Paul Chryst out at wisconsin!

$11 million to get fired. He should take the dough and never work again.

You know, $11 million is a lot of money. Most of us work our entire lives and never come close to earning that much.

But I got to tell you, a head coach for a major college football team earns his money, in my estimation. Recruiting, coaching, dealing with parents, dealing with boosters, dealing with the media, dealing with hormonal, adolescent youngsters, constant pressure to win...

That is... a lot.

Are you sure you understand what bemoaning means?

Reason I ask, you seem to have either skipped actually reading through my posts on the subject, or you simply failed to comprehend them.

Bemoaning the loss to Badger football is the exact opposite of what my posts have been about. I'm quite happy the Mad Town folks have blundered into their hubris-fueled Bo Pellini moment of comeuppance, as I clearly stated in several of my posts.

I guess you missed those. You need to brush up on your speed reading, perhaps.
Make that 491 posts.

They fired Chryst to show they are willing to take action and do something to stop they're slide. Perception is that the program was declining, Leonhard is the heir, so one of the only levers to pull was to fire Chryst. They have an out if Leonhard doesn't work out, but I suspect they stick with him for a few seasons.

You know, $11 million is a lot of money. Most of us work our entire lives and never come close to earning that much.

But I got to tell you, a head coach for a major college football team earns his money, in my estimation. Recruiting, coaching, dealing with parents, dealing with boosters, dealing with the media, dealing with hormonal, adolescent youngsters, constant pressure to win...

That is... a lot.
Which is why I think PC deep down wanted a way out.

They need to find a coach that can recruit to the type of football they play there.

Frost went to Nebraska and tried to go all out spread and speed. Stupid idea as the backyard of his prime recruiting area is made up of OL, DL, and LBs. Wisconsin is the same.

Yeah, you can get some play makers from the south and west but the top ones are headed to the SEC.

When Chryst was the Boy Wonder OC under Alvarez and Two B's he had many offers to be an HC elsewhere.
His answer was always the same and was in essence I love Madison and so does my family, I love the university, and I do not have the personality to do all the things an HC has to do.
So thanks for the offer, but no.
Alvarez kicked Chryst out of the nest to Pitt when he had to hire Anderson under duress because Two Bs left without giving notice.
As time wore on it turned out that Chryst was correct in what he said.
Leonhard had at least ten offers to be an HC or DC in the NFL that he turned down.
He is interim in name only.
He will be the next HC at WI.

You can't be serious. Chryst's record in 2015 has no bearing on what they think he will do in 2023 and beyond. Obviously if they had a crystal ball and could see how many games Chryst would win over the next 5 years compared to whoever they hire, that would make for a pretty easy decision. They are projecting the future, not the past. I didn't think that needed explaining.
I think it’s highly unlikely they are basing their decision on what they think he will do in 2023 and beyond. Nobody knows how good any team will actually be going forward.

I think it’s highly unlikely they are basing their decision on what they think he will do in 2023 and beyond. Nobody knows how good any team will actually be going forward.
I think every single coaching decision is done based on what they THINK will happen going forward. One of the best indicators of future success is their past (often with more weight on the recent past). However, every coaching hiring/firing decision is based on trying to determine where they will take the program in the future.

I think every single coaching decision is done based on what they THINK will happen going forward. One of the best indicators of future success is their past (often with more weight on the recent past). However, every coaching hiring/firing decision is based on trying to determine where they will take the program in the future.
This is basically, in more concise terms, what I have been trying to say.

Of course not a bunch of 13 win seasons, noboby out here thinks that. So what is considered being more successful to you? A better winning percentage than Chryst?
I'm not sure what the threshold for success is for the folks in charge in Madison. And there's no way of knowing what Chryst would have accomplished had he stayed on.

When Chryst was the Boy Wonder OC under Alvarez and Two B's he had many offers to be an HC elsewhere.
His answer was always the same and was in essence I love Madison and so does my family, I love the university, and I do not have the personality to do all the things an HC has to do.
So thanks for the offer, but no.
Alvarez kicked Chryst out of the nest to Pitt when he had to hire Anderson under duress because Two Bs left without giving notice.
As time wore on it turned out that Chryst was correct in what he said.
Leonhard had at least ten offers to be an HC or DC in the NFL that he turned down.
You may have said already but as a Badger fan do you like the move?

Chryst is essentially what Tracey Claeys would have been if we kept him around. Good guy, good coach but fits more of the old school coaching model and those guys are going to have a tough time in the new college football landscape with the transfer portal and NIL. At least as far as being a head coach is concerned. I don't think Ferentz has long left at Iowa either.

