***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Hopefully Maryland comes back and beats OSU. While it would be nice for OSU to be ranked in the top 20 since we beat them twice, I don't like the odds of Maryland losing two in a row.

How can NW play MD tough and get totally blown out by the Gophers?

I hate Maryland. Take them out on Wednesday night. That would be awesome. Back on track today!

It was USAF. Dude is incredibly pessimistic as evident by making that claim when Freeman is a true freshman.
greenlee for sure is a waste of a scholarship. Never going to be a quality B1G player. Freeman likely as well.

I bet you were touting Konate and Diedjou as frosh too.

Wake up.

Hopefully Maryland comes back and beats OSU. While it would be nice for OSU to be ranked in the top 20 since we beat them twice, I don't like the odds of Maryland losing two in a row.

OSU win was not ideal.

Maryland getting a reality check is tough enough. But OSU got another BIG10 win which toughens our odds of avoiding Weakling Wednesday

Stunned by the Gophers-NU outcome today. Total, complete a$$whooping. If the Gophers could shoot the 3-ball just POORLY and not HORRIFICALLY on their off-nights, they'd have 17 wins. The wide open shots Gabe and Payton made today they missed against Iowa (twice), Indiana, etc etc.

I am not sure what the issues are; partly psychological issues with our shooters and partly Marcus holding the ball a half-click too long before delivering a pass?

Frustrating because this team is better than its record indicates.

It’s been a frustrating season with glimpses of how good this team can be coupled with a lot of tough losses. I was holding out hope until the IU loss, but could see myself being totally invested again if they win the next two.

Freeman is hard to watch in warmups. Would get destroyed in a real game against real competition. Nice body and works hard I think. Has improved his shooting stroke and seems more capable of playing. Could see minutes in a year or two depending on what Oturu does

Just watched the game and it was a nice surprise. Oturu had such an efficient game and I think that opened up the floor for his teammates who had much better looks from three.
Fun to finally get to see the bench open up. Omersa and Hurt both had good games playing well within their roles.

Demir drives me crazy. Shooting is awful, and we really needed a stretch 4 to complement Oturu.

Add in his awful defense and poor rebounding. Turned out to not be a good pick up

Freeman is hard to watch in warmups. Would get destroyed in a real game against real competition. Nice body and works hard I think. Has improved his shooting stroke and seems more capable of playing. Could see minutes in a year or two depending o

I love what you bring to gopherhole, but what are you talking about with Freeman? Did he miss a layup in warmups you didnt like? Freeman will be fine next year. May be a little raw next year, but a year of practice against oturu cant be a bad thing.

I have nothing to say about today's game. I fell asleep about 5 minutes into the 1st half and woke up with about 2 minutes left in the game. Apparently some shots went in today. that seems to improve the team's chances of winning.

I don't want to put this all on Gabe but he's only made 29/113 3's in league play. If he was clipping at 35% instead of 26% our conference record would be flipped. He can/should be clipping at 35% with his shooting talent. Good to see him shooting it well today. If can stay warm they've got a shot.

Freeman is hard to watch in warmups. Would get destroyed in a real game against real competition. Nice body and works hard I think. Has improved his shooting stroke and seems more capable of playing. Could see minutes in a year or two depending on what Oturu does

Frankly I'd have rather seen Freeman at the 5 and Oturu at the 4 at points this season. Didn't happen. Demir way too much burn IMO.

I appreciate the kind words.

He misses everything he shoots, routinely drops balls when dunking, etc. He is raw. Very raw. Has improved a lot since the beginning of the season when he struggled to do anything even against bad OOC opponents.

I believe Sam Freeman will get valuable minutes for the Gophers. This year was not his year. If traditional redshirts were still used (its rare, at least for Pitino) or we had the depth to not have burned a year I'd be more excited for him.

Agreed with others who said Demir has played too much. He provides very little a lot of games. Freeman is physically imposing but is much less talented than Demir. I think Sam would have been in constant foul trouble and is an offensive liability (but he wouldn't airball 3s so maybe its a wash, hahaha)

greenlee for sure is a waste of a scholarship. Never going to be a quality B1G player. Freeman likely as well.

