Post Game Thread: Gophers Blow Horrendous Game to a HORRIBLE Northwestern Team

Very concerning that we are relying a true freshman as our only offense at this level. This is B1G, he's going to always be hurt. Where are the other running backs? Why can't the receivers get separation? And the defense did a David Copperfield..against a rebuilding team. There's has be some serious soul searching, coaching, definitely, they did a disservice to these players, they were ill-prepared. Northwestern made adjustments, we stuck with the same vanilla game plan, run Taylor to death. I'm a PJ fan, but this is year 7, things should be fine tuned and in place to compete at a B1G level.

Dude, PJ is handcuffing him. It’s not his fault.
It’s absolutely this. PJ wants this boring bland offense. He wants to be a service academy without running the option. He wants to run it 70% of the time and he wants his running back to have 35 carries. He wants to win time of possession more than the game. He’s stuck in past.

I've been thinking about how we F'ed up downing that punt on the one or two yard line. The play-by-play person sounded very puzzled, and said to the color analyst, "why did he do that?" The honest answer would be something like, "well, he probably lost track of where he was on the field, has a very low football IQ, or he doesn't know the rules. In all these cases, he is very poorly coached." I just can't believe the stupid things that our players continue to do.

No question - a very disappointing loss. up there with the worst losses in the Fleck era.

OK, that's done. the big question is what happens next?

do the Gophers come out next week with anything different? different schemes, different personnel, different approaches on offense and/or defense?

or do they come out and just keep doing the same things again?

If there are no changes, then I think Fleck's seat gets hot really for the 1st time in his tenure at MN - at least with the fans and maybe with the boosters.

But in reality, as long as Mark (Spineless) Coyle is the AD, Fleck's job is safe. Coyle does not have the balls to fire Fleck - or even put any pressure on him.
We're coming off back-to-back 9-4 seasons. This discussion is incredibly premature, even if this train-wrecks into a 4-8 season.

What part?

Shit happens...

...move forward. That’s what we all need to do, and so does this team.

Oh, I also really hate this board most of the time. Settle TF down.

That's for losing to Iowa. Not for this week.

Yeah I want to know why their receivers are open and ours are never open. If our receivers are terrible…who recruited them and developed them? If in year 7 we still can’t get anyone open that’s telling. MAC teams do a better job of that.
I watched games all day. I see receivers open in every game, but our receivers are almost never open and when they do catch a pass, they get immediately drilled because the defender is all over them. Why is this? I think it comes down to PJ’s conservative offensive philosophy. If we have 3-4 receivers in a formation, the defense knows EXACTLY, what’s gonna happen on every play. One to two of those receivers are going to run slants at various depths. BSF is simply going to run a 5 yard out. If there is a fourth receiver, he’s just gonna run about 10 yards and curl right on the sideline. That is literally all our receivers do on 90% of our pass plays. WE DON’T RUN ANY OTHER PATTERNS. When the defense knows exactly what you’re going to do, they are ultra aggressive in their coverage which is the main reason why our guys never appear to have any separation. We are so predictable that the defenders play with zero fear or worry of guessing wrong or getting beat, therefore, they can play our receivers tight with no cushion.

Northwestern’s winning TD pass in overtime wasn’t rocket science. But it was a well designed play that took advantage of the mismatch with Baranowski in coverage. When was the last time you saw BSF line up as a tight end, sneak underneath the coverage and beat a linebacker in coverage down the field. You haven’t seen it, because this offense is so bland, all they will do with him is split him out, run him on 5 yard in’s and out’s.

This is a high school offense at best with its creativity and it’s brutal to watch. The team will not progress unless a change is made there, but PJ controls that. The change will have to come with him, or thru him, but I'm not hopeful a change is coming. PJ’s done this now for 7 years and seems to be content with it.

Last edited:

Potential seems to be big deal to NFL evaluators.
But dang, he cannot catch the ball...I guess I don't know if he has dropped a perfect pass because I can't recall any but he drops a ton of catchable balls. Every time I watch his blocks-he whiffs.
Certainly has the frame to excel but golly.
If you don't throw to him, he can't catch the ball. Horrible gameplan to have an All-American TE like BSF and throw to him, what, once against a team like NW?

