***OFFICIAL uw-GREEN BAY AT MINNESOTA EARLY START TIME IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Chatman and Winter would be an incredible haul. Ben needs to make that happen.
Chatman has to watch Willis out there and feel good about the idea of coming here.

Winter would be a great piece to add at the forward spot!

would sure be fun to watch Battle, Carrington, & Winter shooting 3's.....with Payne in the post and Chatman maning the point....

Just saw the replay. To overturn that was horseshit. Based on the video/still motion quality, you could almost say there was separation (darkness from the background between the finger and the ball) at 0.0. With that said, if they would have called it no good on the court I wouldn't have overturned that. Either way, overturning whatever call they initially made was wrong.

Yea that sucked, such a beautiful play to get that shot off.

It was nice to see them wake up in the second half.

Thompson looked more comfortable today. More playing time will help.
This isn't a gripe against Ben because I know Ben doesn't have any other option at this point, but Thompson is also playing out of position at the 4 when he does play.

He is always playing with either Curry or Daniels which kind of destroys spacing on offense. While Thompson might be comfortable shooting, he doesn't move, cut, handle like an ideal college basketball 4 (see Battle). He is also forced to defend smaller/faster defenders which forces him to draw fouls.

If I'm Ben, I'd probably go 4 Gs and a a 5 when I need to rest Battle just because I think having two posts REALLY messes up everything you're trying to accomplish, but Ben has really limited options. That said, Thompson is a pretty raw, FR 6'11" guy who unfortunately is forced to play a bit out of position.

I do think there is something there though. He is more athletic and skilled than I was thinking. If/when he figures it out, he'll contribute.

What I liked is that Ben made the switch and the little guy didn’t get to the hoop all second half. Yes they scored about the same but he didn’t get the layups he had in the first half. Plus I loved that he recognized Willis was getting eaten alive and it was affecting his offensive game. The switch was made and Willis flourished in the second half not having to work so hard on defense against their point guard. Simple adjustments that weren’t made by our previous coach. I’m impressed with Ben and the others on staff. Good defense, take care of the ball, and shoot it well, all key parts to winning basketball,
Yep, it was a great move by Ben. It was a prime example of how even the most analytical of coaches need to still have that feel and human touch. Willis was clearly bothered by chasing the gnats in the first half and it looked like something Sutherlin was born to do.

BTW - I love Sutherlin's game. It's not always pretty and when he is off it's pretty rough but he plays exceptionally hard and tough. It's almost like a LBer on the court. It's weird to get "toughness" from your guard spot but he brings it. I really wish we had him for another year.

You know you're officially messed up when you realize you're checking out the next opponents stats and heights (1-11 and the game isn't even until the 29th) and who will be matched up with who defensively.

You know you're officially messed up when you realize you're checking out the next opponents stats and heights (1-11 and the game isn't even until the 29th) and who will be matched up with who defensively.
That's dedication and being a believer in this team!

Johnson's play calling after time out were impressive.
Agree with you and @tripledouble. From memory, the 1st half 2 for 1, the EJ buzzer-beater-that-wasn’t, the Battle dunk, a Curry jumper, and one of Battle’s threes were all called plays. It’s nice to have in-bounds plays be an opportunity to score points and not just be a heave to mid-court.

This team is...methodical. No high's no lows, just plug away and methodically beat their opponent. This is where all that experience comes in.

Regarding Thiam and Thompson, I was hoping both would drain a 3 to give them confidence. Thiam passed up an open 3, which shows he's all about team, but that was a perfect shot for him to take. These two make a couple shots and they gain confidence.

I remember hearing Johnson be interviewed and he was talking about Thompson as someone who could shoot from the perimeter. the gist of the interview was that Johnson ideally wants four players on the floor who can shoot from the outside, and five if possible.

and given Thompson's body type, I don't see him as a "banger." I see him as a 'stretch four' type.

now, that all depends on matchups, so he could play inside against a smaller opponent, but I just don't see him spending a lot of time in the paint banging with some 260-lb post player.

Also watched with a 15 month old for part of the game....got her to sit still for the last 6 minutes or so which was a big W for me.
I watched the second half of the 2019 gophers/PSU football game with my three month old granddaughter asleep in my arms. Had she awakened I would have incurred the wrath of my wife, my sleep deprived daughter and my sleep deprived SIL. I did not make a sound. I did not move a muscle. I might have been as focused on the goal as any of the gophers on the field. The gophs won the game against the #4 ranked team in the country. My GD remained asleep. I remain in the family. Win/win/win.

Chiropractic visit that Monday.

This team is...methodical. No high's no lows, just plug away and methodically beat their opponent. This is where all that experience comes in.

Regarding Thiam and Thompson, I was hoping both would drain a 3 to give them confidence. Thiam passed up an open 3, which shows he's all about team, but that was a perfect shot for him to take. These two make a couple shots and they gain confidence.
I thought he forced a 3 a bit earlier, and then he missed on a drive to the basket. I was paying special attention to him and was wondering how he would respond. Seemed like that would have been a good shot to take. Hope they start falling for him!

I thought he forced a 3 a bit earlier, and then he missed on a drive to the basket. I was paying special attention to him and was wondering how he would respond. Seemed like that would have been a good shot to take. Hope they start falling for him!
I thought both the first shot and the drive were good takes. He just left that next attempt and passed off.
I suspect this team has been drilled to pay attention to the clock and work the ball for a longer shot clock attempt, but I really was rooting for him and Thompson to drain one of those shots.

I thought both the first shot and the drive were good takes. He just left that next attempt and passed off.
I suspect this team has been drilled to pay attention to the clock and work the ball for a longer shot clock attempt, but I really was rooting for him and Thompson to drain one of those shots.
I didn't like the first 3PT shot -- he had a guy in his face, took a couple jab steps, then took a contested shot with 21 seconds left on the shot clock...I think they could have had a better opportunity.

On the next possession, he got an offensive rebound (good!) and then had what I thought was a really nice looking drive strong drive after a shot fake, but couldn't finish.

That next opportunity was open and I was hoping he would drain it...but it's gotta be a bit nerve wracking for these guys who never see the floor to take a shot when they've already missed a couple. I remember those days from high school ball, desperately not wanting to screw up and lose your playing time. There were also 25 seconds left on the shot clock so maybe you're right.

Sutherlin finishes at the rim like Murphy used to. They could power to the hoop with such strength, take the contact, and still have enough touch to get the hoop. Remarkable, considering how many guys come up short, even with little contact (Curry being the most recent; he now has the body and strength, just can’t finish).

Sutherlin finishes at the rim like Murphy used to. They could power to the hoop with such strength, take the contact, and still have enough touch to get the hoop. Remarkable, considering how many guys come up short, even with little contact (Curry being the most recent; he now has the body and strength, just can’t finish).
It's unfortunate that Curry couldn't have worked with Kareem Abdul Jabbar on the Sky hook. Curry's hook shot is more like the "scud missile" going toward the rim. It's a straight path rather than a soft arch. Most times it just clangs around with, at best, a 50/50 chance of falling in the basket. Curry adds a sky hook and he becomes a deadly weapon for us...just sayin...

He really is tough. Just amazing rebound numbers at New Hampshire. The only way a 6'5" guy leads the league in rebounding just has to be with tenacity. Very close to a double double there for the season and that from a guy that doesn't shoot well from the outside, which leads to what you posted.

Top Bottom