***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I know this is really complicated for you but .... high school players are recruits. Guys from the portal are transfers.

Every year there will be recruits to lower level programs who show in time they could play higher. Battle. And there will be some Power 6 recruits who end up transferring lower. The portal helps both ways.
I umm, wow not even sure how to reply ha. Who knew, transfers vs recruits weren't even close to the same thing! This is super big brain, I feel inadequate suddenly.

I wonder if we will eventually get how losing is actually winning, and we have just been looking at it wrong this whole time!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220306-213026_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220306-213026_Google.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 1

I don’t always like his articles but yeah this one pretty well sums up the frustration gopher fans feel. Hopefully Ben can develop a program that can be successful.
All we have is hope and faith. It's not like we haven't seen things we liked this year, but last place is last place.

I umm, wow not even sure how to reply ha. Who knew, transfers vs recruits weren't even close to the same thing! This is super big brain, I feel inadequate suddenly.

I wonder if we will eventually get how losing is actually winning, and we have just been looking at it wrong this whole time!
It's your nap time. And no, transfers and recruits are not the same thing.

This is how most of us felt before the season started. We thought we would get destroyed in the Big Ten and that's pretty much what happened. The difference is, we looked far better than anticipated outside of Big Ten play.

The guys were excited and full of energy and confidence. The Big Ten is a ridiculously talented league though and we got the will beat out of us and didn't have the talent to really compete.

The hope is that this doesn't discourage guys from coming over, hopefully, the Ben Johnson can recruit really strong and put a promising looking program together soon, its time to start generating hope here.

So you think guys who decide to transfer for their final year of college basketball and get the opportunity because of very unusual circumstances at Minnesota get a chance to play here ... were "recruited" to play Big Ten basketball?

No they were not. They were recruited to play mid major and low major college basketball and that is where they were until their final season.

Anybody with even a hint of brains knows that you recruit high school kids to play at your program. When in need of filling a spot short term you try to find someone in the portal to come over, usually for one season.

These portal transfers from lower-level conferences are in no way recruited to play Big Ten basketball.
Minnesota plays in the Big 10 conference.

The players that "decided to transfer for their final year..." were recruited to MINNESOTA by the coach of the Minnesota Gophers.

The coach of the MINNESOTA BB program, which is a member of the Big 10 conference, wanted and ACCEPTED all the players on the roster THIS season, 2021 - 2022.

"These portal transfers from lower-level conferences are in no way recruited to play Big Ten basketball." See Fox, Parker.

Cant have it both ways, genius.

I just think it’s odd that you don’t consider these guys big ten recruits because of how they were 4-5 years ago.

The conference is full of guys who “transferred up” and have done great. Including Battle.
Details, detail, details.......

The only team in the Big Ten that I believe can make the FF is Purdue, maybe the only one that can make the Final 8... Illinois and Wisconsin are not going far.
Purdue is one hundred seventy-something in defensive efficiency. Teams that play such poor defense don't make the FF. I don't see any Big Ten teams making it there this year. The conference feels pretty average to me.

Purdue is one hundred seventy-something in defensive efficiency. Teams that play such poor defense don't make the FF. I don't see any Big Ten teams making it there this year. The conference feels pretty average to me.
I've been wrong about these things before, but I like Iowa in the NCAAs. This Iowa team plays defense, and they can definitely score.

I've been wrong about these things before, but I like Iowa in the NCAAs. This Iowa team plays defense, and they can definitely score.
I SEE ALL BIG TEN teams gone before elite 8,Iowa gone by round 2,maybe Purdue can get it together, but they have under achieved all year.

I just think it’s odd that you don’t consider these guys big ten recruits because of how they were 4-5 years ago.

The conference is full of guys who “transferred up” and have done great. Including Battle.
There are those guys. But the conference is not "full of guys" who transferred up and did great. You are going to find a few diamonds but they will be few and far between. I hope that after this coming year, we are largely done with transfers as a strategy. I want us to be in a situation where we can occasionally pick up a high major kid that feels like he fit in Ben's scheme.

I'd say that's a bit of an overstatement - the "full of guys who have transferred up and have done great" part. Outside of our team, I would list the following mid-major transfers who were impact, quality regular rotational players in the conference this year:

1646662586944.png

Greg Lee (who Ben also offered) probably would have been better if he had not been hampered by injuries (he played only 13 games).

There were other mid-major transfers, of course, but I wouldn't say that they were players who made a genuine significant impact.

