Post Game Thread: Gophers Bounce Back With Homecoming Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) You play to the strengths of your own team. I look at the Gopher offense and see the run-blocking of the offensive line and the talent of our runners as the main strengths. Our QB is talented but he seems to still be finding his way. The receivers are good, but certainly not great. It's wise to go with what you do best.

2) Whether you or I agree with him or not, Fleck believes that the best way to win any game is to take the air out of the ball, control the clock, and thereby give your defense time to rest, recuperate and make adjustments. I'd wager that Fleck believes this is especially true when playing against an opponent that is "just better" than the Gophers, like Michigan.

3) My own opinion: any attempt to play a more pass-oriented approach against the likes of Michigan would be a disaster. The Gophers played pass-first against Nebraska and were fortunate to win a game against a team that is clearly inferior to Michigan.

I haven't seen any evidence, to date, that more passing would lead to more success.

I think MN tried to run it on Nebraska but it was tough sledding. The pass game didn’t look good either. My memory could be off but that’s my recollection. Very fortunate Sims is a turnover machine. We’ll take it as a W and a learning experience.

The spread approach historically took off because it was a field leveler versus teams with better individual players. Now that most of the blue bloods have fully embraced the forward pass and “spread” principles including USC, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State that leaves Jim Harbaugh carrying the run first, run often flag and hey, it works for them.

Michigan probably could pass more if they wanted. Look at who Michigan has at QB.

Not Minnesota. Athan Kaliakmanis is a 4-star recruit who has not yet found his stride. If you believe in him then you ride it out. But right now I doubt you can open it up. I don't know. Would be nice if they could.

I’m summary you are satisfied with the offense so far. I am not. We have a lot of talent not being used well. But we beat Louisiana.
I see plenty of room for development and improvement in our offense to date but I am definitely not as down on it as some here are. I also have no problem with going run heavy when we have a decent sized lead in order to shorten the games.

We have a first year play caller and a QB who is still developing so there are going to be some bumps in the road.

As long is Fleck is here, I believe the offense will be built around the FleckBall philosophy: hold the ball, run the clock, give your defense time to rest and adjust, win the turnover battle.

Unfortunately, this philosophy is not popular with local sports media, and a sizable portion of the fan base hates it.

I haven't seen any evidence that Fleck is going to alter his way of thinking on this.

Last edited:

3) My own opinion: any attempt to play a more pass-oriented approach against the likes of Michigan would be a disaster. The Gophers played pass-first against Nebraska and were fortunate to win a game against a team that is clearly inferior to Michigan.

We played pass-first against Nebraska because that was the only offense we had in that game; 25 carries for 55 yards in the rushing game and 11 of those yards came on that final run by Tyler that gave us good field goal position.

In regard to Michigan, I don't think it matters much what we do. We'll likely pass more than usual because there is a good chance we'll be behind by two scores or more in the second half.

We played pass-first against Nebraska because that was the only offense we had in that game; 25 carries for 55 yards in the rushing game and 11 of those yards came on that final run by Tyler that gave us good field goal position.

The point is, I haven't seen anything about the Gopher passing game that makes me want to join the hordes calling for more passing. The best passing performances so far this season have come when the passing game is an efficient but understated compliment to a dominant Gopher run game.

In regard to Michigan, I don't think it matters much what we do. We'll likely pass more than usual because there is a good chance we'll be behind by two scores or more in the second half.

I may be wrong about this, but I think Fleck believes that the best way to avoid falling behind by a big score is to control the ball, and eat the clock. I also am beginning to think that P.J. wants to give Kaliakmanis a little more time to get his sea legs under him before he makes Athan the centerpiece of the Gopher offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom