Paul Chryst out at wisconsin!

Records from 2015 don't matter. Lance Leipold is a hot name in the coaching world as a candidate. He's 7-10 at Kansas and 44-43 as a D1 coach. Do you think an AD cares about his overall record?
Scott Frost was the hot name when he was hired...every year there are former hot names that get canned because they cashed in on doing well at lesser programs and could not replicate it.

Not to mention Leipold has zero pressure at Kansas to do anything of real value. If he takes the job in Madison he has all sorts of new pressure. They fired a winning coach midseason, a prodigal son. They won't hesitate to can him too if things don't turn around and fast. If he is putting up PC like numbers he won't get a second contract there. They set a standard now...and he isnt going to avoid the hot seat long if he needs to rebuild.

I think where the disconnect between those that "agree" with the move and those that think it is stupid is the timing. There was no need to make this move now. 2 games into the Big Ten season? A season where they are 1 game back of the division lead where none of the teams look unbeatable? Wait until the bye week after Purdue. Stinks of hubris and desperation. Nebraska canning Frost made sense on almost every level, this just doesn't. Even if you take the tact that "Leonhard is the HC going forward" you are putting him a tough spot this year and if the team backslides farther than it would have (a likely result just because of the chaos though their schedule is favorable) it is not exactly the impression you want. If this was the Gophers, I would be pretty ticked off.

As a Gopher fan though this is going to be hilarious to watch. I remember when this happened for the BADger hockey team. The Eaves vs. Johnson debates went on even after Eaves was gifted a Wisconsin Invitational NCAA Title. (tongue in cheek) Then they oust Eaves and bring in super BADger Tony Granato who is floundering. (yes he won coach of the year in 2021...he is 14 games under .500 there with 1 tourny appearance in 6 seasons so far) This is more likely to blow up in the BADgers face than it is to be successful and I am here for all of it :)

listening to a podcast. Supposedly, according to a Wisconsin-based reporter who covers the Badger program, the Wisconsin AD really wants Leonhard as the HC, and he was worried that - if he waited until the end of the season to make the move on Chryst - some other team looking for a coach might come along and grab Leonhard before the Badger job was "officially" open.

so they dumped Chryst now and put Leonhard in as the interim coach because they think that will make Leonhard less likely to leave for another job.

at least that's what this writer thinks.

listening to a podcast. Supposedly, according to a Wisconsin-based reporter who covers the Badger program, the Wisconsin AD really wants Leonhard as the HC, and he was worried that - if he waited until the end of the season to make the move on Chryst - some other team looking for a coach might come along and grab Leonhard before the Badger job was "officially" open.

so they dumped Chryst now and put Leonhard in as the interim coach because they think that will make Leonhard less likely to leave for another job.

That seems weird to me. Leonhard wouldn't be going anywhere until after the regular season anyways even if he were to leave. If they were going to fire Chryst after the season, they would do it quickly before Leonhard would even have a chance to interview anywhere else.

That seems weird to me. Leonhard wouldn't be going anywhere until after the regular season anyways even if he were to leave. If they were going to fire Chryst after the season, they would do it quickly before Leonhard would even have a chance to interview anywhere else.
Understand what you are saying, but the concern is likely that ADs with job openings, or maybe even soon to be job openings, are already working back channels with agents so that Leonhard could have a deal virtually in place with a new employer prior to the end of the season. Certainly we hear those types of rumors all the time, but can't know how much truth there is to them. For the wisconsin AD, he likely wouldn't want to make those same types of overtures since he's essentially talking to Leonhard's representatives about Leonhard replacing his own boss.

I really doubt athletic directors are such big river boat gamblers or have completely unrealistic expectations.
What? This is the case with every single hiring on the planet. You are trying to gauge how good the person will be in the future. It's not riverboat gambling. It's literally how hiring works.

They would also do it by having a passing of the reigns from one coach to another. Then there wouldn't be a lull in recruiting. They'd likely lose fewer players to the portal.

