***OFFICIAL PENN ST AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Mitchell is a nice piece on a team. He's a bulldog, gets steals and would not be fun to play against when he is engaged like he was today. He has a little bit too quick of a trigger on shots for my taste but otherwise- he has been pretty valuable. I think Asuma is going to play and be pretty solid. What we lack is a 6-6 guy that can go to the hole- is there a Vince Grier out there?
He’s out there, but a bit too old at this point.

Mitchell is a nice piece on a team. He's a bulldog, gets steals and would not be fun to play against when he is engaged like he was today. He has a little bit too quick of a trigger on shots for my taste but otherwise- he has been pretty valuable. I think Asuma is going to play and be pretty solid. What we lack is a 6-6 guy that can go to the hole- is there a Vince Grier out there?
Christie, I’m thinking, will go more to the hole next year. He did it a couple of times in the Penn State game. Probably will become more a part of his repertoire after adding some strength.

Christie, I’m thinking, will go more to the hole next year. He did it a couple of times in the Penn State game. Probably will become more a part of his repertoire after adding some strength.
Agreed, the shot chart showing where Christie makes or misses his shots from showed how much he struggles to finish on his drives-and good for him for showing a willingness to put it on the floor and go.

Having Christie come back next year with an additional 15 lbs of muscle to finish drives better to go along with his sweet shooting stroke is very refreshing thought!

Another comforting thing about the Penn State win is that they did it with Garcia and Payne not contributing what they normally do. They won with their backcourt of Hawkins, Mitchell, and Christie, and with free throw shooting. What a stunning turnaround!

And assuming that trio comes back next year, along with Asuma, could mean very good things for this team next year.

Agreed, the shot chart showing where Christie makes or misses his shots from showed how much he struggles to finish on his drives-and good for him for showing a willingness to put it on the floor and go.

Having Christie come back next year with an additional 15 lbs of muscle to finish drives better to go along with his sweet shooting stroke is very refreshing thought!

Another comforting thing about the Penn State win is that they did it with Garcia and Payne not contributing what they normally do. They won with their backcourt of Hawkins, Mitchell, and Christie, and with free throw shooting. What a stunning turnaround!

And assuming that trio comes back next year, along with Asuma, could mean very good things for this team next year.
Agree. (Where are you seeing the shot chart?)

I agree that in an ideal situation Mitchell is your 6th man off the bench as opposed to a starter. He is aggressive and willing to shoot (even if he doesn't always take the best shots), but he is also on the smaller side and with Hawkins as your other guard it would be nice to have a little more size in the back court. Especially when you run up against a team like Illinois with their gigantic guards.
Ben is not going away from Hawk and Mitchell as the starting tandem. They are a team and getting better as the season goes. They will only get better next year, especially Mitchell as he continues to grow with experience at this level.

We are fine at guard next year with Asuma as the fifth one. That assumes Carrington stays.

If Carrington does leave, Ben would then need to bring in a guard in the portal. He would not want to go with three experienced guards and a freshman.

The highest need next year is a post player. If Fox leaves, the need becomes an imperative.

Christie went to the hole yesterday more than any game previously. That's a good sign. He scored on three drives, missed a layup on another, and on the fifth one he was blocked/hammered (no call) and lost the ball.

We will see this next year as a regular feature of his normal game. He will put defenders in a tough situation. Guard him close outside to try to limit a 45% three ball and risk having him drive past you, or hang back to prevent the drive and leave him good looks at three.

Another big advantage of adding more drives to his game will be free throws. Yesterday he was 8-8, surpassing even the perfection of Pharrel Payne.

Over 11K.

Most this year, right?

Hopefully we have a similar turnout on Wednesday.
I think so. Went to the hockey game last night. Full house there. Lousy two periods followed by a raucous comeback in the third...no happy ending though.

What's your base whiskey for those?
I more Win than Loss🤣

I just bought Bulleit premix. It was ~$18-20 for a 375 ml bottle.

I like their bourbon and rye, I’m lazy and I didn’t enjoy using bitters when I bought them previously, Old Fashioned calls for orange.

Last edited:

Payne, Christie, Hawkins and Garcia.

Mitchell has his moments but overall I think if we want a tournament bid next year and to go anywhere with it, you need to upgrade that spot. Mitchell could be very effective coming in off the bench.
You don't think They can further develop Mitchell? I do.

I more Win than Loss🤣

I like their bourbon and rye, I’m lazy and when I didn’t enjoy using bitters when I bought the previously, Old Fashioned calls for orange.
I was going to ask if you use Bulleit or maybe Four Roses. I still like the tactical part of mixing the drinks.

Needs some time in the weight room to gain some overall strength.

I more Win than Loss🤣

I like their bourbon and rye, I’m lazy and when I didn’t enjoy using bitters when I bought the previously, Old Fashioned calls for orange.
Try the "On The Rocks" premixed using Knob Creek bourbon. Found a great deal here. Buy 1 and get 1 free for 11.99 for 375 ml. Use an orange peel as well.

I more Win than Loss🤣

Makers Mark :)

Christie went to the hole yesterday more than any game previously. That's a good sign. He scored on three drives, missed a layup on another, and on the fifth one he was blocked/hammered (no call) and lost the ball....

Somewhat related, it looked like they were stretching Payne a bit. He took the ball mid-court (I winced) and other spots. We'll see how that turns out.

He was perfect 4-4 on FTs.

Don't put a ceiling on the man. DUNK!

I'm being talked into buying the Mitchell stock due to everyone on here. The potential is high for him, I've just always questioned the mindset. I need to buy in.
Yeah I think we look at Hawkins and how he adjusted, and think Mike should be on the same trajectory.

I'm being talked into buying the Mitchell stock due to everyone on here. The potential is high for him, I've just always questioned the mindset. I need to buy in.

The first half of the game was strange, but otherwise he looked good to me yesterday.

5 steals. 5 defensive rebounds. 11 points in a close match.

Guys like Christie and Hawk are better numbers -- and The Prophet adding PG leadership -- but Mitchell more than earns his spot.

We'll take this all day: 5 steals. 5 defensive rebounds. 11 points in a close match.

Try the "On The Rocks" premixed using Knob Creek bourbon. Found a great deal here. Buy 1 and get 1 free for 11.99 for 375 ml. Use an orange peel as well.
Knob Creek’s even better.

What does this word “free” mean? It is not used where I live.

Somewhat related, it looked like they were stretching Payne a bit. He took the ball mid-court (I winced) and other spots. We'll see how that turns out.

He was perfect 4-4 on FTs.

Don't put a ceiling on the man. DUNK!
And also of note Christie or Mitchell brought the ball up the court against modest pressure more than did Hawk.

The last couple years, with Gophers players coming in, you don't really know what you will get.

This season has been a payoff.

Last year's guard situation was not very good. Now the whole starting rotation looks good. They survived playing without Carrington. They did NOT survive Garcia on the bench for a long stretch. That's the limits of the roster.

But what a change from last season!

I’d like to see him really commit to the weight room and chisel up, make him stouter against downhill drives.

Top Bottom