***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT RUTGERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Can you find one person who has actually said something remotely similar to what you said there?

I think what everyone who is not in the fire Pitino camp would say is this:

1. Making a transition to a new coach is hard. The transition usually costs you recruits and some of the roster and it is tough for a new coach to work with the old coach's players. (check out UCLA this year for an example)

2. Historically we have not had an easy time finding a "sure thing coach". The one exception was Tubby Smith, who turned out to not be a sure thing.

3. Pitino is young and showing improvement both in his recruiting and his coaching.

4. We have been to two of the last three NCAAs and it would have been three if not for awful luck two years ago.

5. All of that being said- we have a good AD. If the AD thinks that he has a guy in his pocket that is worth the risk and he feels is most certainly better- then I and almost anyone else here would accept that.

The bulk of us who want to put an end to the fire the coach chatter after every loss, simply want to enjoy the season and give the program the most support possible.

The never-ending argument that will never be resolved. Some assign more weight to conference record over 7 years and others look at tourney appearances lately and take injuries into account. Some feel it is worth the risk to start over, others say there are no guarantees. Am guessing if we miss the tourney this season and next season looks sketchy, the level of angst will grow. Hopefully, if we make the tourney and next season looks promising, more will get on board. Am guessing similar debates are taking place on many college BB boards.

The biggest issue on defense today was obviously the defensive glass, but what do you see being the consistent theme to the struggles on that end of the court? Outside of Demir, the other 6 guys who get consistent minutes have the athletic ability to play good defense which should make for one of Pitino's strongest defensive teams of his tenure, but it hasn't been that. I noticed some communication issues (especially in the Northwestern and Michigan games) and transition issues in the Iowa game while the team got destroyed on the glass against MSU and Rutgers. Other games, the rebounding has been fine and the transition defense has been fine, but the end result (at least according to fg% allowed) has not been.

I think this loss came down to one thing: competing. Rutgers came out playing hard-nosed basketball. They are a good team and they were fighting every possession. This was a tough game. To be a really good team and a really good player, you need to see their intensity and match it. The Gopher’s competed pretty good, but pretty good was a long shot given the conditions.

A lot of it came down to Carr today and he also did a pretty good job, but not a great job. They put a ton of pressure on him and tried to take the ball out of his hands. He is going to have to figure out how to make something happen in those situations like – you’re going to put that kind of pressure on me, you’re going to pay. That will take him to another level.

It is a great game for a team (collectively) and players who want to push it (individually) to break down and do some problem solving. Overall all a pretty good game, but the gophs needed a great game. If the team wants it and you are a true competitor, a great game to help you take it to the next level.

This is obvious, 4 rotation players over 230 lbs. We have one muscular rotation player in Omersa. We will have trouble. Them using big physical players on Carr really cut down on his drives.

Here's to hoping the Rutgers game toughened the team up some.

Tre Williams can ball. Just needs to be more confident and attack some more. Team needs him to step up.

Rutgers was allowed to man handle Carr, which stinks. But I thought Carr had opportunities to pass to open guys, but kept dribbling. He has to adjust to what the defense is doing to him and how refs are calling the game.

This is obvious, 4 rotation players over 230 lbs. We have one muscular rotation player in Omersa. We will have trouble. Them using big physical players on Carr really cut down on his drives.

Yes, not sure any other big ten teams are that physical, maybe Illinois? More than held our own at Purdue, MSU got away toward the end, of course Iowa was bad. We certainly werent blown out yesterday at a very tough venue. Don't think the sky is falling.

Last edited:

Tre Williams can ball. Just needs to be more confident and attack some more. Team needs him to step up.

Rutgers was allowed to man handle Carr, which stinks. But I thought Carr had opportunities to pass to open guys, but kept dribbling. He has to adjust to what the defense is doing to him and how refs are calling the game.
Apparently hand-checking is not a point of emphasis this year.

Can you find one person who has actually said something remotely similar to what you said there?

1. Making a transition to a new coach is hard. The transition usually costs you recruits and some of the roster and it is tough for a new coach to work with the old coach's players. (check out UCLA this year for an example)

2. Historically we have not had an easy time finding a "sure thing coach". The one exception was Tubby Smith, who turned out to not be a sure thing.

3. Pitino is young and showing improvement both in his recruiting and his coaching.

4. We have been to two of the last three NCAAs and it would have been three if not for awful luck two years ago.

5. All of that being said- we have a good AD. If the AD thinks that he has a guy in his pocket that is worth the risk and he feels is most certainly better- then I and almost anyone else here would accept that.

The bulk of us who want to put an end to the fire the coach chatter after every loss, simply want to enjoy the season and give the program the most support possible.

100%. This is how I feel as one of the pro-Pitino posters on the board.

I don't think any of us called for a three year extension after he beat the third ranked Ohio State team. Or after any other win. I would just like to play out the season and then evaluate at the end of the year. I'm happy to have that debate then and/or live with the decision of the AD.

It's bizarre to me how we can shoot 3 for 29 against Iowa in our first big ten game and we have four fire Pitino threads. One game into the conference season. Yeah they got beat down the court a few times. But the biggest reason they got blown out is they shot terribly. It happens. But then the anti-Pitino posters.....Players have quit on Pitino. No bench. Year Seven. Need more Minnesota three star players! Year Seven!

For me, I want the decision to come at the end of the year and be based on the trajectory of the program moving forward. I don't care about his "year three" conference record. Or his "year five" conference record. We can all decide for ourselves what should happen in "year eight" at the end of this year. But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season.

