***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS NORTHWESTERN BIG TEN TOURNAMENT WEAKLING WEDNESDAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Our first road win, without two starters and Carr struggling. Call me shocked. Glad the kids finally got a win before they get pounded tomorrow afternoon.
Does not count as a road win. However, it is a win and as ugly as it was the effort and defense was outstanding. Now OSU who is struggling.

When Carr is double teamed and mashburn breaks to the basket uncovered and Carr doesn’t throw it...is that bad schemr or a bad play.

I am not going to debate you. You can continue to think Pitino is a horrible coach. I’ll continue to think he is average.
You can continue to think he has constructed a talented roster. I will continue to think we have 2 good players and then a bunch of guys who would be good 7-9th players.

we both want a new coach anyways

I think that the roster is "fine". Not great. Clearly the front court is paper thin. Would have been nice to know what Freeman would have looked like had he been given more than zero minutes up until recently.

But I think it's clear that Pitino is just a bad coach all around.

a lot of negativity on here considering we haven't lost a game in the Big Ten tourney in the last 2 years. We have the most wins of anyone in the Big Ten tourney in that stretch
Hell, we even averaged 50% from 3 in the tournament last year

Hopefully it’s competitive. 🤞

I would love to see the guys win another. I just have very little confidence in that. The Gophers built a lead today off of ice cold shooting by NW....and still squandered it with an offensive scheme that looks like no scheme at all. We basically need to be shooting hot. I'd say that we're due.

Neither team cracked 40% on FGs neither reached 30% on 3ptFGs and neither got to 50% on free throws. That's pathetic.
Those are pathetic statistics and the reality is they could be much much worse and there would still be a winner.

THE Ohio State University is in shambles mode right now. There was one team they didn't want to see coming out of that aisle and it's us. We are going to shock and awe them into oblivion and ball our way to the NCAA big dance on the back of our enemies.
"What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

That was an ugly, ugly game, but also a super gutty performance by our Gophers. When we went down by seven there late in the 2nd, I figured we were done, but they just kept on grinding, kept defending, and hey, here we are.

I guess this team is not quite ready to be done yet, and I am proud of the fortitude they showed tonight under some pretty adverse circumstances.

Go Gophers!

I was out running errands for most of the second half and caught the game on the radio. Tollackson did not feel like Marcus Carr was engaged in the game at all and him and Grimm both were strongly hinting that the Gophers just wanted to go home. I flipped it on at home (just after Carr was fouled on a 3) and watched from that point on. The first half was ugly, the second half sounded worse from the parts I heard.

One interesting thing I saw in the first half was when Northwestern's post scored on Sam Freeman in the post going to his right. Ed Conroy (who coaches the bigs) is distraught on the sidelines and just buries his face in his hands. I am not sure I've noticed him that demonstrative before.

Sure glad Pitino was allowed to coach that shitshow. What a great display of basketball.

I was out running errands for most of the second half and caught the game on the radio. Tollackson did not feel like Marcus Carr was engaged in the game at all and him and Grimm both were strongly hinting that the Gophers just wanted to go home. I flipped it on at home (just after Carr was fouled on a 3) and watched from that point on. The first half was ugly, the second half sounded worse from the parts I heard.

One interesting thing I saw in the first half was when Northwestern's post scored on Sam Freeman in the post going to his right. Ed Conroy (who coaches the bigs) is distraught on the sidelines and just buries his face in his hands. I am not sure I've noticed him that demonstrative before.
Both interesting tidbits for sure, thanks for sharing. Northwestern trying to lose as well to get rid of their coach? Interesting dynamics, Carr is gone no matter what happens. Conroy starting to think he's gone too, I'd be surprised if Liam stays.

Both interesting tidbits for sure, thanks for sharing. Northwestern trying to lose as well to get rid of their coach? Interesting dynamics, Carr is gone no matter what happens. Conroy starting to think he's gone too, I'd be surprised if Liam stays.
I read the Conroy thing as "how many times have I worked with this kid on this specific thing?" as opposed to worried about his job, but I could be wrong. I think Robbins decision will be interesting: will he be granted a waiver to play somewhere else next year? As gross as it is to say, there's a pretty easy fit for him replacing Garza at Iowa and keeping them a tournament team next season. Carr is going to leave, but he's certainly not made a strong case for himself for the next level down the stretch. If the new coach could somehow A. Convince Carr and Robbins to stay and B. Get Carr to stay with the understanding that he won't have the free reign he enjoyed this year, that would be our best chance to avoid another disaster of a season next year.

I watched the game tonight. Didn’t post in here at all really. Some good things. Some bad things. Some insane things.
A few thoughts:
1. Announcers getting excited Northwestern has almost everyone back next year (that doesn’t matter when you suck)
2. Carr seeming disinterested for much of the game.
3. Curry putting it all on the line. I’ve been critical of him but he had a solid game.
4. Tre Williams making 3s. Stunning development
5. That was really shitty basketball.
6. I’m glad they won. Will watch tomorrow despite a very busy “life” day.

Tre is actually our best 3 shooter percentage wise this season (atelast he was a few games ago) yeah I know, how terrible that is

Tre is actually our best 3 shooter percentage wise this season (atelast he was a few games ago) yeah I know, how terrible that is
Robbins is actually our best percentage shooter from three point range, by a hair, over Carr. Williams third.

Top Bottom