Paul Chryst out at wisconsin!

Are the Sconnies more like Ohio State (which is how they apparently view themselves) or slightly better than Iowa, which is how I see them?

15-10 over 25 games might not be something to aspire to, but there could also be darker days than that ahead in the land of cheese and taverns.
If you look at the last 4ish years, Iowa has overall been better than Wisconsin. Arguably one reason why Chryst was fired. Since 2018 both Iowa and Minnesota have more wins.

The only thing I will remember about him is this. I hate miami and this gave me satisfaction.

When’s the last time a coach at Wisconsin lost 10 of his last 25 games and lost 2 of first 4 home games of the season, both to unranked teams, and one by 24 points? Three decades ago, maybe longer? Could they have given him a little more time, sure. Would the result have been different, no.
Bert was 30-10 his last three years. Didn't look closely at his last 35 games but guessing it was close.

If you look at the last 4ish years, Iowa has overall been better than Wisconsin. Arguably one reason why Chryst was fired. Since 2018 both Iowa and Minnesota have more wins.

If we're using wins and losses to objectively judge coaching performance, we'll soon know if the Sconnies made a prudent choice.

The record is the record — no way to spin it.

I'd be interested to know what the expectations are in Madison, in terms of actual wins and losses. Chryst clearly wasn't meeting those expectations, so they must be pretty high. The bar has been set and the new guy will have to clear it, or else.

Given all the interest in this subject, I would highly recommend reading the very good article in this morning's The Athletic about Chryst and why he was fired.
I heartily agree with the quote from a parent of a player that Chryst should have been fired at the end of last year.
Murray has a somewhat morbid interest in this and a very superficial analysis-it was far more that the W/L record that led to Chryst being made redundant.

Given all the interest in this subject, I would highly recommend reading the very good article in this morning's The Athletic about Chryst and why he was fired.
I heartily agree with the quote from a parent of a player that Chryst should have been fired at the end of last year.
Murray has a somewhat morbid interest in this and a very superficial analysis-it was far more that the W/L record that led to Chryst being made redundant.

Oh, no... not morbid at all; in fact, it is just the opposite. Watching the Sconnies flail is giving me great joy.

As far as 'analysis' goes: the Badgers attempting to put a positive spin on this train wreck is really fascinating.

Yes, excellent reporting by Jesse Temple from The Athletic. Complete dereliction of duty on the talent acquisition front (recruiting, transfers, NIL). The story of the recruit no one talked to at a home game is a powerful symptom.

Yes, excellent reporting by Jesse Temple from The Athletic. Complete dereliction of duty on the talent acquisition front (recruiting, transfers, NIL). The story of the recruit no one talked to at a home game is a powerful symptom.
Agree that it was a really good read and well worth it if you are an Athletic subscriber.

Pretty much confirms the fact that Chryst is just not well suited to the new college football landscape. At least not at the power 5 level. Will be interesting to see if some of the more old school coaches find their way to some of the lower levels where things like the Transfer Portal and NIL are not as big of an issue.

When’s the last time a coach at Wisconsin lost 10 of his last 25 games and lost 2 of first 4 home games of the season, both to unranked teams, and one by 24 points? Three decades ago, maybe longer? Could they have given him a little more time, sure. Would the result have been different, no.
20 years ago, Barry Alvarez

1665072765058.png

How was Wisconsin able to play 13 regular season games in 2002??

EDIT - Answer my own question:

Give us the Twitter length synopsis so we can judge.

Watched a Leonhard interview - he doesn’t have that head coach gravitas of a Bielema or Alvarez and isn’t a polished speaker. Is the idea to maintain continuity in defensive philosophy?

Speaking of Alvarez, will this new coach be the first post-Barry hire? Am I correct in thinking Alvarez is no longer connected with the program, and will have no input?

Speaking of Alvarez, will this new coach be the first post-Barry hire? Am I correct in thinking Alvarez is no longer connected with the program, and will have no input?

He officially retired on June 30, 2021 after 32 years of "service".

Though have heard that since then he's been an unofficial consultant. Looking at his record over there, how could he not be?

Watched a Leonhard interview - he doesn’t have that head coach gravitas of a Bielema or Alvarez and isn’t a polished speaker. Is the idea to maintain continuity in defensive philosophy?
I do not tweet nor twitter. Subscribe if you want to read the article.

I do not tweet nor twitter. Subscribe if you want to read the article.

I gather it has to do with not hiring enough recruiting department gophers (non-MN variety).

I‘ve attached a blurb on the backstory of delegation of recruiting duties last season. How is it that nobody knew an important defensive recruit was on campus?

Saeed Khalif, Wisconsin’s director of player personnel, and Jensen Gebhardt, UW’s player personnel coordinator, took jobs at Michigan State last June.

Their departures forced Chryst to spread more work out among the assistant coaches and various support personnel.