Terrible loss. Undisciplined mistakes. PJ looks out of gas.

To be a fly on the wall when the team reviews that fourth quarter defensive effort. It's like they hotboxed the medical tent after the third and decided to play with only ten guys. It just doesn't make any sense how they were consistently getting guys WIDE open.

We're coming off back-to-back 9-4 seasons. This discussion is incredibly premature, even if this train-wrecks into a 4-8 season.
I disagree. Regardless of circumstances, if a coach has been around 6+ years, their floor starts to rise. What is forgivable for a 1, 2 or 3 year coach is less forgivable for a 4, 5 or 6 year coach.

Fleck keeps smashing into the floor during a season and that is what has to stop. Players should feel good about themselves, but they also have to deliver on the field. The same is true for coaches.

If you talk the talk, eventually you have to show that you can walk the walk.

Regression is not acceptable.

We got beat by a team that recruits about as well as we do.

We should expect it to happen about 50% of the time.
Yes, unless we lead that team by 21 points at hold the ball at the beginning of the 4Q. Then we should be expected to throttle them, based on relative strengths. This was a coaching failure across the board.

This is the sad thing about College Football. Bad losses ruin your seasons. This is as bad as it gets.

I was absolutely stunned watching the Defense just absolutely collapse. The O didn't do anything either in the 4th Quarter BUT they did put up enough points to where all the D had to do was make a stop.

This collapse will go down in history with ALL the other collapses over the years we've witnessed with the Gophers! It's stunning really how many there are and I'm not sure where this one ranks BUT it has to be up there with how highly we like to think the Gophers have climbed under Fleck.
Felt Mason like

I disagree. Regardless of circumstances, if a coach has been around 6+ years, their floor starts to rise. What is forgivable for a 1, 2 or 3 year coach is less forgivable for a 4, 5 or 6 year coach.

Fleck keeps smashing into the floor during a season and that is what has to stop. Players should feel good about themselves, but they also have to deliver on the field. The same is true for coaches.

Even the best teams in the nation have down periods in comparison to what has become the expectation. Fact is that rosters turn over and some teams simply aren't as good. This is a worse team than the past few years. Hopefully the staff are figuring out where the deficiencies are....and whether they can bring in players for next year to reinforce the leaky dam.

Many young QBs struggle and I get trying to keep to simple for him while building his confidence. I was impressed at the time and now even more so how calmly Morgan performed out of the gate when Annexstad went down vs a blowout to Nebraska or Illinois in 2018
Also the goal tonight should have been not only to win but to develop the passing game.
Are you high?

Back to back 9-4 seasons having the easiest schedule in the Big 10.

We were spoiled by that. This year, we have games against real teams in the East.

Sean Tyler fumbles and is benched. Not sure what Evans did to get benched. The kick reurner who when he returns a kickoff he runs eight into the mass of players and goes down. Then he makes the bonehead play in the end zone. He won't get benched cuz Fleck loves him for some reason. I have no idea what the hell has happened to BSF. He looks like he's in a daze. I am just so tired of Fleck and his Fleckisms.

Northwestern has only been to the Conference Championship game two more times than us. I feel like we should be more competitive than this.

Last edited:

Even granting some of that, he just signed a contract extension and has a massive buyout. Further they are likely buying out the basketball coach come March. Unless there is a scandal, there is zero chance PJ is fired after this season. Zero.

That Northwestern fumble forward in the 3rd quarter that they recovered for a first down was one of those fluky things that make you go hmm, and at the time half-jokingly said it was a bad omen…and things went in the ditch soon after.

First of all kudos to Northwestern for playing a hell of a second half. They made some great plays, and took advantage of some weaknesses.

