***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Apparently Coach Ben Johnson is not your coach? If that is the case, maybe you should spend more time on YOUR team's fan site.
He is not MY coach. He is the coach of the MN Gopher Mens BB team.

You say win now in this and other posts and then you want to play the youngins in other posts without regard to wins or losses. Are you just trying to get a rise out of people?
You will be first to make excuses next year and beyond when the kids that are playing have very limited experience.

And in the next breath others here continue to insist this year is not about winning, when it is obvious every season is about winning.

Note: Those very folks that dont think this season is about winning will not state the obvious. CBJ is playing to win. This season. Thompson helps winning, this year and beyond.

You will be first to make excuses next year and beyond when the kids that are playing have very limited experience.

And in the next breath others here continue to insist this year is not about winning, when it is obvious every season is about winning.

Note: Those very folks that dont think this season is about winning will not state the obvious. CBJ is playing to win. This season. Thompson helps winning, this year and beyond.
Next year, if everyone stays, Battle and Ihnen will have experience playing in the BIG, while Treyton, Abdoulaye, Parker and the incoming recruits won't. If Treyton played more it really doesn't do much for the experience factor as those three play the same position.

CBJ is playing to win. It's what should be done...every season. Had Treyton played more in earlier games, I don't think we win all of them. Even now he is still a major liability on defense and we have to change our approach to hide/protect him from being overmatched.

Winning games this season sells transfer players on what this program can be. Those players can see what CBJ is doing, which should help in bringing in upgrades over what we brought in this year.

Must have played pretty well with only 5 turnovers and shot well. Purdue is a good team that the Gophers don't match up particularly well with, though it doesn't appear their size was the reason for them winning.
to have a chance the gophers needed Purdue to miss shots inside when not doubled (they didn’t) and not go off from 3 (they shot 50%)

If you can’t stop them inside without doubling and they shoot 50% from 3…yikes

I agree bad matchup. As most are for this roster. Good effort though. No quit. We have 2 more big ten wins against the top 9 of the conference than I expected.

Next year, if everyone stays, Battle and Ihnen will have experience playing in the BIG, while Treyton, Abdoulaye, Parker and the incoming recruits won't. If Treyton played more it really doesn't do much for the experience factor as those three play the same position.

CBJ is playing to win. It's what should be done...every season. Had Treyton played more in earlier games, I don't think we win all of them. Even now he is still a major liability on defense and we have to change our approach to hide/protect him from being overmatched.

Winning games this season sells transfer players on what this program can be. Those players can see what CBJ is doing, which should help in bringing in upgrades over what we brought in this year.
Battle, yes. II has experience, however he was largely ineffective. His defensive presence was much better, however, as time went on. He is coming off an injury, and so is Fox. I hope both are ready and have no lasting impacts.

I dont think we win many of the previous games, re: TT. Agreed. I do feel he deserves time now, so he's more experienced next season and beyond. Yes, he is a liability on D most of the time.

Glad you agree regarding winning games. Some others do not agree.

Apparently you need to read to see what the coach said. Before spouting nonsense.
I'm not much interested in what the coach said to the rag. That would be coach speak and rag talk. What the coach actually does in developing players speaks for itself. In the case of Thompson the coaches have shown a masterful touch.

I'm not much interested in what the coach said to the rag. That would be coach speak and rag talk. What the coach actually does in developing players speaks for itself. In the case of Thompson the coaches have shown a masterful touch.
So we can’t trust cbj to be honest with the media. Noted.
TT had mad skills. Before he arrived on campus.

So we can’t trust cbj to be honest with the media. Noted.
TT had mad skills. Before he arrived on campus.
Not a question of honesty. All coaches talk to garbage media with express purpose of not saying anything. Coach speak.

I don't make excuses about anything. That is loser talk. I do, however, acknowledge the facts that are before me.

The facts this year are that Johnson has one young player with a future on this team and obviously didn't feel that they were ready to add to the product on the floor early in the season. That player is seeing more court time as their basketball IQ expands along with their basketball skills.

The facts are that establishing a culture and demonstrating a style of play are extremely important for a first year coach who is recruiting for today and into the future. Recruits will have real data and videos to show how Johnson wants to play.

The facts are that many predicted that this team would be lucky to be competitive in the non-conference let alone the Big10. This same team went undefeated in the preseason and has held up surprisingly well in the conference.

Johnson is getting accolades for rapidly bringing a bunch of players together in short order and melding them into a team. Mission accomplished.

I agree with everything you share here except the fact that nearly all of Treyton's experience HAS been in the conference. He had more against Purdue than in all other games before it combined. This season isn't over but to date has been about as successful as could be expected under the circumstances.

Barn - let me try this.

I don't think anyone is saying that this season is "not" about winning, or that winning isn't important.

Of course you want to win as many games as possible. Watch the games, and I think it's pretty clear that the coaches are coaching to win and the players are playing to win.

Where I differ is this - this season is about more than just winning.