That included putting Eric Johnson, the executive director of football administration, in charge of recruiting.

Chryst explained much of the recruiting work for the 2022 class had been done by the coaches and he didn’t want to rush to hire a new recruiting staff in June.

Another blurb. Some of the stuff out there seems like revisionist history, and internal and external politicking.

We’re just not going to do it because everyone else is doing it,” he said, “whether it is the number of analysts, recruiting (staffers) …

“What you want is every person where they have a full plate. Not too much on their plate, but a full plate. They are doing what they should be doing. They’re focusing on what they should be focusing on. Everyone’s got a full day’s work.

“When they start getting overloaded, then they need help.”

Chryst said no assistant coach approached him this season asking for help.

“That is why I appreciate the group,” he said. “Everyone is: ‘OK, let’s go.’

“I’ve always felt that if we need something, we’ll get it. My responsibility is: ‘Do we need it?'

“Then if we need it, go (ask).”

Chryst noted the new hires will have to be knowledgeable about the NCAA transfer portal and the impact of Name, Image and Likeness.

“You better have someone that is primarily devoted to … the transfer portal,” he said.

Hmmm. Supposedly an Alvarez protégé. Buckyville:

1:45 PM - 1 day ago#201
I would feel a ton better about this if I was confident in Macintosh. I worked with him the past at a different job-- he was terrible-- lazy, stupid, rude and inept. The couple of times I have interacted with him at UW have not changed those first opinions.

I think he is in over his head. He has now moved out two of the people that helped him get the job. I hope it works for UW. If it doesnt, Mac shoudl be shown the door in early 2023.

Dirte, bouncepasstd, Eric the Red like this post

I am going to guess before looking at your link or Google.

Hawaii?
No, a bit more complicated and weird than that. Great guess though.

So the years 2002 and 2003 were "trial runs" for moving from 11 games to 12 games allowed in the regular season. But at that time they also allowed teams to play an extra "kickoff game" in what we now call Week 0 (weekend before Labor). So teams were technically allowed to play 13 regular season games.

Why those two years? Because they happened to be years where Labor day fell on a Sept 1 or 2, which means Aug 30 or 31 is like an "extra" weekend to the regular season, in a sense.

Assuming they looked at how many players got injured per game, didn't see a drastic increase in rate going from 11 to 12, and called it a day. We've had 12 per year since, regardless if we have that "extra" weekend or not.

I don't know when playing a Kickoff game was no longer exempt, but pretty sure it no longer is. You can still do them of course, but you will "lose" a home game to do that. (was probably what they were trying to avoid, back then)

Week 0 scheduling is allowed now for any team that plays Hawaii at some point in the season (and possibly some other exemptions), and of course any team they schedule during that week.

No, a bit more complicated and weird than that. Great guess though.

So the years 2002 and 2003 were "trial runs" for moving from 11 games to 12 games allowed in the regular season. But at that time they also allowed teams to play an extra "kickoff game" in what we now call Week 0 (weekend before Labor). So teams were technically allowed to play 13 regular season games.

Why those two years? Because they happened to be years where Labor day fell on a Sept 1 or 2, which means Aug 30 or 31 is like an "extra" weekend to the regular season, in a sense.

Assuming they looked at how many players got injured per game, didn't see a drastic increase in rate going from 11 to 12, and called it a day. We've had 12 per year since, regardless if we have that "extra" weekend or not.

I don't know when playing a Kickoff game was no longer exempt, but pretty sure it no longer is. You can still do them of course, but you will "lose" a home game to do that. (was probably what they were trying to avoid, back then)

Week 0 scheduling is allowed now for any team that plays Hawaii at some point in the season (and possibly some other exemptions), and of course any team they schedule during that week.
I forgot about "Kickoff games". I remember there being one for a while at the NJ Meadowlands and another at the Big A in Anaheim, essentially like a pre-season Bowl.

There's talk they may be in vogue again, depending on what happens with the BCS Playoffs and the fallout for all the remaining Bowls.

Thank you MaxyJr. Looks like that was 2 years before he retired. I was off by a decade.
Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that other programs have bad stretches as well. It surprised me.

He is Wisconsin’s own.

“One of us, one of us”

They don’t want to lose him and they knew Chryst was going to be gone at some point anyways.
Give him a tryout.

That’s gotta be the thinking

He is Wisconsin’s own.

“One of us, one of us”

They don’t want to lose him and they knew Chryst was going to be gone at some point anyways.
Give him a tryout.

That’s gotta be the thinking
That’s my take for sure. And he is really young also, feel bad for pc but I think jimmy will be a good coach.

That’s my take for sure. And he is really young also, feel bad for pc but I think jimmy will be a good coach.
No idea how it’ll work out but there is no question it is a pretty logical move if you feel Paul Chryst was a matter of when to fire rather than if and you also feel JL is the next hire you want to make

Top Bottom