Post Game Thread: Gophers Blow Horrendous Game to a HORRIBLE Northwestern Team

Like I’ve been saying for years: Fleck has consistently had recruiting classes that are in the bottom third of the Big 10, including having the worst recruiting class of the Big 10 in 2022.

We recruit at the level of Rutgers and Northwestern — ask yourself: why do you expect we’ll be better than Rutgers or Northwestern?

We had a few years of easy schedules and a few bounces that went out way — see the Nebraska game for example. Those outliers have spoiled the fans, but the numbers don’t lie. Over time, the Law of Large Numbers says that we will lose a lot of football games just like today.

Want a better team? Demand better recruiting classes. Want more embarrassing losses like today? Keep believing that this coaching staff has some magical ability to “coach up” 2-3 star recruits into 4 or 5 star players.

Literally wth happened on that last play that it was blown so badly? Bad call on D? Blown assignment?

Brevyn Spann-Ford is not a first round caliber TE.
Potential seems to be big deal to NFL evaluators.
But dang, he cannot catch the ball...I guess I don't know if he has dropped a perfect pass because I can't recall any but he drops a ton of catchable balls. Every time I watch his blocks-he whiffs.
Certainly has the frame to excel but golly.

Obviously there’s a lot of things we did poorly in the 4th quarter and OT, but the bottom line is there’s no excuse for our defense giving up 21 points in a quarter. We should have been able to kneel 3 times and punt every offensive possession in the 4th and still win.
Our defensive scheme is horrible, but if we had an offense, NW could never had enjoyed three possessions in the 4th Q.

No excuse of our offense having a play caller with zero zero zero imagination. We will not win with him. He is worse than linevrover What a pathetic terrible loss. No. I’m not over reacting. Fricking mother frick teribble brain dead loss which should never had happened
Limey had the shifting, motion offense scheme that buried Iowa....once upon a time.

I expected a 6-6 to 7-5 season. I understand that winning in Evanston is generally tough as Northwestern doesn't give up. Every year we can expect to see Northwestern upset somebody.

But this game implosion rests solely on the Gophers poor coaching.

1 - We need points? Sorry, the OCs are going to heavily run the ball with our bell cow and in the event that we occasionally pass our QB will likely throw an uncatchable missile to anybody open.
2 - We need good special teams outside of field goals? Sorry, we're going to not return anything because we don't want to fumble. Also we might gift the opponent 20 yards with a touchback instead of pinning them.
3 - We need to stop their passing? Nah, our pass defense has reached the level of coordinator firing shambles.

A decent QB and a couple of decent receivers went 33 for 49 for 396 yards and 4 TDs. Our defense of its scheme (or both) is not very good, but our uncreative, grade-school style offense is hopeless of lending a hand once the other team sells out to stop the run. NW receivers open all night (scheme); our receivers never wide open (scheme?).

Seriously, do I really want to use my tickets in the cold to see more of this?

A new QB needing time makes sense. I understand the UNC loss and lower scoring earlier games.

The scheming and collapse have no explanation.

Like I’ve been saying for years: Fleck has consistently had recruiting classes that are in the bottom third of the Big 10, including having the worst recruiting class of the Big 10 in 2022.

We recruit at the level of Rutgers and Northwestern — ask yourself: why do you expect we’ll be better than Rutgers or Northwestern?

We had a few years of easy schedules and a few bounces that went out way — see the Nebraska game for example. Those outliers have spoiled the fans, but the numbers don’t lie. Over time, the Law of Large Numbers says that we will lose a lot of football games just like today.

Want a better team? Demand better recruiting classes. Want more embarrassing losses like today? Keep believing that this coaching staff has some magical ability to “coach up” 2-3 star recruits into 4 or 5 star players.
Totally agree. Want to be better need better players. Our lack of top end athletes on defense and skill positions is noticeable

A decent QB and a couple of decent receivers went 33 for 49 for 396 yards and 4 TDs. Our defense of its scheme (or both) is not very good, but our uncreative, grade-school style offense is hopeless of lending a hand once the other team sells out to stop the run. NW receivers open all night (scheme); our receivers never wide open (scheme?).
He’s a way better QB than ours

My Gopher Gear will now get buried in my closet for the remainder of the year, maybe the Hockey team can help me to bring it out? It got buried after their embarrassing finish to the Championship game!

WOW, so tough to be a Minnesota sports fan, especially when living in Ca.

Yeah I want to know why their receivers are open and ours are never open. If our receivers are terrible…who recruited them and developed them? If in year 7 we still can’t get anyone open that’s telling. MAC teams do a better job of that.

Will Fleck whine about how we want him fired again? Stuff him and Heather on a way ticket to East Lansing

Sad part of about being out coached is that their coach was fired right before the season started. So fleck was outcoached by an understudy.

Top Bottom