P.J. Fleck names Cole Kramer as Gophers starting quarterback for Quick Lane Bowl

Because I don't think he planned to go to the game? Looks like he had moved on, and has a lot going on beyond playing in that bowl game.
i mean certainly when he was under the impression he wouldn't play or take 1-2 snaps. I guess he could have been a guy who tells PJ to eff off as he didn't want to play him before, but as a guy who chose to stick it out for the home school and be with his friends/program, can't seen any way this was a remotely tough sell.

I mean what did people want him to say? “I am playing Kramer in the bowl game because he is the only QB left on the roster that is not a walk on freshman. I have no confidence in him and we are going to run the ball 50 times”? Most, if not all, college coaches would give a similar line to PJ’s. Probably a lot of NFL coaches too if they had to start a back up. They are going to want to show outward confidence in their player and show them support. If you want brutal honesty from a coach you should start a fund for the gophers to hire Mike Zimmer.
It's like people have never heard coaches talk before.

“If he ends up being the guy, then every guy on our roster has confidence in Jaren.”

Pretty sure he had decided before there was a need for him to play. He's barely seen game action in the whole time he has been on the team, has his degree, and is planning his life after football. If he was an NFL draft prospect, and decided to move on given the same situation (5-7 team going to lowest rated bowl game), would you feel the same?
I'm not saying Kramer has no right to skip the game, I'm just saying I don't think he's owed anything (financially or otherwise) in exchange for fulfilling his responsibilities to the team. If he can find a way to get paid for it, great, more power to him, but I'd hope either way he wants to finish the season.

Yep, good for Cole, but P.J. might want to tone the schtick down just a tad.

"If we get to that position, we have plenty of options," Fleck said.

Seriously, PJ?
Maybe that was his advice to Cole on his honeymoon….

I am toasting to Cole's "good health" in life but also for the entire 60 minutes of playing time during the QLB. Problem?
It's associated with another football team that plays in the area and I got confused! The name of this team escapes me right now 🤔

I'm not saying Kramer has no right to skip the game, I'm just saying I don't think he's owed anything (financially or otherwise) in exchange for fulfilling his responsibilities to the team. If he can find a way to get paid for it, great, more power to him, but I'd hope either way he wants to finish the season.
Wut the wut wut?

Did PJ really say he has 100% confidence in Kramer? Really? Yeah, he showed that throughout the year for sure 🙄

I would be all for a John McKay type answer but I'm pretty sure those wouldn't be so well received.

"Our two best quarterbacks left. When I say best, I mean they weren't good, but they were on the roster under QB. We have two more listed. Harbough flipped a coin on whether or not to start mr wedding over the guy who spends most of his time playing Pokemon GO."

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure our offense will look the best it has been all season. (Not sarcasm)
I will really laugh (in a good way) if Kramer puts up some insanely good numbers and the offense hums the way we hoped it would all season. Bowling Green has no film on him, so I wouldn't be surprised if all kinds of Mattel Talking Football stuff is being worked up.

Did PJ really say he has 100% confidence in Kramer? Really? Yeah, he showed that throughout the year for sure 🙄
Such typical GH responses to everyone who responded to this post or took offense to anyone pointing out the stupidity of the “lots of options” line. The lines are funny, obvious BS. Of course they are “coach speak” and he isn’t going to trash the players (PJ only does that in a passive aggressive style in pressers). But seriously, it is OK for PJ to use obvious BS coach speak, but not for others to call it out as obvious BS coach speak? Motherhood and apple pie. Grow up.

Seriously wonder if they found some NIL money for Kramer to do this. Maybe he does want to do it just to end his career with the chance to be a starter in a bowl game. But to delay moving to Arizona and wedding planning to play in a Detroit bowl which, even if they win the Gophers will still have a losing record? For a coach that wouldn’t put you in even in blowout garbage time?

If Kramer had said no, they would have been up a S creek with no paddle.

I'm really glad for him that he will get to do this.

Seriously wonder if they found some NIL money for Kramer to do this. Maybe he does want to do it just to end his career with the chance to be a starter in a bowl game. But to delay moving to Arizona and wedding planning to play in a Detroit bowl which, even if they win the Gophers will still have a losing record? For a coach that wouldn’t put you in even in blowout garbage time?
Probably paid for his wedding or even upgraded it.

Dumb. He was not a D1 QB ever he got five years of school paid for and he’s been in gopher gear since he was in diapers.

Such typical GH responses to everyone who responded to this post or took offense to anyone pointing out the stupidity of the “lots of options” line. The lines are funny, obvious BS. Of course they are “coach speak” and he isn’t going to trash the players (PJ only does that in a passive aggressive style in pressers). But seriously, it is OK for PJ to use obvious BS coach speak, but not for others to call it out as obvious BS coach speak? Motherhood and apple pie. Grow up.
Ironically, this is easily the whiniest response to your original post. I would recommend some introspection in regards to your last statement.

There is zero chance of this. Geez.

All he has to do is make a commercial for Continental Diamond.
Is that the one where the monotone voice says “We deal directly with Bannnngkok.” ?

Or is that the one where it starts off “DIIIIIA-MONDS!” ?

Maybe neither

Of course it's okay. You okay?

I would hope they gave him something. I think it would have been a harder sell if more key players had left, but one last ride with the boys probably sounded pretty good to a career backup.
Kramer needs no financial incentive to play the bowl game. His family has maroon and gold blood.

I'm willing to bet the team comes in loose and we play one hell of a game
One of my favorite things about bowl season is that it seems almost every team installs a couple gimmick plays during the pause and pulls them out.

That would have made a world of difference had he said that. It's these little things that PJ is overlooking that are holding us back from greatness.
You know what they say, take care of the little things and...

Top Bottom