Phillip Nelson XFL

82211323_3375348162507598_8468341654078619648_n.jpg

East Carolina's Phillip Nelson. HE HATE ME 2

I'd still like to know the real behind-the-scenes story on why he left the Gophs. It's too bad he couldn't have been redshirted like the original plan. He got thrown to the wolves way too early. IMO

I'd still like to know the real behind-the-scenes story on why he left the Gophs. It's too bad he couldn't have been redshirted like the original plan. He got thrown to the wolves way too early. IMO

He straight up said he wanted to be on a team that passes more.

No doubt Jerry & Co. were run first ... and sometimes run at all costs ....

I took him at his word.

Has anyone else ever done the two handed backwards moonball pass completion? High level of difficulty - judges impressed.

He didn’t like the scheme. He didn’t like being behind a guy who IMO and his own opinion wasn’t as good as him

He didn’t like the scheme. He didn’t like being behind a guy who IMO and his own opinion wasn’t as good as him
Jerry's ego got the better of Jerry that day. Jerry admitted as much in a Rutgers article a few years later.

The story goes that PN9 went to JK after the Bowl game and basically said to name him the starter over ML7 right there and then or he would leave. JK showed him the door. No room for someone like that on your team.

I have heard this story from a few places and the only place I have ever heard it disputed was on this forum - by PN9’s Dad. One of my favorite GH memories of all time is when someone decoded his screen name and correctly called him out as PN9’s Dad.
Funny Stuff.

The story goes that PN9 went to JK after the Bowl game and basically said to name him the starter over ML7 right there and then or he would leave. JK showed him the door. No room for someone like that on your team.

I have heard this story from a few places and the only place I have ever heard it disputed was on this forum - by PN9’s Dad. One of my favorite GH memories of all time is when someone decoded his screen name and correctly called him out as PN9’s Dad.
Funny Stuff.

this dose not surprise me at all. ol' jer is a ball coach, it's who he is, it's in his blood. he helps boys turn into men and football is his vehicle. pn9 was not ready for this type of mentoring and kill had to choose to move forward with boys who were ready. pn9 went a different direction and the rest is history. the teacher emerges when the student is ready to learn.

Funny Stuff.

So, he set the precedent for what we are seeing in college QBs today? He's a pioneer!

He was clearly the more talented QB between he and Leidner. Whatever else took place is a clash of egos, the coaching staff certainly complicit.

Funny Stuff.
It was pretty easy to decode since it was "padre de pn9".

Strib May 24 2017. Ya lazy a22.

Here's the article below. Where's the part where he says his ego got in the way the day that he had the infamous meeting with PN9? He says he regrets platooning the quarterbacks, but says nothing about regretting how he handled the meeting with PN9. Those are 2 entirely different things.

Philip Nelson and Mitch Leidner split time as the Gophers starting quarterback, often replacing one another in the role throughout the game. At the time, platooning may have felt like the right approach, but Kill now admits it was wrong.

“I did it, and I think it hurt us,” Kill told NJ Advance Media. “I’d never done it before.

"We can't get carried away and try to do so many things. Even if we have a loss or something doesn't go your way or you get pounded, you just can't throw everything out the door. Sooner or later you have to stick with something."

Kill finds himself in a similar situation leading up to his first season as Rutgers offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Several qualified candidates are fighting for the starting quarterback job and history argues each might get a chance to prove himself during the season.

Rutgers played four quarterbacks in 2016 before Kill’s arrival and the former Gophers coach rotated Nelson and Leidner before eventually settling on Leidner as his starter late in the 2013 season.

“No, I won't do that," Kill confirmed. "That doesn't mean you won't put somebody in a Wildcat situation, but flipping a guy quarter-to-quarter ain't going to happen. I haven't seen very many teams win playing two guys."

The Gophers finished the 2013 season 8-5 and on a three-game losing streak.

Kill used two quarterbacks at Northern Illinois in 2010, with the backup taking snaps in Wildcat situations. Kill considered using Leidner in a similar way during the 2013 season, but Nelson’s hamstring injury and inability to establish himself as the starter opened the door for Leidner to share the starting role.

Kill at the time said, “We don’t have a big quarterback controversy. We’ve got a darn sophomore quarterback [Nelson] and a freshman [Leidner], and they’re both good players, and they’re both learning on the job a little bit. So that’s where we’re at with all that.”

Kill was learning on the job, too, and will make sure he does not make the same mistake at Rutgers this season.

"In camp, with me and a quarterback, it really comes down to one who understands the system, one who the team is going to follow, one who can get us in the right plays," Kill said, "a guy who is not going to turn the ball over ... and a guy who is going to move the chains.

"If we have a guy turning the ball over, we're not going to be able to play. If you look at last year here – or you look across the board in football – we can't afford to help anybody. Same thing when I went to Minnesota. The turnover thing will be huge in camp."

It was clear they shouldve simply played Nelson and took their lumps.

It was clear they shouldve simply played Nelson and took their lumps.
How clear? Mitch was an average QB, but a great leader and was pretty successful here. PN9 had more talent, but was a bad teammate and person, was all about PN9, and has since proven to be self-destructive. Seems like quite a leap to assume we would have done as well, much less better, with Philip over Mitch.

How clear? Mitch was an average QB, but a great leader and was pretty successful here. PN9 had more talent, but was a bad teammate and person, was all about PN9, and has since proven to be self-destructive. Seems like quite a leap to assume we would have done as well, much less better, with Philip over Mitch.
In hindsight we should've moved on from both but Jerry was unable to recruit a QB worthy of replacing ML7.

Funny Stuff.

I highly doubt you can prove this.

Mitch never should of been a QB in the BIG. You are an absolute fool to think otherwise

Top Bottom