IMO, the cleaner handoff if they were sold on Leonhard would have been in the offseason.

What? This is the case with every single hiring on the planet. You are trying to gauge how good the person will be in the future. It's not riverboat gambling. It's literally how hiring works
What? This is the case with every single hiring on the planet. You are trying to gauge how good the person will be in the future. It's not riverboat gambling. It's literally how hiring works.
Past and present records are taken into account lowering the risk to well below riverboat gambling level. Unless you are Maturi and hire an unproven head coach with the initials TB.

Understand what you are saying, but the concern is likely that ADs with job openings, or maybe even soon to be job openings, are already working back channels with agents so that Leonhard could have a deal virtually in place with a new employer prior to the end of the season. Certainly we hear those types of rumors all the time, but can't know how much truth there is to them. For the wisconsin AD, he likely wouldn't want to make those same types of overtures since he's essentially talking to Leonhard's representatives about Leonhard replacing his own boss.
Wisconsin could have been doing that with Leonhard too though.

Yeah, weird logic IMHO...plus there was a decent chance Chryst could have salvaged the season as HC and if so, he probably wouldn't be fired, and Leonhard would have most likely continued on as DC. Trigger happy AD.

Last edited:

Yeah, weird logic IMHO...plus there was a decent chance Chryst could have salvaged the season as HC and if so, he probably wouldn't be fired, and Leonhard would have most likelycontinued on as DC. Trigger happy AD.
Could be the AD really wanted to switch to Leonhard and didn't want to risk another "ok" season by Chryst. Then it would be harder to fire him at the end of the season.

Could be the AD really wanted to switch to Leonhard and didn't want to risk another "ok" season by Chryst. Then it would be harder to fire him at the end of the season.
Yeah, ADs are their own worst enemies at times. Wonder if Leonhard will start a different QB...

I think the recruiting landscape also has something to do with it. Firing your coach earlier gives the new coach time to try to salvage a recruiting class and ample time for them to evaluate what they need for the transfer portal.

Now, if they hire Leonhard anyway, it's a little different as he's already on the coaching staff, which leads me to suspect they may be taking a look at a few other candidates, like Leipold. Imagine if Leipold pulls out a 10 win season at Kansas, I imagine some may be pulling for him over Leonhard...

Wisconsin could have been doing that with Leonhard too though.
Could have, for sure, but it's a lot dicier to be plotting with Chryst's assistant to succeed him while he's still going to work for him everyday for the next two months.

Part of the scuttle at another fansite to the East was that Coach Chryst was not really moving with the times with the Portal, multiple unis, and some of his loyalties. All this with how the loss to the Illini went down and the dam broke.

At least with the Portal and the unis, Coach Fleck has decided to embrace them. We have seen loyalty issues but even there he has eventually pulled the plug.

Not this early. Again they have a bye in a couple weeks you can make the move then.

Why are they so sure this is the guy anyways?

They would also do it by having a passing of the reigns from one coach to another. Then there wouldn't be a lull in recruiting. They'd likely lose fewer players to the portal.

IMO, the cleaner handoff if they were sold on Leonhard would have been in the offseason.

Exactly. Plus you don't look bad pushing him out let him save face and make it look mutual. I mean this is a full on slap in the face to a guy who has bled red since the day he was born.

I think the recruiting landscape also has something to do with it. Firing your coach earlier gives the new coach time to try to salvage a recruiting class and ample time for them to evaluate what they need for the transfer portal.

Now, if they hire Leonhard anyway, it's a little different as he's already on the coaching staff, which leads me to suspect they may be taking a look at a few other candidates, like Leipold. Imagine if Leipold pulls out a 10 win season at Kansas, I imagine some may be pulling for him over Leonhard...

If Leipold wins 10 at Kansas he will get better offers than Wisconsin. And before anyone says "maybe it is his dream job" remember Louisville was Brohm's dream job and he is still coaching at Purdue despite basically having the job if he wanted it last time they hired.

