***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS SAN FRANCISCO NEUTRAL SITE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

A few months back I was able to attend a practice with a few others. During the practice he commented that looking at this roster you have to think about next year when they all can return and think how much better they will be. This year is a building block year for him- in his view. And in his view- he is certain that he is right.

Boy, that's a big assumption! I have to think that there would be a number of defections even if the coach remains.

Boy, that's a big assumption! I have to think that there would be a number of defections even if the coach remains.
I agree. I would guess that at least one guard will be gone as well as Ihnen and Fox. Betts and Keinys, perhaps. Garcia almost for sure is done. So maybe 5 leave.
We need a couple guards that are tough scorers - not just shooters.

Other than Payne and Carrington, physically this team is soft. Great length not a lot of muscle.

I bet Ettinger wants to fire CBJ, but as he is just a 1 year interim guy. He will let the permanent guy/gal fire him.
It's not the President's job to fire the basketball coach. At least not at Minnesota. Maybe at Kentucky.

I agree. I would guess that at least one guard will be gone as well as Ihnen and Fox. Betts and Keinys, perhaps. Garcia almost for sure is done. So maybe 5 leave.

Other than Payne and Carrington, physically this team is soft. Great length not a lot of muscle.
Beyond Garcia, it's likely Payne and Christie will be getting NIL offers. Why would they stay for year 4 of dead coach walking if they can go somewhere for more $$ and win?

OSU will smoke them. If they are going to do anything this year, they must beat Nebraska next Wednesday. If they can't beat Nebraska at home there is no hope and I'm on board with Dave T as interim coach.
Last years OSU win is becoming the most important conference win in 20 yrs. Without it we would be reading futility record articles.

Our guards were badly outplayed and we got very little from Ola-Joseph and Ihnen. We scored only 8 points in final 9+ minutes - not good.

Reminded me of UNLV game last year, where they had better ball handlers who could hit some shots and we think 'Hey, maybe they are better than we think and are tourney caliber team, but not really and we are just lousy.
Just like the DePaul game as well, thought DePaul had turned it around but they were bad last year.

The might Dons (according to stocker) fail to reach the top 25 of mid major polls. But boy they are really good that 2022 at large and zero quality wins show that. That was one of the most embarrassing if not the most embarrassing loss of his time here.

Last edited:

This offensive "scheme" is dreadful. The guards are not good but this offense, whatever it is, is putting pressure on them to create it off the dribble and that's just not what they are capable of.
Mitchell, Carrington and Christie are jump shooters, not slashers. Hawkins can drive but he is too small and often out of control.

JOJ is a mystery player. Unless he is getting a pass at the bucket he is invisible out there. He is so athletic but seems to have no desire to play defense at all, or offense for that matter if he isn't getting the ball.

I think right now, even though I like Hawkins, I'd go Payne, Garcia, Carrington, Christie and Mitchell. Feed the post and shoot threes- that's what they have. Hawkins turns it over and can't physically match up on defense. Too bad because he is the only kid that can create for others on the whole team.
I agree totally with you about JOJ, other than the 30 second stretch where he got 2 baskets, I didn’t notice him. With his leaping ability, he should be a much better rebounder. I don’t think he does much defensively either, although last night I don’t feel anyone played well defensively. I thought Carrington had been pretty good so far, but last night he got beat quite a few times.

The might Dons (according to stocker) fail to reach the top 25 of mid major polls. But boy they are really good that 2022 at large and zero quality wins show that. That was one of the most embarrassing if not the most embarrassing loss of his time here.

I don't think the WCC is included as a mid-major in the first list you put there.

On the other, San Francisco is in the Other receiving votes just behind McNeese State and UMass-Lowell, so clearly they're on the rise. Shoo in for an at-large bid, most likely. :cool:

OSU will smoke them. If they are going to do anything this year, they must beat Nebraska next Wednesday. If they can't beat Nebraska at home there is no hope and I'm on board with Dave T as interim coach.
Nebraska is better than we are but I do agree we could beat them.
1. It will be Nebraska's first road game of the year. (That is piss poor scheduling)
2. Nebraska plays #15 ranked Creighton the game before us...that could also be to our advantage...big rivalry game....either full of themselves at 8 and 0 or on suicide watch...either way advantage Gophers.
But, Nebraska is a better team...we just may be playing them at the right time.

Unless Hawkins and Mitchell are not grad transfers and are stuck...hard to see them both running this back.
All the guys who have not transferred and can go somewhere else and play right away would seem
hard pressed not to.
Christie, Payne, even Ola Joseph are all going to have back channel suitors I would think.
I don't see Fox going any where.

