P.J. Fleck names Cole Kramer as Gophers starting quarterback for Quick Lane Bowl

Somewhat of a serious question... Do you think there was a NIL one-game offer to get Kramer to play in the game?

I would assume after getting minimal playing time for 5 years getting to start a game would be worth it but some money would be enough to make all parties happy. It is easy to forget these kids have lives... if he was supposed to be in Arizona preparing for wedding...
I would hope they gave him something. I think it would have been a harder sell if more key players had left, but one last ride with the boys probably sounded pretty good to a career backup.

Call me old fashioned but the kid agreed to be part of the team for this season (and received a scholarship for doing so). Part of the expectation should be that you don't leave the team before the season is over. I know he wouldn't be breaking the rules if he left, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a kid to finish out the season.
I 100% agree with you but it seems the coaching staff views this game as the first game of the 2024 season.

I mean what did people want him to say? “I am playing Kramer in the bowl game because he is the only QB left on the roster that is not a walk on freshman. I have no confidence in him and we are going to run the ball 50 times”? Most, if not all, college coaches would give a similar line to PJ’s. Probably a lot of NFL coaches too if they had to start a back up. They are going to want to show outward confidence in their player and show them support. If you want brutal honesty from a coach you should start a fund for the gophers to hire Mike Zimmer.
How about "Cole knew we were in a pinch, showed his appreciation for his team and university, and I am grateful he agreed to play."

Yep, good for Cole, but P.J. might want to tone the schtick down just a tad.

"If we get to that position, we have plenty of options," Fleck said.

Seriously, PJ?
he said if they get to a third stringer. I'm guessing more he's saying we have a mix of guys who could run wildcat and/or played HS QB and could go out there, not that they'll all be good

I also don't get why people are saying Kramer is doing PJ some big favor? It's one last chance to go out with some of your best friends you will ever have and try win a game and make some memories that you will have forever. For a competitor, which clearly Kramer is, I don't think it takes any added incentive other than a chance to write your own story one final time. For guys that there's nothing after this, there's a reason they pretty much all play in the bowl game. As is often said, after this all that's left is the babies and the memories. Why wouldn't you extend that out as long as you can?

That would have made a world of difference had he said that. It's these little things that PJ is overlooking that are holding us back from greatness.

Exactly!

Let's analyze every word Fleck says; maybe we can find fault with some of it.

KFAN has built a sports talk empire on analyzing what this or that coach said, and second-guessing it.

How about "Cole knew we were in a pinch, showed his appreciation for his team and university, and I am grateful he agreed to play."
And when the inevitable follow up question about his confidence in Cole comes up?

I mean I am all for ripping coach speak but come on.

And when the inevitable follow up question about his confidence in Cole comes up?

I mean I am all for ripping coach speak but come on.
The answer to your question is "He is our best option."

The answer to your question is "He is our best option."

"The answer" according to ... you?

I am fine with what Fleck said. It seems others here are as well. So... maybe there is more than just the one "answer"...?

🤷‍♂️

he said if they get to a third stringer. I'm guessing more he's saying we have a mix of guys who could run wildcat and/or played HS QB and could go out there, not that they'll all be good

I also don't get why people are saying Kramer is doing PJ some big favor? It's one last chance to go out with some of your best friends you will ever have and try win a game and make some memories that you will have forever. For a competitor, which clearly Kramer is, I don't think it takes any added incentive other than a chance to write your own story one final time. For guys that there's nothing after this, there's a reason they pretty much all play in the bowl game. As is often said, after this all that's left is the babies and the memories. Why wouldn't you extend that out as long as you can?
Because I don't think he planned to go to the game? Looks like he had moved on, and has a lot going on beyond playing in that bowl game.

Call me old fashioned but the kid agreed to be part of the team for this season (and received a scholarship for doing so). Part of the expectation should be that you don't leave the team before the season is over. I know he wouldn't be breaking the rules if he left, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a kid to finish out the season.
I agree. Its a month.

Yes. Maybe the people who are constantly triggered by every word a coach says should choose to pay less attention to every word the coach says...?

🤷‍♂️
People are great at hearing what they want to hear. Those looking for a reason to bash the coach can easily find reasons to do so by listening to press conferences and then over analyzing every word.

I 100% agree with you but it seems the coaching staff views this game as the first game of the 2024 season.
Even if they view it as more part of the 2024 season they are still not going to want to hand the reigns to a walk on true freshman QB for the bowl game. Kramer might not benefit from the bowl game but the other players around him will most likely get more from having an experienced QB under center then some really raw kid getting thrust into action way before he is ready.

Bowl game prediction: Cole starts, takes one wildcat snap for the first play of the game and takes it for a touchdown. He exits the field to thunderous applause. Max Shikenjanski takes over and Bowling Green (totally unprepared for a passing attack) is unable to stop him as he throws for 700 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Action Network.com has a Bowl game tracker on its website. They list every bowl game, and for each team, they have a running tally of players entering the portal, key injuries, and players expected to opt-out of the game. Some teams only have a few players listed - other teams have multiple starters who will likely not be playing. if you have a little time, it's interesting to look through.

on the Gophers' QB situation - when I was a student at Augsburg, one year we were thin at QB. the Starter and backup both got hurt, and they wound up putting the tailback in the shotgun. he mostly ran the ball - wasn't much of a passer. a couple of times (I am not making this up) they put the TE in motion behind the line of scrimmage, pitched him the ball and he would throw a pass because he had a better arm than the tailback.

one more thought -

Cole Kramer is Carter Coughlin's cousin. His grandfather - Tom Moe - is a former Athletic Director at the U of MN. Tom Moe is also a former Gopher Football MVP - played on the 1960 National Championship team, and also played on the Gopher Baseball team.

Cole Kramer is a Gopher from a lifelong Gopher family. when the Gophers say "we need you," does anyone think he would say No? this is a moment that Kramer has probably dreamt about his entire life - quarterbacking the Gopher football team in a Bowl Game. nobody is going to be prouder than Cole Kramer to run onto that field with "Minnesota" on his uniform.

prediction - about 25 years from now, Kramer's son will be playing for the Gophers.

Pretty sure he had decided before there was a need for him to play. He's barely seen game action in the whole time he has been on the team, has his degree, and is planning his life after football. If he was an NFL draft prospect, and decided to move on given the same situation (5-7 team going to lowest rated bowl game), would you feel the same?

Bowl game prediction: Cole starts, takes one wildcat snap for the first play of the game and takes it for a touchdown. He exits the field to thunderous applause. Max Shikenjanski takes over and Bowling Green (totally unprepared for a passing attack) is unable to stop him as he throws for 700 yards and 8 touchdowns.
Works for me.... :)

Kramer is taking a break from preparing for his upcoming wedding... for a guy isn't planning a wedding done by saying yes to whatever the future bride says?
That is how mine worked but maybe the kids are doing things differently these days.

Top Bottom