P.J. Fleck names Cole Kramer as Gophers starting quarterback for Quick Lane Bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

Cole Kramer has been with the Gophers football program since 2019, patiently waiting for his chance. He's been the backup quarterback for most of that time and spent parts of two seasons as the QB in the wildcat package. He's played in 21 games, running the ball 44 times and throwing 14 passes.

On Dec. 26, in his fifth season with the program, Kramer finally will get to start a game when the Gophers face Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl at Detroit's Ford Field.

To do so, though, Kramer had to take a break from preparing for his upcoming wedding.

"He's supposed to be living in Arizona as we speak with his fiancee and getting a wedding planned," Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said. "We had to put that on pause for a little while, which I'm sure she's very excited about."

Kramer, an Eden Prairie native, will have the chance to start because Athan Kaliakmanis, who started all 12 regular-season games, entered his name into the transfer portal after Fleck and his staff decided there would be an open competition for the starting job next season.

"Cole Kramer, we have 100% belief in," Fleck said during a video news conference previewing the bowl game. "He's been waiting for this opportunity for a long time, and I'm really excited about his leadership and what he's been able to do since he's been here."

Go Gophers!!

Lot of respect for Cole Kramer staying on to play because the team needs him. Team ahead of self, not super common. Agree with an earlier poster who said coach needs to turn it down a notch, 100% behind him and his leadership and all, why didnt he get a shot during the season?
Its the BS stuff like that goes against my own personal whatever, wish the team nothing but the best, just don’t know who buys the over the top stuff anymore.

segundo-sol-novela.gif

Did PJ really say he has 100% confidence in Kramer? Really? Yeah, he showed that throughout the year for sure 🙄
I mean what did people want him to say? “I am playing Kramer in the bowl game because he is the only QB left on the roster that is not a walk on freshman. I have no confidence in him and we are going to run the ball 50 times”? Most, if not all, college coaches would give a similar line to PJ’s. Probably a lot of NFL coaches too if they had to start a back up. They are going to want to show outward confidence in their player and show them support. If you want brutal honesty from a coach you should start a fund for the gophers to hire Mike Zimmer.

I mean what did people want him to say? “I am playing Kramer in the bowl game because he is the only QB left on the roster that is not a walk on freshman. I have no confidence in him and we are going to run the ball 50 times”? Most, if not all, college coaches would give a similar line to PJ’s. Probably a lot of NFL coaches too if they had to start a back up. They are going to want to show outward confidence in their player and show them support. If you want brutal honesty from a coach you should start a fund for the gophers to hire Mike Zimmer.
This, exactly. It’s as if some have never, ever, heard coach speak before.

Seriously. There's enough material to criticize PJ for without having to reach for stuff like this.

Yep, good for Cole, but P.J. might want to tone the schtick down just a tad.

"If we get to that position, we have plenty of options," Fleck said.

Seriously, PJ?
As opposed to NO options ;)

I'm sure a couple players there have been throwing the ball around ...

Has nothing to do with Cole. I'd guess most fans are very happy for him and interested in seeing how he'll do. It's the "We have plenty of options." Um ... no we don't PJ. Putting a densive back out there behind center or running a single wing or punting after every 3 plays are not really options. (From an original and still a "Fleckster.")

As opposed to NO options ;)

I'm sure a couple players there have been throwing the ball around ...
I'm actually kind of curious bwhonthe next option would be after Shik???

I'm actually kind of curious bwhonthe next option would be after Shik???
Probably wildcat snaps to Taylor or possibly to another player that played some QB in high school.

In regards to Kramer, sounds like he is ready to get on with life after football but this will probably be a pretty cool way for him to end his football career getting the chance to start in a bowl game. Something he can tell the grandkids about someday. Hopefully he has a great game and gets to be the hero.

Maybe it's just me, but playing football is a pretty convenient excuse to get out of planning a wedding.
Somewhat of a serious question... Do you think there was a NIL one-game offer to get Kramer to play in the game?

I would assume after getting minimal playing time for 5 years getting to start a game would be worth it but some money would be enough to make all parties happy. It is easy to forget these kids have lives... if he was supposed to be in Arizona preparing for wedding...

Has nothing to do with Cole. I'd guess most fans are very happy for him and interested in seeing how he'll do. It's the "We have plenty of options." Um ... no we don't PJ. Putting a densive back out there behind center or running a single wing or punting after every 3 plays are not really options. (From an original and still a "Fleckster.")
Feels like a need to complain. I'll never understand this position.

Somewhat of a serious question... Do you think there was a NIL one-game offer to get Kramer to play in the game?

I would assume after getting minimal playing time for 5 years getting to start a game would be worth it but some money would be enough to make all parties happy. It is easy to forget these kids have lives... if he was supposed to be in Arizona preparing for wedding...
Who knows but I doubt they had to bribe him to play one last game with the team. Even though he hasn't gotten much playing time over this time at the U he has still been part of the team and I am sure has strong bonds with his teammates.

Given the QB situation, him sticking around to play one last game is the right thing to do and he is probably really excited to get the chance to end his football career by starting his final game before moving on with life after football.

Wouldn't surprise me

Call me old fashioned but the kid agreed to be part of the team for this season (and received a scholarship for doing so). Part of the expectation should be that you don't leave the team before the season is over. I know he wouldn't be breaking the rules if he left, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a kid to finish out the season.

Top Bottom