A new Coach is going to be installing a new approach, new systems, and if you like the word, a new culture. It's a balance between trying to win games now and building for the future. Both are important. And yes, a coach has to make decisions. If you put a kid on the court before he's ready, and he gets schooled, is that good for his development? In my experience, that can set a kid back.

and, FWIW, I have heard several media people suggest that TT is not a good man-to-man defensive player, and that is why the coaches have tried to manage his playing time.

Barn - let me try this.

I don't think anyone is saying that this season is "not" about winning, or that winning isn't important.

Of course you want to win as many games as possible. Watch the games, and I think it's pretty clear that the coaches are coaching to win and the players are playing to win.

A new Coach is going to be installing a new approach, new systems, and if you like the word, a new culture. It's a balance between trying to win games now and building for the future. Both are important. And yes, a coach has to make decisions. If you put a kid on the court before he's ready, and he gets schooled, is that good for his development? In my experience, that can set a kid back.

and, FWIW, I have heard several media people suggest that TT is not a good man-to-man defensive player, and that is why the coaches have tried to manage his playing time.
Very well said…..he won’t get it…..but very well said.

Edit: Totally called it......can't make it up....lol (see post below this one).

Last edited:

Barn - let me try this.

SON - MNVCGUY is saying exactly that - this season is not about winning games. He has said it numerous times over the course of the past couple months. in fact, he said winning will not be important for the first FEW seasons!!!!! He will be in the great minority if this program isn't winning by year three, and winning a lot.

Furthermore, MNVCGUY has repeatedly said this year / first few years are all about instilling systems and culture. That work has already been done. Systems and strategy may be tweaked depending on roster, however I have been told right here on GH CBJ will only recruit his type of player, so really that should limit tweaking anything.

As long as media people say TT is bad at defense, I know I am on the right track.

SON - MNVCGUY is saying exactly that - this season is not about winning games. He has said it numerous times over the course of the past couple months. in fact, he said winning will not be important for the first FEW seasons!!!!! He will be in the great minority if this program isn't winning by year three, and winning a lot.

Furthermore, MNVCGUY has repeatedly said this year / first few years are all about instilling systems and culture. That work has already been done. Systems and strategy may be tweaked depending on roster, however I have been told right here on GH CBJ will only recruit his type of player, so really that should limit tweaking anything.

As long as media people say TT is bad at defense, I know I am on the right track.
Did you think a 6'11, 190-pound teenager would be good playing interior defense in the Big Ten?

Did you think a 6'11, 190-pound teenager would be good playing interior defense in the Big Ten?
Depends. Lots of teenagers are darn good.
Ever heard of Kevin Garnett?

Did you not see that I have repeatedly said TT defense was not fully capable? Trace Jackson Davis got beat pretty bad today by Kofi. 6 9 230 ish. Or doesn’t that fit your narrative?

Barn - let me try this.

1644113217458.png

Depends. Lots of teenagers are darn good.
Ever heard of Kevin Garnett?

Did you not see that I have repeatedly said TT defense was not fully capable? Trace Jackson Davis got beat pretty bad today by Kofi. 6 9 230 ish. Or doesn’t that fit your narrative?
Since when is Kevin Garnett "lots of teenagers"? How much did he weigh right out of high school?

My narrative during this discussion is that Thompson has been used appropriately both in furtherance of his own development and the team's.

Since when is Kevin Garnett "lots of teenagers"? How much did he weigh right out of high school?

My narrative during this discussion is that Thompson has been used appropriately both in furtherance of his own development and the team's.
See Holmgren, Chet.

See Holmgren, Chet.
So the comps you are going to use to prove some point about TT are NBA HOFer Kevin Garnett and #1 recruit in the Nation Chet Holmgren?

This has to be a bit...

So the comps you are going to use to prove some point about TT are NBA HOFer Kevin Garnett and #1 recruit in the Nation Chet Holmgren?

This has to be a bit...
Nope it’s just burnbarner in his natural state. TT doesn’t have mad skills yet, but he may get there eventually. His development has been going in the right direction, at the right pace. 30 to 40 more pounds and things will really improve including his defense.

This has to be a bit...

That was the question. I provided a couple examples. And it’s but but but but. Garnett wasn’t a hof player at 18. Neither is Chet.

Continue on your fantasy regarding not winning for the next few years.

That was the question. I provided a couple examples. And it’s but but but but. Garnett wasn’t a hof player at 18. Neither is Chet.

Continue on your fantasy regarding not winning for the next few years.
Can you even believe Thiam isn't starting in order to get the experience he needs for next year? Didn't Oscar Robertson and Jerry West both start as freshmen. Even Seth Curry saw the floor that first year.

Can you even believe Thiam isn't starting in order to get the experience he needs for next year? Didn't Oscar Robertson and Jerry West both start as freshmen. Even Seth Curry saw the floor that first year.
No, but Oscar did average 35 in his Sophomore year with 15 rebounds per game at 6'5"
Holy $hit those are some numbers. Played about 39 minutes per game.

Top Bottom