Post Game Thread: Gophers Bounce Back With Homecoming Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Against terrible competition. That’s like holding Iowa to 17 points. I mean it’s not a lot of points sure but also it’s Iowa’s offense.

You play who is on your schedule. If you can average almost 39 points a game and 478 yards a game, you have a good offensive team. Louisiana's issues were more on the defensive end. That big RB who had the touchdown run was a Texas A&M transfer in his 5th year of playing. Although he wasn't their primary RB, he had amassed a pretty good yards per carry average there.

Not only that, we won when trailing at halftime!
It was a good win, people are letting their NW frustration carry over into this week’s evaluation. Time to move on.

I agree with you except on the theory that the miserable attitudes are situationally specific. Within the last couple of years I read the results of a study that examined the hypothesis of whether the internet turned people into jerks. This study concluded that it didn't and the jerks are just jerks, whether online or offline.

I wouldn’t count on getting Taylor or Crab back.

At this point, I don't have any reason to think that Taylor may not play again this season. Crab is a different matter. I almost wonder if having him come back this season was just a courtesy.

I did enjoy the formation on AK's TD.

Don't know why more teams don't run the sneak out of that formation?

I don't understand how Sean Tyler gets benched for fumbling but Fleck keeps trotting Quentin Redding out there when he has one job and can't figure out how to do it right. He's not a B1G caliber athlete. The best thing that could happen when he catches the ball is not doing something stupid and he can't manage that.

today, they took a chance late and it paid off with a TD. I just hope Fleck sees that and remembers it.
Bet our Coach made this aggressive play call because:

1) he can’t believe his B1G team was winning only by 11 to a HS team with 5 minutes left in the game

2) he has been criticized to be a “not aggressive enough” coach his entire coaching career here in MN

3) embrassing lost last week so pressures to salvage this game’s result

To look at this play call more in depth, it was a 4th and 1 play call, all we needed was 1 yard to move the chains, play another down and to continue to kill the clock. Up by 11 with 5:21 minutes left, he didn’t need to score a TD to win. Gutsy aggressive play call and it worked out for him this time.

Imagine if AK or DJ had screwed up and didn’t connect to convert for the 1st down? Imagine all of the ridicule Coach would’ve been under by all of us and by the media?

We all would’ve been like “it’s fucking 4th and 1, just run the fucking ball! Why a fucking pass?!”

Glad it worked out for him, but his attempt to make our team look better didn’t really work as the gutsy aggressive play call only to be overshadowed by the porous D that gave up a 52 yard rushing TD minutes later.

One can argue that if he would’ve just called run the ball on 4th and 1 (and converted), we would’ve killed the clock and the game still would’ve been won by a 11-point margin (28-17, instead of 35-24).

Whether we won by only 11 or by 18 (if we didn’t allow that last 52-yard TD at the end), this was just another padding W and not a quality W. To qualify to be a quality W, we should’ve won by 40+ and they shouldn’t had scored more than 14.

Again, a strong Division champ contender would win the games that you’re supposed with dominance and beat the teams that you weren’t projected to. I’m afraid our Coach and team had done neither in the last 3 weeks.

Whomever bet over in O/U, that who’s really won from this game.

I don't understand how Sean Tyler gets benched for fumbling but Fleck keeps trotting Quentin Redding out there when he has one job and can't figure out how to do it right. He's not a B1G caliber athlete. The best thing that could happen when he catches the ball is not doing something stupid and he can't manage that.

Redding had a few really good kickoff returns last season. I guess that earned him a very long leash.

You play who is on your schedule. If you can average almost 39 points a game and 478 yards a game, you have a good offensive team. Louisiana's issues were more on the defensive end. That big RB who had the touchdown run was a Texas A&M transfer in his 5th year of playing. Although he wasn't their primary RB, he had amassed a pretty good yards per carry average there.

This completely ignores the context of the opponent. Yeah you play who is on your schedule but strength of offense/defense claims after four games deserve a review of the competition.

Louisiana shouldn’t be able to do to MN what the did to UAB or Northwestern St.

This completely ignores the context of the opponent. Yeah you play who is on your schedule but strength of offense/defense claims after four games deserve a review of the competition.

And they didn’t do what they did to those teams. Not even close. We beat a decent team by a fair margin after a slow start. Move on.

Really just sat back in the still strong September sun and watched this one. We did fine in the end but nothing to suggest anything easy from here now that non-conference is over.

And of course pleased with the win but would trade a W last week for the W this week in a heartbeat.

Loozanna was as advertised. Actually a stat heard coming in was a Sun Belt team had beat a FBS team each week so far. Only one Sun-FBS game today and that was us. Glad to break that streak.

Agree with title of thread this week is actually a bounce in the right direction. Last week was a bad bounce. Uffda factor for next week is off the charts.

And they didn’t do what they did to those teams. Not even close. We beat a decent team by a fair margin after a slow start. Move on.
Yeah they didn’t. But it isn’t an accomplishment to hold a lower level team to the numbers we did because they had better numbers against even lower-level competition.

Our squad has a pall over it and we were down at halftime during homecoming to what should be an inferior opponent. That’s bad dog we needed to stomp this squad and we couldn’t.

Glad for the win but it’s not a good looking team so far.

Bad first half good second half. But for a poor fit by my boy 6 on the long TD could have been a great second half.