Last night I said: he’s going to get fired. This morning I asked myself- why is he so unwilling to make any changes? He clearly has his players in the wrong scheme for who they are on both ends of the court. Yet no changes and he seems …not worried. The answer feels clear to me- he has been promised 5 years and next year he feels is the year he has the horses.
A few months back I was able to attend a practice with a few others. During the practice he commented that looking at this roster you have to think about next year when they all can return and think how much better they will be. This year is a building block year for him- in his view. And in his view- he is certain that he is right.
No clue if Ben Johnson was promised anything, I doubt it, but regardless if he wins 25 or loses 25 this year I always thought he was getting at least a 4th year.

1. It will be Nebraska's first road game of the year. (That is piss poor scheduling)
2. Nebraska plays #15 ranked Creighton the game before us...that could also be to our advantage...big rivalry game....either full of themselves at 8 and 0 or on suicide watch...either way advantage Gophers.
Nebraska is much better than a year ago. They picked up Rienk Mast who has added some muscle, and keeping Tominaga helped. Not sure it's much if at all advantage Gophers but hopefully we see significant improvement over last night's game. First thing to fix is offensive flow, which was difficult to watch, along with the turnovers.

No clue if Ben Johnson was promised anything, I doubt it, but regardless if he wins 25 or loses 25 this year I always thought he was getting at least a 4th year.
Loses 25 games this year he is replaced.

Loses 25 games this year he is replaced.
I'd say the only way you can state that with any certainty is if he resigns. There is a poll for you...better chance Ben resigns or the U of Minnesota pays a $6 million buyout or we got the same coach another year?

Nebraska is much better than a year ago. They picked up Rienk Mast who has added some muscle, and keeping Tominaga helped. Not sure it's much if at all advantage Gophers but hopefully we see significant improvement over last night's game. First thing to fix is offensive flow, which was difficult to watch, along with the turnovers.
Allick...transfer from New Mexico is a unique hustling player that just helps your team win. As a forward he sets up their offense. Doesn't get assists...but he would if it were hockey. He is a difference maker along with the other additions. In their 7 and 0 run they were missing some dinged up guys like Tominaga and Gary (two big scorers) but the last game I believe was all hands on deck.
Definitely better team than the Gophers...the psych part is our only opening.

Hawkins in the first 6 games for Howard had 22 turnovers in 201 minutes. (Against better competition also.) Fast forward to the first 6 games this year, 21 turnovers in 148 minutes. So. going backwards on the turnovers.
Mitchell in the first 6 games for Pepperdine had 12 turnovers in 198 minutes. Fast forward once again and 15 turnovers in 155 minutes. Once again, going backwards.

Small sample, but WTF?

Hawkins in the first 6 games for Howard had 22 turnovers in 201 minutes. (Against better competition also.) Fast forward to the first 6 games this year, 21 turnovers in 148 minutes. So. going backwards on the turnovers.
Mitchell in the first 6 games for Pepperdine had 12 turnovers in 198 minutes. Fast forward once again and 15 turnovers in 155 minutes. Once again, going backwards.

Small sample, but WTF?
It's the system. They send a big out to create screen and roll action that never works, Instead it draws defenders out to pressure the guards...where we are seeing them turn it over. Pitino ran the same stuff, but he had Carr and Mason who both could dribble through pressure. Mitchell and Hawkins can't consistently do that.

Bring it up court, set Garcia up around the FT line and run the ball through him. He can drive- pass to the sides or high low it to Payne. That would take a lot of pressure off the guards to make a play off the dribble. As it is now, we do very little passing that is purposeful.

I think up until Sunday that would be the case, not anymore, this team doesn't improve I doubt he lasts the season.

Watched this game the other night. Hate to say it, but that San Fran team had much more talent on their roster than we do.
Guard play is everything, and we don't have any. Dumb shots, zero defense from the guards. This roster is D2-ish. That and they don't play defense. If you have no talent, you have to win with defense.

PS to Ben. Take every dollar you get for NIL money and go out and buy the best guard out there. Quit trying to fill in with transfer guys that just aren't good or 2-3 star kids. We need to guard that does all three. Plays defense, can shoot, and doesn't turn the ball over. He hasn't had a single one since he was given the head coach job.

I'd say the only way you can state that with any certainty is if he resigns. There is a poll for you...better chance Ben resigns or the U of Minnesota pays a $6 million buyout or we got the same coach another year?

I'm still not sure that buyout really is $6 million. When I read the article posted here recently claiming it was, the author himself revealed that he really wasn't sure of the buyout value. If the extension did not increase the buyout (Coyle's last extension to Pitino did not), the buyout could be under $3 million after this season.

They may be better than the Gophers but they are still likely one of the 2-3 worst teams in the conference. If you can't beat them at home, you're not winning more than 3-4 games.

Top Bottom