didn’t even make a substitution.

The TD where their WR wasn’t covered I am 90% was snapped without their players even being set (let alone for a full second).

It was truly the most one sided officiating I have ever seen in any game… pro, college, or HS.

There was so much more than is even addressed in this thread. They allowed a 12th Penn State defender to run on the field, all the way across to the far side of the field, somehow realize only then there were 12 already out there, then run back to the sideline, all while the ref stood over the ball so we couldn’t snap it… on a play we didn’t even make a substitution.

The TD where their WR wasn’t covered I am 90% was snapped without their players even being set (let alone for a full second).

It was truly the most one sided officiating I have ever seen in any game… pro, college, or HS.
I may watch the DVR to pull some of these things, but it was not cool.

Top Bottom