Fire PJ unless he fires his offensive line coach. Ridiculous that a B1G team has such poor offensive blocking. Yea, we gained yardage but doing your job one out of every 3 or 4 plays won’t beat anyone else on our schedule. Easy to see why neither offensive tackle is playing for a helmet school.

Good lord, we won....some of you need to get away from the computer and go outside. :)
Yes we won, although you had to wonder how we could after the La. opening drive when twice Nubin looked like a walkon freshman starting against Ohio State.

The concern is we will not win at Iowa running every first and second down and passing on 3rd and 8. Their defense is way too good to play simplistic predictable offense and win. The passing game has been good for two games. We need to use it.

We won. We needed that. Nothing to indicate anything different from what we've seen in the first four weeks.

Yes we won, although you had to wonder how we could after the La. opening drive when twice Nubin looked like a walkon freshman starting against Ohio State.

The concern is we will not win at Iowa running every first and second down and passing on 3rd and 8. Their defense is way too good to play simplistic predictable offense and win. The passing game has been good for two games. We need to use it.
The gameplan for this week had us up 18 late in the 4th quarter. I am sure the gameplan for Iowa will look different.

I hate all the "yeah but" comments you get after a win. Each game is its own entity. Enjoy the win and worry about future games later.

Bet our Coach made this aggressive play call because:

1) he can’t believe his B1G team was winning only by 11 to a HS team with 5 minutes left in the game

2) he has been criticized to be a “not aggressive enough” coach his entire coaching career here in MN

3) embrassing lost last week so pressures to salvage this game’s result

To look at this play call more in depth, it was a 4th and 1 play call, all we needed was 1 yard to move the chains, play another down and to continue to kill the clock. Up by 11 with 5:21 minutes left, he didn’t need to score a TD to win. Gutsy aggressive play call and it worked out for him this time.

Imagine if AK or DJ had screwed up and didn’t connect to convert for the 1st down? Imagine all of the ridicule Coach would’ve been under by all of us and by the media?

We all would’ve been like “it’s fucking 4th and 1, just run the fucking ball! Why a fucking pass?!”

Glad it worked out for him, but his attempt to make our team look better didn’t really work as the gutsy aggressive play call only to be overshadowed by the porous D that gave up a 52 yard rushing TD minutes later.

One can argue that if he would’ve just called run the ball on 4th and 1 (and converted), we would’ve killed the clock and the game still would’ve been won by a 11-point margin (28-17, instead of 35-24).

Whether we won by only 11 or by 18 (if we didn’t allow that last 52-yard TD at the end), this was just another padding W and not a quality W. To qualify to be a quality W, we should’ve won by 40+ and they shouldn’t had scored more than 14.

Again, a strong Division champ contender would win the games that you’re supposed with dominance and beat the teams that you weren’t projected to. I’m afraid our Coach and team had done neither in the last 3 weeks.

Whomever bet over in O/U, that who’s really won from this game.
No one in the west is consistently blowing out teams of ULL’s level.

Redding had a few really good kickoff returns last season. I guess that earned him a very long leash.
This. I feel for the kid. On the kickoff out of bounds. Think he was just trying too hard to make a big play. I think he will figure it out and make a few plays for us.

Evans looked solid as I figured he would. As I stated in another post before the game if DT is seriously going to move on, I play Evans more to keep him happy and keep him here.

DBs are really struggling in coverage they have to figure that out…and FAST!!!

Keep some balance on offense! I really like what Louisiana was doing on offense, creative yet solid. Would love to see that here!

This. I feel for the kid. On the kickoff out of bounds. Think he was just trying too hard to make a big play. I think he will figure it out and make a few plays for us.

Evans looked solid as I figured he would. As I stated in another post before the game if DT is seriously going to move on, I play Evans more to keep him happy and keep him here.

DBs are really struggling in coverage they have to figure that out…and FAST!!!

Keep some balance on offense! I really like what Louisiana was doing on offense, creative yet solid. Would love to see that here!
No more Redding. It’s wild that this is how so many poor returns and special teams gaffes is weighed. Had a shot and it didn’t work out, to the detriment of the team. Those opportunities need to go elsewhere.

Last edited:

The gameplan for this week had us up 18 late in the 4th quarter. I am sure the gameplan for Iowa will look different.

I hate all the "yeah but" comments you get after a win. Each game is its own entity. Enjoy the win and worry about future games later.
The goals and aspirations are for the season, not just to beat Louisiana. I didn’t say “yeah but” about anything. I said a reasonable head coach should know you can’t beat the better teams on your schedule throwing the football 14 times. That is too easy to defend.

The goals and aspirations are for the season, not just to beat Louisiana. I didn’t say “yeah but” about anything. I said a reasonable head coach should know you can’t beat the better teams on your schedule throwing the football 14 times. That is too easy to defend.
We threw 14 times today because the running game was working and we were ahead. We threw more against Nebraska and North Carolina.....the game plan changes all the time.....

The passing game has been quite a bit better the past two weeks, hopefully that continues to evolve and become a bigger weapon for us.

We threw 14 times today because the running game was working and we were ahead. We threw more against Nebraska and North Carolina.....the game plan changes all the time.....

The passing game has been quite a bit better the past two weeks, hopefully that continues to evolve and become a bigger weapon for us.
Good teams tailor the game plan to take advantage of weaknesses from one opponent to another. On balance they have an overall consistent strategy they play within all year based on their own talent. They don’t throw 51 times against one and 14 against another because “we didn’t need to throw.”

You play balanced every week so everything is clicking when you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom