***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

We've got next years class pretty well filled out.

Unless we plan to play with a roster of 8-9 players, next year's class is not pretty well filled out.

I would definitely predict Johnson would add 2-3 transfers to the four freshmen coming in.

I'm also not sure you want to have a single class with much more than 4 high schoolers, unless there is a one-and-done in there. Class balance is important, too.

We have no length on the perimeter, our foot speed on the perimeter is not great.

Inside we have basically nothing as far as defense. We aren't big and don't get off our feet well.

To me, they are doing what they can and hustle. It's a simple lack of talent. They give what they have.

Our defensive points per game does not appear bad, but we run the shot clock down and play slow. That helps your defensive numbers.
I would say secondarily, you also have to look at who we've played to this point in terms of their offensive efficiency

Mi St x2 (#6)
Mich (#5)
Illinois (#4)
Indiana (#9)
Iowa (#2)
Rutgers (#13)
OSU (#3)
WI (#8)
Purdue (#1)

We've missed 7, 11, 12, and 14 to this point and when we played the worst offense we've played, we were missing multiple starters.

If you break it down further, our D doesn't generate turnovers well or rebound the basketball well. As you say, we don't match up well with bigs nor with teams with advanced footspeed (it's why our D rating vs WI wasn't bad but got drilled by OSU and Purdue). The team doesn't have the horses like we all knew when the season started and any time you're missing guys, it's going to be worse

I can’t rewind, but I thought battle was running back after the dunk with 36 seconds left, I blinked, and the shot clock went off… did it take Purdue 7 seconds to corral the ball and inbound it?
I thought the same thing.....what a great way to end up with the last shot of the half....stumble around with the ball for seven seconds and only inbound it with less than 30 seconds left Bizarre.

The worst thing Ben can do is take to 4 year guy just take a HS guy that stuck on bench for 4 years.

I don't think we should be portal/transfer U, but I wouldnt object to 2-3 scholarship players being transfers on any given team going forward

Completely agree. I don't understand the negativity some have when it comes to transfers. It's like some people consider them mercenaries instead of true soldiers or something.

Transfers pose less risk of being relatively useless. We had some players here during the Pitino era that were recruited out of the prep ranks who never would have been recruited as transfers. Furthermore, if the one excuse-free transfer rule (meaning players automatically are immediately eligible if they haven't transferred before) is enforced, transfers are less likely to leave than prep recruits.

I missed this entire game as I was watching Hondurans play on Hoth.

Must have played pretty well with only 5 turnovers and shot well. Purdue is a good team that the Gophers don't match up particularly well with, though it doesn't appear their size was the reason for them winning.

Completely agree. I don't understand the negativity some have when it comes to transfers. It's like some people consider them mercenaries instead of true soldiers or something.

Transfers pose less risk of being relatively useless. We had some players here during the Pitino era that were recruited out of the prep ranks who never would have been recruited as transfers. Furthermore, if the one excuse-free transfer rule (meaning players automatically are immediately eligible if they haven't transferred before) is enforced, transfers are less likely to leave than prep recruits.
I think there are still a lot of fans that have struggled to embrace the portal and the reality of how it changes things in terms of football and basketball recruiting.

They are mercenaries. That's not a knock on the kids- it's the new rules. The new rules are unfortunate for college basketball.
At the present time- it is what it is and coaches are going to have to get used to fitting transfers into their plans. Guys that are not on a winning team or playing the role they think they should will think that transferring is the answer. In some cases- it might be.

Some schools, such as Texas Tech, hit the jackpot on transfers. Others, such as San Jose State under Miles, not so much. Thinking Ben brings in 3 or 4 for next season.

I think there are still a lot of fans that have struggled to embrace the portal and the reality of how it changes things in terms of football and basketball recruiting.
Agreed, I think people just fear unknown in general, even when it's obvious a hole will be fixed in the portal you don't really know what that's going to look like until it happens, si I think that fear just makes it easier for people to be negative about something they don't understand. Funny thing once the transfer shows up a lot of those people will convince themselves they're the greatest thing ever because they shot 100% in their highlight video

Next year is going to be brutal, also. We've got next years class pretty well filled out.

It's so damn hard to recruit when kids see this year and what will be a struggle next year. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Next year will be rough, but we will get to see some young guys play. Hopefully they give us hope and excitement. What sucks about this year, is there is nothing for the future to really watch except TT.

It may be brutal in terms of wins and losses, but I think the local kids get that we're rebuilding.

I really like our chances with next years top in-state recruits. Ben Johnson builds great relationships with the players, is well liked in the AAU circuit, has turned this years team respectable, and will have had plenty of time to recruit these guys. You get a couple studs and you can turn a program around quickly. Taison Chatman is that kind of player from what I've heard, and it sounds like we're in good shape with him. You have to like our chances with Nolan Winter given his Mom & Dad are both Gopher greats, Boden Kapke would likely play immediately. I'm probably forgetting someone, but those are the big three off the top of my head.

I agree there's not much this year to watch in terms of the future other than TT, but I have found this years team to be one of the most enjoyable to watch in years. It's hard not to root for these guys. Undersized, undermanned, out-muscled, and a step slow compared to everyone in the B1G, but their effort, and Johnson's coaching make them a lot of fun to watch.

We have no length on the perimeter, our foot speed on the perimeter is not great.

Inside we have basically nothing as far as defense. We aren't big and don't get off our feet well.

To me, they are doing what they can and hustle. It's a simple lack of talent. They give what they have.

