Please STOP the coach bashing. It does NOT help anyone. I'm 100% fine with your opinion. Make it once and MOVE on.

For one, I expect Gopher fans, rather than your sorry ass Tommy bullshit.
How about you start a site called the Tommy Sphincter where you can be you.
I've gone to far more gopher games in my career than tommie games, root for both teams.

The incessant complaining on Ben is damaging and self fulfilling.

1. You complain about Ben nonstop in the only place (outside of the coaching staff) that recruits and families go for discussion and inside info on Gophers basketball.
  2. Any positive thread is quickly filled with negative jokes and complaining
  3. From the outsiders perspective it appears to be all negative all the time and that nobody trusts Ben or Richard or Tubby or whoever the next guy is.
  4. This makes Ben's job of attracting and keeping quality players a little harder (and he needs all the help he can get)
  5. Then when we dont get someone / or a top recruit leaves you have more to complain about - you are justified and complain even more.

Where the hell is Jason and Nadine or whoever runs things now? Find an admin or two, lock threads when they are played out, when people are clearly just FUDing you ban them for a week. When you spot a guy clearly here to undermine the program on behalf of WI or UST you just boot them. Nobody will miss these people. As an alternative - just ban all of the positive fans to put us out of our misery.

OK -here it comes: (in my best dopey caveman voice) "If Ben was putting up wins we wouldn't be complaining" Thats BS you losers... you would still complain after every loss.
highly doubt recruits and families go on Gopherhole. Families will get the inside info from the players...much better than reading random thoughts on a fan forum...and recruits don't give a shit about fan forums. Every fan forum has this problem...find me a fan forum where they are not bitching about stuff (maybe UST since they don't have one)...even the likes of Houston and UCLA are probably bitching about coaching moves and recruits.

highly doubt recruits and families go on Gopherhole. Families will get the inside info from the players...much better than reading random thoughts on a fan forum...and recruits don't give a shit about fan forums. Every fan forum has this problem...find me a fan forum where they are not bitching about stuff (maybe UST since they don't have one)...even the likes of Houston and UCLA are probably bitching about coaching moves and recruits.
Petulance is not geographically specific.

When I was a lot younger my identification with teams that I liked was strong and a loss ruined my day and watching the game stressed my cardiovascular system.
Now as a much older person, I realize my days on earth are finite and I am not wasting one of them being miserable and angry over things that are trivial and that I have no control over.
Johnson and the team do not want to lose and Coyle does not want to see the barn half full or filled with a rival team's fans.
If nothing improves over the next two years Johnson will be gone.
In the meantime, if watching the games is painful, do the rational thing and stop watching.
WTF are you going on about?

It doesn't raise our blood pressure to rip on our current team.
We can watch a team we root for lose and still enjoy watching that sport (we're MN fans, we are used to it).

1. You complain about Ben nonstop in the only place (outside of the coaching staff) that recruits and families go for discussion and inside info on Gophers basketball.
  3. From the outsiders perspective it appears to be all negative all the time and that nobody trusts Ben or Richard or Tubby or whoever the next guy is.
  4. This makes Ben's job of attracting and keeping quality players a little harder (and he needs all the help he can get)
  5. Then when we dont get someone / or a top recruit leaves you have more to complain about - you are justified and complain even more.

Where the hell is Jason and Nadine or whoever runs things now? Find an admin or two, lock threads when they are played out, when people are clearly just FUDing you ban them for a week. When you spot a guy clearly here to undermine the program on behalf of WI or UST you just boot them. Nobody will miss these people. As an alternative - just ban all of the positive fans to put us out of our misery.

OK -here it comes: (in my best dopey caveman voice) "If Ben was putting up wins we wouldn't be complaining" Thats BS you losers... you would still complain after every loss.
The fact that some people on this board actually believe this is one of the most hilarious and pathetic I've ever seen on the internet.

I've gone to far more gopher games in my career than tommie games, root for both teams.
I don't care. I know that you are more than a wet blanket. You are a smallpox blanket of which I want no part.

Here's your mission in life. Create a Tommy's Sphincter website and post there so that all the Tommy Boys can bitch.

I think you are giving this forum way too much credit for having any real influence on things, and any recruit or family relying on a fan board as their primary source of info about a program is wasting their time.

That said, the basketball board has not been much fun to be on and I can only handle the bitching and moaning in small doses before heading back over to the much more fun football forum.

The fact that some people on this board actually believe this is one of the most hilarious and pathetic I've ever seen on the internet.
I guess I know I am over the target now. Wondering how long that would take.

As someone with 25+ years online marketing, advertising, and PR experience and yes working with and having relationships with local colleges, pro teams, flying on team planes, interacting with players, and dealing with sports related public relations disasters on the highest levels I can provide a little insight: Anyone obsessing over making a difficult decision will absorb all the info they can and try to make a informed decision. As it turns out perception is reality when it comes to these sorts of things.

How many times did you look at a product on Amazon only to read the 1st review where someone complained it was junk and that skewed your decision making process whether or not you ended up hitting the "add to cart" button

Opinions on a local fan forum will definitely have an effect however small or large (So save me the BS... Bob)

Have to admit that I get tired of reading the 150th iteration of "Ben is in over his head" and the multiple variants.......
This is what gets me. Certain posters seem to think that their played out opinion needs to be seen by everyone once they get buried in the deeper threads.

I think - or guess - that what the OP is getting at is the sheer repetition.
Monday: the Gopher suck. ben Johnson should be fired.
Tuesday: the Gophers suck. Ben Johnson should be fired.
Wednesday: the Gophers suck. Ben Johnson should be fired.

et sic ad infinitum.

Certainly, everyone has the right to present their opinions. But - from my perspective - it seems as if the board is stuck on repeat - like an old vinyl LP skipping. Everybody has their opinion staked out and they just keep repeating it, and repeating it, and repeating it........

It would be nice if we could find some way to at least come at the situation from a different perspective or different angle.

I'm a Gopher fan. I want to see the Gophers win. and I hate to see other fans attacking a Gopher coach like this. It's sad. especially when the coach is a former player.

et sic ad infinitum.

Certainly, everyone has the right to present their opinions. But - from my perspective - it seems as if the board is stuck on repeat - like an old vinyl LP skipping. Everybody has their opinion staked out and they just keep repeating it, and repeating it, and repeating it........

It would be nice if we could find some way to at least come at the situation from a different perspective or different angle.

I'm a Gopher fan. I want to see the Gophers win. and I hate to see other fans attacking a Gopher coach like this. It's sad. especially when the coach is a former player.
Well said, plus those that want Johnson fired are almost certainly going to have to wait at least one more full season so posting the same tired crap over and over and over again isn't going to accomplish anything.

I totally understand the frustration, it has been a rough first couple of seasons. But the constant complaining doesn't accomplish anything other than making the basketball forum a pretty crappy place to visit.

It is time to move on from Johnson. He is a nice person but this job is over his head and the record and home game attendance reflect that
So can we assume based on your name and fact that you just created the account that your content is going to be all about firing the coach? Goody....

et sic ad infinitum.

Vinyl sucks! Long live the 8 track!

Ben is a grown man, and 100% knows this comes with the territory. If he didn't fully agree with most of the criticism, we don't want someone that naive or with that much lack of awareness as the coach to begin with.

Ben's a big boy, he knows the deal.

Top Bottom