POST GAME THREAD!!!!! GOPHERS BRING FLOYD HOME!!!!

Depends if you want to focus on the short term or long term. Long term, we have issues. I couldn’t be happier about the final result today, but it doesn’t mask our inherent shortcomings within our coaching staff.
After the game you focus on the preceding three and a half hours. Tomorrow we can start thinking about improving.

I hope Perich was watching. I thought of him after DeJean made it to the end zone.
Perich could do the same. Right?

After the game you focus on the preceding three and a half hours. Tomorrow we can start thinking about improving.
There are are really three things we look at when determining whether or not it was a good season -

(1) Good Big 10 record;
(2) Beat Iowa;
(3) Beat Wisconsin.

We accomplished one of them today and we should always celebrate these wins. It's college football. They matter.

Is Elijah Spencer playing? Seems as though all targets are either Crooms (lots of drops) or Jackson.

These two teams evenly matched the number of punts attempted, 9 each, and they travelled for a total of 803 yards.

We all know that iowa’s offense is ass, but have we really considered what the Golden Gopher’s defense did in the second half?

2 total yards allowed.

But the most shocking thing to me was the following:

I don’t know if a punt is considered a “play” from scrimmage.

If punt = “no play”, then it was 3.4 plays per possession in the 2nd half.

If punt = “play”, then it was 4.1 plays per possession in the 2nd half.

Total lockdown.

I am not going to say anything negative about the Gophers performance as I am relieved as two of the most embarrassing streaks in college football are over: no road wins against Iowa since 1999 and EIGHT straight losses against them. There's no way we should have lost some of those past games, and we certainly played better in a number of them, but getting the W is always better than taking the L in a rivalry game. This was a much needed win for PJ Fleck and now we'll see if it carries over through the rest of the season.

Offense: Daniel Jackson- PROFESSIONAL. Not saying he's going to be an NFL player, but the kid was crisp on all his routes and was open all day. His routes probably deserved 100 yards and a TD today.
Defense: I can't remember the last time I noticed big plays from 5 different Gopher defensive lineman. Logan-Redding, Joyner, Eastern, Smith, and Striggow all made standout plays. Usually Baugh makes a big play (and maybe I am forgetting one), but that defensive line made big plays to put Iowa in long down and distances. I thought this was the best game from the linebackers all season. Early on they sniffed out at least one screen play which has been a MAJOR issue for our LB's in recent seasons against Iowa. The tackling from this unit seemed to be the best it has been all season and I noticed Williams and especially Selig in a positive manner more than I have all season. Baranowski has kind of alternated this season between "wow" and "oh no" type plays, but there were none of the latter today. Even though they eventually scored a TD (not going to be negative as to why), I loved that the Gopher front 7 (primarily Dline) stood up Iowa multiple times at the goal line. We've not been stout in those situations against fellow B1G teams very often. Then you have Nubin who not only made the huge sack/fumble in the 3rd quarter, but was also the gunner who was getting down in front of DeJean and preventing returns for most of the day.

Outside of the game, given that the game was called by two Hawkeyes, I was impressed that the color guy was very impartial. I wish I could remember who it was (former Iowa QB Burmeister was the play by play guy) as he did a very professional job and kept things from being unlistenable. The rules official on the other hand? Did they find him at the tailgate in his Iowa overalls 8 PBR's deep? In fairness he was right that they didn't overturn that "catch" by the Iowa TE (I don't know how), and he did admit that punt return penalty was correct so you know there was exactly zero controversy there.

I was very happy. Iowa was 6-1 and had just returned from beating Wisconsin in the road. We doubled them up on yards. We held them to 11 rushing yards and won the game. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I was very happy as we were clearly the better team in the second half. It wasn’t even close. Ski-U-Mah!

Top Bottom