Wake up.
Agree. If they get zero minutes their freshman year and when they do look totally lost and noncompetitive, count them out. When is the last time you saw a freshman that looks that bad turn into anything decent?

Wake up.

They were all late adds and not first choices of the staff. What type of kid do you expect them to get that late in the signing period? You also don't know what was said in the room. Greenlee maybe a great teammate, practice player, and citizen. That's not a total waste as long as you don't have too many of them. That is something you can say we have had.

As far as Freeman, I really wish they could've done a redshirt year. It's actually not uncommon at all for big men to develop more. Not saying he's going to the NBA, but has more than enough opportunity to be a quality contributor.

They were all late adds and not first choices of the staff. What type of kid do you expect them to get that late in the signing period? You also don't know what was said in the room. Greenlee maybe a great teammate, practice player, and citizen. That's not a total waste as long as you don't have too many of them. That is something you can say we have had.

As far as Freeman, I really wish they could've done a redshirt year. It's actually not uncommon at all for big men to develop more. Not saying he's going to the NBA, but has more than enough opportunity to be a quality contributor.
Myles Johnson of Rutgers could be an example of what Freeman's upside could look like, hopefully at least

uh...precisely.

Freeman needs to go to big man camps and get a personalized coach that will drill him until he pukes. Repetition and working out will get him there if he doesn’t have “natural” ability. Needs to become gym rat putting up x amount of shots every day. really no short cuts for guys that don’t have god given talent.

I know this is hard for you to understand, but not every staff gets their first choice or even sometimes...gasp.... their second one.
I know it's hard for you to accept that Pitino's recruiting is an issue.

The point is, comparing them to Konate and Diedhou. Scholarships given because, well, nobody better will say yes. They end up using 4 years, and never contribute significantly.

It's a recurring problem. And it's why they have two fringe NBA players last year, but can't even manage .500 in the B1G. They dont have enough B1G quality players.

And four years from now, these two will be further examples.

I know it's hard for you to accept that Pitino's recruiting is an issue.

The point is, comparing them to Konate and Diedhou. Scholarships given because, well, nobody better will say yes. They end up using 4 years, and never contribute significantly.

It's a recurring problem. And it's why they have two fringe NBA players last year, but can't even manage .500 in the B1G. They dont have enough B1G quality players.

And four years from now, these two will be further examples.

I know it's hard for you to read what I've written because its not totally an anti Pitino slant, but I've stated numerous times that he's had recruiting issues. Most notably in post 79 where I said:

That's not a total waste as long as you don't have too many of them. That is something you can say we have had.

Now I could care less if how many NBA guys a team as had as it's truly not indicative of success. Successful recruiting in NCAA basketball is finding guys who are willing to stay and be developed. Now if you'd like to rip Pitino's development go for it. Having a ton of NBA guys doesn't mean much. Indiana and Texas had lottery picks and were awful. Again it's ok to have one or two guys that are good bench guys in practice, citizens off the court, and great teammates. That's not a waste of a scholarship, it becomes an issue if you have too many, which if you read the bold above has happened.

Last edited:

Wake up.

So we've determined the future for Greenlee and Freeman after 26 D-1 games? They can't get any better? Are they both projects and a work in progress? Absolutely. Doesn't mean they can't get better in time and be meaningful contributors.

What a moronic thing to say about freshmen. Some can step in and play right away, some need time. Right now, no they're not meaningful contributors. Can they be with time and development? That's up to them. Every D-1 team in college hoops has scholarship players who rarely see the court. Are they a waste of scholarships too?

Agree. If they get zero minutes their freshman year and when they do look totally lost and noncompetitive, count them out. When is the last time you saw a freshman that looks that bad turn into anything decent?
Mo Walker maybe? He wasn't very good at all his first two years and turned into a solid player as a senior.

You need to give patience to big man recruits. Many of them just had a growth spurt and are learning to be tall.

I dont have much patience for point guards and wings. In todays basketball world, they should be able to contribute right away

Top Bottom