***OFFICIAL wisconsin AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

You CANNOT shoot free throws that poorly, year in and year out. How in the hell is this not addressed? It is not like it's been improving. It has been steadily declining. Shoot even a modest 65% and this is a win.

It is inexcusable.
I was once a sports psychologist. I’d be willing to talk to the team. It wouldn’t be cheap, but I’d be willing to talk to the team.

I told my wife that Wisconsin was smart enough to make this a free throw shooting contest and, for that reason, I'd take Payne out of the game late, at least on offense. Ironically, it was our good free throw shooters who failed us.
This team knows more ways to lose than you can ever imagine, my friend.

I was once a sports psychologist. I’d be willing to talk to the team. It wouldn’t be cheap, but I’d be willing to talk to the team.
I'd rather they save money to throw the bank at the new coaching staff

Shooting is awful on this team.

Tonight was 37.9% FG, 41.7% 3PT and 38.7% on Free Throws.

Free Throws is just mind[bleep]ing stupid to not be higher.
Field Goals the same. Do we not think high percentage shots in, and around, the paint are a good thing? 🤯

Coaching once again was poor. Up 2 with the ball, we try to drain clock with more than 2 minutes left. You could see the Hawkins turnover coming a mile away very reminiscent of JOJ against Michigan State last game from the perspective of it being very easy to see. Drain clock again in a tied game and turn it over a second time. Get a huge break with the missed layup and dunk technical after that turnover. Drain clock AGAIN despite having a chance to set up a nice 2 for 1 opportunity with a minute left and it's almost identical to the Missouri game with Dawson Garcia throwing up a prayer at the end of the shot clock instead of Cam Christie. One last chance down 1 after 2 made Badger free throws and we drain the clock again and get a tough turnaround jumper attempt (yes he was fouled) from the smallest player on the court. That's 4 possessions late and the offense produced zero good looks and 2 turnovers at home.

Wisconsin goes quick on the road. They're confident, they have a plan. Out of a timeout they get an immediate trip to the line going at the foul prone Payne for 2 free throws, We seemed to just be hoping to run out the clock. Brutal.

One thing I won't blame Ben for because it's been going on for decades is the absolutely sickening consistency of Gopher Basketball (Minnesota sports in general really) choking in big spots. Garcia missing that technical was especially egregious and then Carrington goes 1-2 at the line after a really scrappy O-board. 2 years ago Willis went to the line and had a chance to tie or win against Wisconsin and he either airballed his first shot or came damn close to it. Storr and Wahl go to the line on the road in a supposed rivalry game and go 4-4. I would guess in this awful streak against Wisconsin we've lost at least 6-7 games where we just choked it away late. Meanwhile Bronson Koening is hitting 30 footers to send games in to OT at the Barn. This goes back to Andre Hollins being a great free throw shooter in the first 37 minutes of the game and Ben Wallace in the final 3. It goes back to Kevin Burleson and the 5 second violation against Illinois. It's just a constant, constant thing with this program.

I wonder if we can beat the vadgers on the Wrestling mat??

This losing to these guys really in everything these days, really has gotten epic and epically embarrassing!!

Coaching once again was poor. Up 2 with the ball, we try to drain clock with more than 2 minutes left. You could see the Hawkins turnover coming a mile away very reminiscent of JOJ against Michigan State last game from the perspective of it being very easy to see. Drain clock again in a tied game and turn it over a second time. Get a huge break with the missed layup and dunk technical after that turnover. Drain clock AGAIN despite having a chance to set up a nice 2 for 1 opportunity with a minute left and it's almost identical to the Missouri game with Dawson Garcia throwing up a prayer at the end of the shot clock instead of Cam Christie. One last chance down 1 after 2 made Badger free throws and we drain the clock again and get a tough turnaround jumper attempt (yes he was fouled) from the smallest player on the court. That's 4 possessions late and the offense produced zero good looks and 2 turnovers at home.

Wisconsin goes quick on the road. They're confident, they have a plan. Out of a timeout they get an immediate trip to the line going at the foul prone Payne for 2 free throws, We seemed to just be hoping to run out the clock. Brutal.

One thing I won't blame Ben for because it's been going on for decades is the absolutely sickening consistency of Gopher Basketball (Minnesota sports in general really) choking in big spots. Garcia missing that technical was especially egregious and then Carrington goes 1-2 at the line after a really scrappy O-board. 2 years ago Willis went to the line and had a chance to tie or win against Wisconsin and he either airballed his first shot or came damn close to it. Storr and Wahl go to the line on the road in a supposed rivalry game and go 4-4. I would guess in this awful streak against Wisconsin we've lost at least 6-7 games where we just choked it away late. Meanwhile Bronson Koening is hitting 30 footers to send games in to OT at the Barn. This goes back to Andre Hollins being a great free throw shooter in the first 37 minutes of the game and Ben Wallace in the final 3. It goes back to Kevin Burleson and the 5 second violation against Illinois. It's just a constant, constant thing with this program.
Good recap of the meltdown to end the game. What’s almost worse is people forget how awful the first half was. We spotted our opponent 15 points right out of the gate again as the Gophers came out ice cold and out of sorts.

I think we’ve been down double digits in the first half for the majority of our conference games.

Shit, I forgot about the missed 2-for-1 opportunity! I can't say I was screaming at the TV at that point, because I've become so accustomed to this staff screwing things like that up, but I did quietly remark about it to my wife.

Guard play and shooting we do not have! BJ has not addressed that in 3 years, he has tried ?? But missed badly 2 years in a row in his transfer guards.

Time to move on. Gotta get a guy in here who can recruit to needs and a style of play where it is attractive for kids!

Shooting is awful on this team.

Tonight was 37.9% FG, 41.7% 3PT and 38.7% on Free Throws.

Free Throws is just mind[bleep]ing stupid to not be higher.
Field Goals the same. Do we not think high percentage shots in, and around, the paint are a good thing? 🤯
Its not the shooting- these guys can shoot. It's the offense. Our shots end up being tougher than the other team's shots. Against weak non- conference teams we were able to get what we wanted and we were shooting at a pace we haven't seen here in years. Now, with Ben never posting anyone up on the low block, there is pressure on every shot. We don't move the ball enough to move the defense. We saw Wisconsin do the opposite. The only two reasons we were in the game last night was we got hot and shot 3s at a 7-10 rate in the second half and we didn't turn it over much (8).
Hawkins is the heart of this team. Garcia = KAT

Hawkins really pisses me off sometimes. Lazy pass over players that gets picked off for an easy bucket, dribbles into the lane and passes it to Payne who stepped out even further from the bucket than he is when he could have kept dribbling or found someone else, and passes to Payne when he isn’t set up on the low block and is instantly surrounded by three players and stripped repeatedly. At this point a player should know better than that. This is on the coach as well to not know how to set up an offense so Payne isn’t always put in such a terrible position but those types of passes are just plain stupid.

Let it all out brother, this is a safe space. I too have been hurt by this program. It’s not your fault…. It’s not your fault….

Hawkins really pisses me off sometimes. Lazy pass over players that gets picked off for an easy bucket, dribbles into the lane and passes it to Payne who stepped out even further from the bucket than he is when he could have kept dribbling or found someone else, and passes to Payne when he isn’t set up on the low block and is instantly surrounded by three players and stripped repeatedly. At this point a player should know better than that. This is on the coach as well to not know how to set up an offense so Payne isn’t always put in such a terrible position but those types of passes are just plain stupid.
It’s not on Hawkins. We don’t run an offense that generates open looks or post entry options. CBJ can’t even do that out of timeouts. Our best offense has been Hawkins speeding everything up. Since the Tubby era, this team has struggled to score if the other team makes a bucket and sets their defense. We haven’t had an effective offensive system since god knows when. Our best offenses were Coffey, Carr, Oturu taking over individually (and unfortunately in consecutive years rather than concurrently due to transfer rules and early draft exits).

Hawkins played a great game. He willed us into that game.

Only 5 minutes from JOJ?
Post game on JOJ last night. We were late to the game and had to park at the top of the ramp. Took quite awhile to get out of the ramp following the game. See this guy with a back pack walking and my 16 year old goes, OMG that's JOJ. Sure was, just walking alone to his 20 year old ford to head home. All I could think was how different that occurrence might have been with a win.

Guard play and shooting we do not have! BJ has not addressed that in 3 years, he has tried ?? But missed badly 2 years in a row in his transfer guards.

Time to move on. Gotta get a guy in here who can recruit to needs and a style of play where it is attractive for kids!
To solidify your thinking.

Hawkins, who helped Howard to its first NCAA tournament in more than a decade last season, ranks third in the Big Ten in assists per game (4.8) but is also second in most turnovers per game (3.2). Mitchell averages 8.4 points but the same in assists and turnovers (both 2.2).

It’s not on Hawkins. We don’t run an offense that generates open looks or post entry options. CBJ can’t even do that out of timeouts. Our best offense has been Hawkins speeding everything up. Since the Tubby era, this team has struggled to score if the other team makes a bucket and sets their defense. We haven’t had an effective offensive system since god knows when. Our best offenses were Coffey, Carr, Oturu taking over individually (and unfortunately in consecutive years rather than concurrently due to transfer rules and early draft exits).
Hawkins should still know better than to give it to Payne in such bad spots.

Hawkins was the least of our worries last night. The offense would’ve stalled completely without him.

Reactions: SDR

Post game on JOJ last night. We were late to the game and had to park at the top of the ramp. Took quite awhile to get out of the ramp following the game. See this guy with a back pack walking and my 16 year old goes, OMG that's JOJ. Sure was, just walking alone to his 20 year old ford to head home. All I could think was how different that occurrence might have been with a win.
Driving mint condition 2004 Ford Cobra mustang! Sweet!

Hawkins should still know better than to give it to Payne in such bad spots.
You talk about feeding to it to Payne in the low post. That's NOT where Ben sets him up. The ball crosses mid court, the guards start the action, Payne comes out and sets the high screen for Hawkins at the arc and then generally goes into the free throw line area. He is rarely set up low. He was earlier in the year when they could bully teams and just get into the lane and let Payne drift down on the low block. Wisconsin had the lane stuffed and we didn't make them move out of there.

If this team ever figures out how to play the way they do in the second half for the full game....man that would be fun to watch. These slow shooting starts are so frustrating, and Garcia seems to be a non factor for most of the first half before kicking it into gear in the second half.

There is a lot to like about this current Gopher squad but they have to find a way to play better in the first half and not dig such a deep hole every single game.

You talk about feeding to it to Payne in the low post. That's NOT where Ben sets him up. The ball crosses mid court, the guards start the action, Payne comes out and sets the high screen for Hawkins at the arc and then generally goes into the free throw line area. He is rarely set up low. He was earlier in the year when they could bully teams and just get into the lane and let Payne drift down on the low block. Wisconsin had the lane stuffed and we didn't make them move out of there.
Awesome response. I am 100% certain you have coached bball.

When Hawkins is driving and Payne steps out about 3 feet further passing to him is not in the game plan and inexcusable. Also, passing your him when he is about 7-9 feet from the hoop and surrounded by three Wisconsin players is inexcusable. Setting a screen at the top of the key is game plan and used to help facilitate moving the ball and get matchups they like. The rest is just horsecrap play.

When Hawkins is driving and Payne steps out about 3 feet further passing to him is not in the game plan and inexcusable. Also, passing your him when he is about 7-9 feet from the hoop and surrounded by three Wisconsin players is inexcusable. Setting a screen at the top of the key is game plan and used to help facilitate moving the ball and get matchups they like. The rest is just horsecrap play.
If something else is in the game plan - they aren't doing it. Payne was not on the low blocks at all last night. Meanwhile a lesser athlete than Payne, Wahl, is getting passes 4 feet from the basket isolated against Payne or Garcia one on one. Crazy.

Top Bottom