Could Paul Chryst be following the Frank Solich career path and become a successful G-5 coach?

If Leipold wins 10 at Kansas he will get better offers than Wisconsin. And before anyone says "maybe it is his dream job" remember Louisville was Brohm's dream job and he is still coaching at Purdue despite basically having the job if he wanted it last time they hired.
I remember a fella who parlayed some success at Kansas into the Minnesota head job!

When Chryst was the Boy Wonder OC under Alvarez and Two B's he had many offers to be an HC elsewhere.
His answer was always the same and was in essence I love Madison and so does my family, I love the university, and I do not have the personality to do all the things an HC has to do.
So thanks for the offer, but no.
Alvarez kicked Chryst out of the nest to Pitt when he had to hire Anderson under duress because Two Bs left without giving notice.
As time wore on it turned out that Chryst was correct in what he said.
Leonhard had at least ten offers to be an HC or DC in the NFL that he turned down.
He is interim in name only.
He will be the next HC at WI.
Chryst was the head coach at Pitt when Anderson quit Wisconsin

My sources (low level) tell me the same.
Unless it’s a disaster to close out the year it’s his job

Chryst was the head coach at Pitt when Anderson quit Wisconsin
Yes, that is true.
Alvarez urged Chryst to take the Pitt HC job when Alvarez hired Anderson.
When Anderson left WI, Alvarez brought Chryst back as HC.

Yes, that is true.
When Anderson left WI, Alvarez brought Chryst back as HC.
He urged Chryst to take Pitt Job when BB was head coach of Wisconsin and he didn’t know Bb was going to leave

He urged Chryst to take Pitt Job when BB was head coach of Wisconsin and he didn’t know Bb was going to leave
Yes, and then didn't feel right hiring Chryst away from Pitt after he had pushed him for that job only a year earlier.

BA urged Chryst to take the Pitt job in late 2011. Burt quit in late 2012 and then BA replaced him with Anderson.

OL going downhill is where is all starts. 2 yards rushing was the final straw. Leonhard would not be the best hire going from 1 alum to another IMO. I think they want to be in the Leipold battle and want to give Leonhard an audition as the inside guy.
I think this is correct.

"Down years":

2019 — 10-4, 7-2 L Rose Bowl

2020 — 4-3, 3-3 W Duke's Mayo Bowl

2021 — 9-4, 6-3 W Las Vegas Bowl

2022 — 2-3, 0-2

Totals in the so-called "down years": 25-14, 16-10... 2-1 in bowl games.
Chryst had a 9 win season in his most recent complete year, less than 12 months ago.

So, there's your awful "downward trajectory."

What I'm seeing is, even if we (inexplicably) throw out his earlier years, what remains is still a very sold record. Do the folks in Mad Town know what they're doing? Do they think they're in Columbus?
When’s the last time a coach at Wisconsin lost 10 of his last 25 games and lost 2 of first 4 home games of the season, both to unranked teams, and one by 24 points? Three decades ago, maybe longer? Could they have given him a little more time, sure. Would the result have been different, no.

I'd say it's very hard (for me, at least) to see what they are trying to do.

You seem sure you know what it is, but you don't seem to be able to explain it.

What is it that they're trying to do?
Again with this idea of a slide.

He won 9 games last season, and 10 the next most recent (non-COVID) season. You understand that, yes?

What slide?
Losing 10 of last 25, losing to 2 unranked opponents at home and getting shellacked by one of them. Typical Wisconsin football.

Losing 10 of last 25, losing to 2 unranked opponents at home and getting shellacked by one of them. Typical Wisconsin football.

Are the Sconnies more like Ohio State (which is how they apparently view themselves) or slightly better than Iowa, which is how I see them?

15-10 over 25 games might not be something to aspire to, but there could also be darker days than that ahead in the land of cheese and taverns.

Last edited:

Top Bottom