POST GAME THREAD!!!!! GOPHERS BRING FLOYD HOME!!!!

First win against Iowa for PJ. First road win for PJ’s Gophers against a ranked team. I’ll take it!
Enjoy the Iowa win. If you can’t enjoy a win, you are a deeply unhappy, conflicted person.

Last edited:

First win against Iowa for PJ. First road win for PJ’s Gophers against a ranked team. I’ll take it!

Badgers got beat by Illinois today, too. Enjoy the Iowa win. If you can’t enjoy a win, you are a deeply unhappy, conflicted person.

uh - ESPN has final score as Badgers 25, Illinois 21. Bucky scored 18 points in 4th qtr with game-winning TD on a pass with 0:25 left.

I believe that Fleck has won more games in Madison and Iowa City (3) than any Gopher coach since Warmath. Anyone confirm?

for the benefit of younger posters - the group Steely Dan had a song called "Deacon Blues." as I watched Iowa QB Deacon Hill play today, I kept hearing that song in my head. these are some of the actual lyrics:

They got a name for the winners in the world
(I) I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
(Deacon Blues)

We won in Iowa to beat an undefeated Hawkeye team. If you can’t enjoy today, I’d honestly look for a new hobby.
Depends if you want to focus on the short term or long term. Long term, we have issues. I couldn’t be happier about the final result today, but it doesn’t mask our inherent shortcomings within our coaching staff.

We deserved to win. I’m happy.

Little concerned that we used Sean Tyler exclusively at RB in the final drives. Is Darius Taylor hurt again? Zach Evans was in a walking boot after he left the game. Bryce W didn’t play—injured. Are down Shawn Tyler at RB??? Maybe we end up playing Frosh Marquees Williams or some walk-ons?

We'll know soon enough I guess.

We deserved to win. I’m happy.

Little concerned that we used Sean Tyler exclusively at RB in the final drives. Is Darius Taylor hurt again? Zach Evans was in a walking boot after he left the game. Bryce W didn’t play—injured. Are down Shawn Tyler at RB??? Maybe we end up playing Frosh Marquees Williams or some walk-ons?
Also possible that he went with Tyler because he's a senior and they were basically doing glorified kneel-downs at that point.

Might have been worried about fumbling, though Tyler has fumbled this year and Taylor hasn't.

Not the way I would have preferred to win but the streak is over and I'm thrilled about that. I know Iowa's offense is bad but only PSU held them to fewer points than we did. Hell of a job by the defense, especially in the second half. This was the defense we hoped we had at the beginning of the season.

Obviously our offense still has some real issues and those might be exacerbated by some possible injuries today. The fact that only Tyler ran the ball late in the 4th quarter is concerning.

Also possible that he went with Tyler because he's a senior and they were basically doing glorified kneel-downs at that point.

Might have been worried about fumbling, though Tyler has fumbled this year and Taylor hasn't.
There was a play around 5-6 minutes left Taylor grabbed his hamstring after getting a 1st. He didn’t return after that. He’s definitely hurt.

Was just responding to the Taylor injury question at first - Super happy to have the Iowa monkey off of our backs!

Nice to get a win over Iowa especially on their turf. However, the game was as ugly as Floyd's rear end. The defensive line saved our bacon.

Missed the game and was wondering if Lindenberg played at all?

for the benefit of younger posters - the group Steely Dan had a song called "Deacon Blues." as I watched Iowa QB Deacon Hill play today, I kept hearing that song in my head. these are some of the actual lyrics:

They got a name for the winners in the world
(I) I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
(Deacon Blues)
That song was playing on KQ 20ish years ago when some old bag tried to sneak across the highway in front of me. She thought she had time. She was wrong. While I was not drinking scotch whiskey all night long, I did damn near die behind the wheel.

I no longer like that song.

Our defense is back! But if only we had that Northwestern win - Illinois, Purdue, Mich St and Wisconsin look beatable - an 8-3 season, with a bowl win, 9-3. Incredible!. Instead maybe 7-5 + a bowl.

Conflicted.

Hard not to be happy with a W in Iowa City.

Hard to take pride or feel good about the way they won.

The defense played well.
A win is a win. Road win vs a big ten team. Enjoy it.

winning is more fun than losing. no matter how you get there.
This is great and we don’t apologize here since all we usually get is awful calls and bad bounces against us but this was about as bad of a win as you can have. I think PJ was actually more conservative than ever. Something has to change. He coaches these Iowa games scared to death and it doesn’t work.

Wins are Win's no matter what. Iowa sucked out on the Gophers two years in a row. They gotta find a way to get Athan and the wide outs in synch. Happy with the win and W is what counts. Go Gophers!
Maybe all WRs except Jackson could take some time practicing how to catch a football??

USAF wants something to take pride in like the 18-20 year old guys he doesn't know winning in Iowa in a more convincing fashion. You know, something for him to really have a sense of pride in.
If how it looks becomes more important than the win, some folks are living a sad existence. As far as pride goes I have never felt more than for what the Gopher defense gave us today.

This is great and we don’t apologize here since all we usually get is awful calls and bad bounces against us but this was about as bad of a win as you can have. I think PJ was actually more conservative than ever. Something has to change. He coaches these Iowa games scared to death and it doesn’t work.
It did work. And it would have worked last year had Mo not fumbled and Trickett not missed a 34 yard FG. And it would have worked in 2019 had Tyler Johnson caught that 4th down pass. He has put our guys in position to win more often than not against Iowa. Finally one broke our way.

Top Bottom