Our defensive points per game does not appear bad, but we run the shot clock down and play slow. That helps your defensive numbers.
I agree, even though we are losing this team hustles and is very easy to root for. I love the effort. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season and ready to see Fox and Inhen back. Hopefully Curry will be that grad assistant coach so he can be part of this winning program going forward. Go Gophers!

I missed this entire game as I was watching Hondurans play on Hoth.

Must have played pretty well with only 5 turnovers and shot well. Purdue is a good team that the Gophers don't match up particularly well with, though it doesn't appear their size was the reason for them winning.
I thought they played well, size and athleticism cost them the game, they couldn't get a stop all game long, to much inside and didn't miss much from the outside when it was dumped back out. I'm guessing they could play Purdue and Illinois ten times each and not come close to winning any of them.

I can’t rewind, but I thought battle was running back after the dunk with 36 seconds left, I blinked, and the shot clock went off… did it take Purdue 7 seconds to corral the ball and inbound it?

I get that it is a legal strategy but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But if it works you might as well exploit it.

Does anyon believe it was a mistake not to start Curry ?
He seemed out of it the entire game an Purdue got off to a great start without him on the floor.

Does anyon believe it was a mistake not to start Curry ?
He seemed out of it the entire game an Purdue got off to a great start without him on the floor.
I'd say not, he may give you a better chance to win but he's not going to be here next year so you're better off starting and giving the experience to the players who will be. Just my opinion

I'd say not, he may give you a better chance to win but he's not going to be here next year so you're better off starting and giving the experience to the players who will be. Just my opinion
I don’t disagree, but the minutes went to Daniels, not TT.

Im left wondering if Daniels sole purpose was to be physical with Edey and force the refs to choose right away what type of game they’d allow. Unfortunately they were not shy with their whistles.

If Curry starts and picks up a couple of quick fouls, it changes the whole game. Then he sits the rest of the half. I like the choice to start Daniel’s. Normally, Idey plays the first 8 minutes and then sits. In a perfect world, Curry comes in when Idey gets his first rest.

Now that we're into the "moral victory" portion of the schedule, I guess we can hang our hats on trying hard and never giving up. At least that's something moving forward.

I get that it is a legal strategy but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But if it works you might as well exploit it.
It isn't new. You get 5 seconds to get the ball and get out of bounds. You get 5 seconds to inbound the ball. Great coaching by Painter, who is a great coach.

Offensively TT is really a stretch 4! I definitely saw some outside shooting and drives drives to the basket against those big centers of Purdue. Can't wait for another 20 lbs.

Except Charlie Daniels started in his place and he’s not going to be around next year either

It isn't new. You get 5 seconds to get the ball and get out of bounds. You get 5 seconds to inbound the ball. Great coaching by Painter, who is a great coach.

Not sure about him being great, let's wait a bit on that,he has not won enough of anything to be considered great yet.

There is a fundamental problem here that some of you are all missing so I will continue to harp on this. Johnson is making the SAME mistake that Pitino did. He is not getting minutes for his TWO freshman. Yes just recently he has started to give minutes to TT, which is great, but still not giving minutes to Thiam. All of the other starters except Battle will be gone next year. Starting Daniels, who is gone, does no good. Even the debate with Curry, is how many minutes should go to TT. Also, Ogele....come on...same situation. Senior...gone. There were many guys that were just gassed in the game...announcers mentioned it. Johnson should have played Thiam 10-15 minutes to give them a breather so they could maintain their energy later in the game. Down nearly 20 at one point and he cant get him in for a few minutes? Thus guys were worn out fighting back to get down 7 and then ran out of gas. Johnson is doing some good things and that along with the SENIORS who have experience are able to execute due to that experience and thus we have been performing better than expected. BUT that is the key we need guys that have experience. Having TT and Thiam riding the pine does no good for next year. We need them to learn this year so there is a better future. Johnson sucks in this regard!

Now that we're into the "moral victory" portion of the schedule, I guess we can hang our hats on trying hard and never giving up. At least that's something moving forward.
This season started with most any win was a moral victory, to talking the real goal, ncaa, back to moral victories.

There is a fundamental problem here that some of you are all missing so I will continue to harp on this. Johnson is making the SAME mistake that Pitino did. He is not getting minutes for his TWO freshman. Yes just recently he has started to give minutes to TT, which is great, but still not giving minutes to Thiam. All of the other starters except Battle will be gone next year. Starting Daniels, who is gone, does no good. Even the debate with Curry, is how many minutes should go to TT. Also, Ogele....come on...same situation. Senior...gone. There were many guys that were just gassed in the game...announcers mentioned it. Johnson should have played Thiam 10-15 minutes to give them a breather so they could maintain their energy later in the game. Down nearly 20 at one point and he cant get him in for a few minutes? Thus guys were worn out fighting back to get down 7 and then ran out of gas. Johnson is doing some good things and that along with the SENIORS who have experience are able to execute due to that experience and thus we have been performing better than expected. BUT that is the key we need guys that have experience. Having TT and Thiam riding the pine does no good for next year. We need them to learn this year so there is a better future. Johnson sucks in this regard!
Totally agree.

TT, apparently, wasn't ready. :)ROFLMAO:) Showed good results offensively in very, very limited minutes, then played 40 minutes and again performed very well (imo) offensively and even had impact on D, to limited minutes once again.

And, as I have said numerous times already, dont whine next year about very little experience.

Top Bottom