I don't think any of us called for a three year extension after he beat the third ranked Ohio State team. Or after any other win. I would just like to play out the season and then evaluate at the end of the year. I'm happy to have that debate then and/or live with the decision of the AD.

It's bizarre to me how we can shoot 3 for 29 against Iowa in our first big ten game and we have four fire Pitino threads. One game into the conference season. Yeah they got beat down the court a few times. But the biggest reason they got blown out is they shot terribly. It happens. But then the anti-Pitino posters.....Players have quit on Pitino. No bench. Year Seven. Need more Minnesota three star players! Year Seven!

For me, I want the decision to come at the end of the year and be based on the trajectory of the program moving forward. I don't care about his "year three" conference record. Or his "year five" conference record. We can all decide for ourselves what should happen in "year eight" at the end of this year. But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the season.

Well said.

#1 & #2 - not great arguments against firing a coach

#3 - debatable

#4 - come up with some new material It’s all bad luck is played out.

Lastly, can you point out after this most recent loss where anyone posted fire the coach?

Great post. Enjoy the season. we have our coach for now. I do not think there are very many posters demanding Pitino be fired after each loss. Maybe 3-4 , about the same amount that think he is destined for stardom. The disagreement is mostly just opinion of what the standards are for terrible,mediocre, good, Really good and greatt. Each person can decide for themselves.

#1 & #2 - not great arguments against firing a coach

#3 - debatable

#4 - come up with some new material It’s all bad luck is played out.

Lastly, can you point out after this most recent loss where anyone posted fire the coach?
I will come up with new material when you do. I don't think I am going to need to though.

Great post. Enjoy the season. we have our coach for now. I do not think there are very many posters demanding Pitino be fired after each loss. Maybe 3-4 , about the same amount that think he is destined for stardom. The disagreement is mostly just opinion of what the standards are for terrible,mediocre, good, Really good and greatt. Each person can decide for themselves.

Agree with you, except haven't noticed posters who are convinced Pitino is destined for greatness. Certainly posters who appreciate the last three seasons and see reasons for optimism. Feel our posts indicate the jury is still out. Maybe I'm missing something. Don't see that openness from some on the other side.

I will come up with new material when you do. I don't think I am going to need to though.
The team’s play adds new material each week. I don’t need to do anything.

You completely ignored pointing out after this most recent loss where the fire Pitino posts are. This narrative you keep pushing isn’t based in reality.

Most of those guys on Rutgers have been there a few years - you have to have an experienced, mature team to win on the road in the big ten -
Actually RU started 4 sophomores and one grad transfer. Baker who normally starts is a junior

The team’s play adds new material each week. I don’t need to do anything.

You completely ignored pointing out after this most recent loss where the fire Pitino posts are. This narrative you keep pushing isn’t based in reality.
This might be an unfathomable concept but teams DO lose. Just because we don't win every game doesn't mean there needs to be people calling for Pitino's head after a loss - 2 games over .500 in conference play this season would be an accomplishment given how competitive it is this year.

This might be an unfathomable concept but teams DO lose. Just because we don't win every game doesn't mean there needs to be people calling for Pitino's head after a loss - 2 games over .500 in conference play this season would be an accomplishment given how competitive it is this year.
Since the other one refused to respond point out where people called for Pitino’s head after the loss to Rutgers.

Since the other one refused to respond point out where people called for Pitino’s head after the loss to Rutgers.
Post 289 in this thread for instance. Only a page back... couldn't bother to look? And we're arguing semantics anyways - as soon as we lose a game the threads are always flooded with "Pitino's had 7 years" and "Look at his B1G Record". It's just a bit much; why can't the firing the coach comments be reserved until the end of the season?

Reactions: ltf

Post 289 in this thread for instance. Only a page back... couldn't bother to look? And we're arguing semantics anyways - as soon as we lose a game the threads are always flooded with "Pitino's had 7 years" and "Look at his B1G Record". It's just a bit much; why can't the firing the coach comments be reserved until the end of the season?
Congrats you found one out of 300.

People can post what they want whenever they want. If those post bother you so much don’t read them or respond to them. It’s really that simple. You don’t get to dictate what others post because it bothers you.

People can post what they want whenever they want. If those post bother you so much don’t read them or respond to them. It’s really that simple. You don’t get to dictate what others post because it bothers you.

Super deep stuff right here. Thanks for the explanation of the message board universe, Stephen Hawking.

You ASKED me for an example and then get mad when I find one within the last 30 posts? Clearly you'll always find a way to bitch about something.

Also, this is an in-game thread. Most comments were during the game, so I really pulled an example from the last 60 or 70 posts.

Carr missed both Gabe and Willis multiple times on the wing in transition because he looked for his shot first and dribbled too long by that time the wide open look was gone.

It seems as though Carr and to some extent Oturo are playing for their numbers instead of playing team basketball. This game seemed like it to me.

With all the pressure Rutgers put on Carr (along with doubling every ball screen), it would have been nice to see some back doors or something. Pitino never adjusted the offense. They better adjust because Illinois will do the same thing defensively against the gophers.

you asked, he found one within minutes.

your on an Island

This game sucked. They got outplayed, out hustled, killed on the boards.

The thing with this team and most gopher squads is that they aren't very talented as a whole when ranking them against the rest of the Big Ten. They just can't afford to not bring it on defense and on the boards.

That is the thing that is disappointing to me. Winning on the road in the B1G has proven almost impossible this season and Rutgers is pretty good. That said, they are still Rutgers.

Let's start writing #24 Rutgers. This isn't the Rutgers of old. I think they had John Thomas and Courtney James in there. lol

Top Bottom