I get why Wisconsin made the move and agree that Leonhard is probably the guy going forward but they are taking a fairly big risk making the move in season. If the team really struggles under Leonhard it makes him a tougher sell to the fanbase as being the guy it was worth firing a really successful coach for.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I really doubt athletic directors are such big river boat gamblers or have completely unrealistic expectations.

Not based on his actual records. Anything else is a gamble.
Records from 2015 don't matter. Lance Leipold is a hot name in the coaching world as a candidate. He's 7-10 at Kansas and 44-43 as a D1 coach. Do you think an AD cares about his overall record?

Records from 2015 don't matter. Lance Leipold is a hot name in the coaching world as a candidate. He's 7-10 at Kansas and 44-43 as a D1 coach. Do you think an AD cares about his overall record?
Wisconsin should ignore Frost's record and hire him.

Why on earth would you take less than what was contractually owed you when your employer fires your ass? I’d have that $16.5M hitting my bank account before I left the facility.
Sounds like he took less because it would have been reduced if he got another HC Job. Took $11 Million, no give back per this report.

Does being a hot name guarantee he would be successful? If not then it is a gamble. I’m quite sure coaches records are at least part of the evaluation process.

Well, no. Apparently wins and losses don't matter if you're a "hot name".

The evaluation must be based on style points, I suppose.

As a Gopher fan, I hope they hire a guy who is all style, no substance. I hope they hire Leipold and he continues to 'light it up' at a .500 pace.

100%. Leonhard would be gone if he doesn't get the HC job.

I get that but I don't think Leonhard turned down other jobs to have a shot at the Badger job. He had a shot at the Badger job even if he went to the Packers or went to another school. Most of us thought he was essentially the coach in waiting. There is a drastic difference between being a coach-in-waiting and getting a "tryout" with a bad Badger team, running an offense you didn't design, during a season where the HC is fired. It's not really a great tryout.

I don't blame him WI for opening it up to other candidates. If I'm WI, Leipold would probably be my frontrunner (for the reasons you listed).

I dont disagree with any of this. I personally think this is a terrible decision all around. Unless there is some scandal I think they went way overboard on this. Not that I am mad mind you ;)

From Wisconsin, played at Wisconsin, all kinds of NFL playing experience (both to help in coaching and to sell to recruits), and quickly worked up to Wisconsin DC.

They did this so soon to lock-in Leonhard as the next HC.

They're hoping he's the next Barry Alvarez, in the sense of a long, winning career. Alvarez himself probably had a hand in this.

How crazy would it be if Nebraska hired Chryst!

But more realistically, wonder if he would go back to Pitt to be OC?

Leonhard is the odds on favorite to get the job, but this is a tryout as well. If he flops or not, Wisconsin will open it up just to see who is interested. Legally, they have to post the job of a state paid position in Wisconsin. If a good P5 coach in a conference that's being decimated by expansion wants to jump ship, they'd be dumb not to listen. But I'd say there's an 85% chance Leonhard gets the job unless he loses every game from here on out.

Most Wisconsin fans I talk to are neutral to glad Paul Chryst the coach is gone. Most are also disappointed it happened to Paul Chryst the person. He was a stand up guy, ex player, his dad was a coach there, and he had no scandals at UW, but his offense has become stale in the college football landscape of today.

Lot of people pointing out Paul's success as a whole but seem to be ignoring his recent lack of offensive output. Luckily for him, Jonathan Taylor covered up many years of mediocre offensive game plans. For a guy who was considered an offensive guru, he sure hasnt shown it lately. It seems UW AD is making the correct call on getting rid of the coordinator of the worse unit. Leonhards top ranked defenses have been what is keeping UW relevant.

I wouldn't point to Leonhard's lack of success this year as a sign of bad things to come. He replaced 9 starters on defense and his unit has still been the strong point this year, which isn't saying a ton for the UW offense. I saw UW hasnt scored in the second half of two of their three losses. Again, a sign of poor offense, which is Chryst's forte.

Except that you could say that about all the RBs they have had since Ron Dayne. It wasn't like they have had super dynamic offenses. I mean have you seen the people who have played QB there since 1993 outside one year of Russel Wilson never going to class? It isn't exactly QBU...the offense is "run the ball down their throat and pass when you have to" most years. This year the running game is just not good enough so...yeah.

If the Wisco AD is using this line of thinking then they really screwed the pooch. Again, not that I am mad about it ;)

So is your official stance on this that they should have retained Chryst? I'm not sure if you have a position or if you're just looking to argue with people.

If I was a Wisconsin fan (and thankfully I am not) I would be pretty upset he was fired now yes. He isn't Scott Frost, making a move this early in the season is ridiculous. At least wait until you are out of contention for The West. He has earned that...

Is this known to be true/public record, or something floated by his agent?

Top Bottom