MN ran 71% of the time in regulation. In the fourth quarter the first two drives were run, run, pass. Then, when they did pass the two third down pass attempts the route were short of the sticks anyway, Cousins-like. In the last series instead of turning to Kesich to make a ~54 yarder, well within his range, to ice it away they decided to give it back to Northwestern with over 2 minutes to go. Compounding that error Rob Wenger’s inept unit 7 years running allowed the ball to roll into the end zone. The rest is history. AK missing a wide open BSF (and #9 at the back of the end zone) on a throw any ten year old could make 98% of the time was icing on the cake. Baranowski lost track of the NW TE, game.

PJF has earned a long leash. But, and many of us “old-timers” know this all too well, learning is a life-long process and we don’t know it all at 35, or 40, or 45. PJ is young enough and inexperienced enough he’s still learning. I have great confidence he has enough humility to recognize his anxiety around the overall game strategy is harming the team, harming recruiting. Lack of passing begets a poor passing game begets an inept offense begets losses like this where converting a simple third and short is difficult. In a year the defense is breaking in some key pieces and not getting the job done a mediocre or worse offense and a pathetically conservative approach is harmful to the mission and recruiting going forward and can’t take up the slack. Bring in some offense consultants, PJ. You seat IS getting warmer. That said, changing horses now is probably a mistake, as emotional as we are.

That Northwestern fumble forward in the 3rd quarter that they recovered for a first down was one of those fluky things that make you go hmm, and at the time half-jokingly said it was a bad omen…and things went in the ditch soon after.

First of all kudos to Northwestern for playing a hell of a second half. They made some great plays, and took advantage of some weaknesses.

MN ran 71% of the time in regulation. In the fourth quarter the first two drives were run, run, pass. Then, when they did pass the two third down pass attempts the route were short of the sticks anyway, Cousins-like. In the last series instead of turning to Kesich to make a ~54 yarder, well within his range, to ice it away they decided to give it back to Northwestern with over 2 minutes to go. Compounding that error Rob Wenger’s inept unit 7 years running allowed the ball to roll into the end zone. The rest is history. AK missing a wide open BSF (and #9 at the back of the end zone) on a throw any ten year old could make 98% of the time was icing on the cake. Baranowski lost track of the NW TE, game.

PJF has earned a long leash. But, and many of us “old-timers” know this all too well, learning is a life-long process and we don’t know it all at 35, or 40, or 45. PJ is young enough and inexperienced enough he’s still learning. I have great confidence he has enough humility to recognize his anxiety around the overall game strategy is harming the team, harming recruiting. Lack of passing begets a poor passing game begets an inept offense begets losses like this where converting a simple third and short is difficult. In a year the defense is breaking in some key pieces and not getting the job done a mediocre or worse offense and a pathetically conservative approach is harmful to the mission and recruiting going forward and can’t take up the slack. Bring in some offense consultants, PJ. You seat IS getting warmer. That said, changing horses now is probably a mistake, as emotional as we are.
This post is so true. The one change I would love Fleck to make is to get rid of Wenger. Our Special Teams play is horrible and has been during the entire Fleck era. We are going to have horrible games once in awhile but our special teams has been out-played in all but perhaps one game during Wenger's time here.

There has been at least one horrible loss every year now for 4 years. The type of loss that should happen once every 5 years at most...and in the case of Bowling Green something that many programs have never experienced in my lifetime (one of the 30 biggest point spread losses in 40 years). The inconsistent thing is Fleck beating Penn State at home (I believe 5.5 point underdogs) the consistent thing is Fleck losing as a double digit favorite.

I am not sure anyone has mentioned it, but Williams and company really screwed up on Northwestern's final drive. After Jones horrible attempt at a tackle the play before, Northwestern had a first down at like the 22 or so. The QB is is forced to check it down to a RB who is EIGHT yards away from the first down in the middle of the field. Pause your TV and you will see 3 Gophers and one Wildcat between him and the sticks. Only one Gopher (Williams) gets to him and Devon fails to make a rather routine tackle solidly enough to prevent the first down. The game might end there if anyone makes a tackle. At best, Northwestern would have had one more play in a hurry up situation.

I don't really blame Harbaugh for this game, and would point my fingers at Fleck, Rossi, Wenger, and an OLine that couldn't dominate one single short yardage situation in crunch time. Also, BSF has to catch that ball in OT.

Top Bottom