Not coincidentally, Penn State is the only other conference team to have multiple players on this list as PSU was the only other conference team that faced a situation similar to ours in the offseason.

Battle and Russell have to be considered the best of the lot. Interestingly, they both came from the Atlantic 10 which is one of the best mid major conferences.

I think the inference I would draw from this season is that a limited number of mature players who have been productive at the mid-major level can be very good at this level and others will be preferable to below average major conference players but a team that is too reliant on these types of players is not likely to be very successful at the P6 level.

There are those guys. But the conference is not "full of guys" who transferred up and did great. You are going to find a few diamonds but they will be few and far between. I hope that after this coming year, we are largely done with transfers as a strategy. I want us to be in a situation where we can occasionally pick up a high major kid that feels like he fit in Ben's scheme.

Essentially I agree with most of what you have written except the part in bold. I don't think we will be done with transfers as a strategy and I think it would be foolish to have a strategy that doesn't include transfers. Obviously, I hope we don't have another year even close to the number we had this year but the transfer market as now constructed gives us a chance to unload prep recruits who didn't pan out (AND WE'RE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE SOME) and replace them with potentially more productive players.

I SEE ALL BIG TEN teams gone before elite 8,Iowa gone by round 2,maybe Purdue can get it together, but they have under achieved all year.
After the conference bombed out last year, I hesitate to say anything about the Big Ten, but Illinois could go far. Their inside/outside game is lethal when it's firing.

maybe Purdue can get it together, but they have under achieved all year.

You may lead this board in bad takes and that's saying something. The reason for this is that you're full of knee-jerk reactions that are unsupported by empirical evidence.

Purdue was ranked at #7 by the AP prior to the beginning of the season. They were ranked at or above that number throughout the season until last week when they were ranked #8. They might be a bit lower in the final regular season poll but, throughout the season, they mostly played as expected or a little better. Independent of ranking, I don't know how anyone can say that a 25-6 power conference team who wasn't expected to absolutely dominate college basketball "under achieved all year."

I'm a firm believer that if you engage in an activity regularly, you should at least try to be good at it. TRY HARDER!

They are who the prognosticators said they were. To the many on gopherhole who felt the preseason games were to build confidence I take delight in saying that time could have been better spent developing next year Gophers.

I'd say that's a bit of an overstatement - the "full of guys who have transferred up and have done great" part. Outside of our team, I would list the following mid-major transfers who were impact, quality regular rotational players in the conference this year:

View attachment 17361

Greg Lee (who Ben also offered) probably would have been better if he had not been hampered by injuries (he played only 13 games).

There were other mid-major transfers, of course, but I wouldn't say that they were players who made a genuine significant impact.

Not coincidentally, Penn State is the only other conference team to have multiple players on this list as PSU was the only other conference team that faced a situation similar to ours in the offseason.

Battle and Russell have to be considered the best of the lot. Interestingly, they both came from the Atlantic 10 which is one of the best mid major conferences.

I think the inference I would draw from this season is that a limited number of mature players who have been productive at the mid-major level can be very good at this level and others will be preferable to below average major conference players but a team that is too reliant on these types of players is not likely to be very successful at the P6 level.
The original argument is transfers from any conference that isn't the Big Ten...not just mid majors.

Lots of guys transfer in and do well. The original argument was that every conference is lesser than the big ten so anyone not originally recruited to play in the big ten is not a big ten recruit. Its gone off the fucking rails to get to this point.

The original argument is transfers from any conference that isn't the Big Ten...not just mid majors.

You said "transferred up." I would characterize a transfer from another P6 conference as a lateral transfer.

If someone else maintained that all other power conferences are beneath the Big Ten, that's just plain silly based on historical evidence.

Minnesota plays in the Big 10 conference.

The players that "decided to transfer for their final year..." were recruited to MINNESOTA by the coach of the Minnesota Gophers.

The coach of the MINNESOTA BB program, which is a member of the Big 10 conference, wanted and ACCEPTED all the players on the roster THIS season, 2021 - 2022.

"These portal transfers from lower-level conferences are in no way recruited to play Big Ten basketball." See Fox, Parker.

Cant have it both ways, genius.
There are no both ways, Greta. The Gophers will improve as the roster fills out with guys actually recruited to play Big Ten basketball. We will continue to augment our Big Ten recruits with transfers for a couple more years.

There are no both ways, Greta. The Gophers will improve as the roster fills out with guys actually recruited to play Big Ten basketball. We will continue to augment our Big Ten recruits with transfers for a couple more years.
Fox, Parker.

Fox, Parker.
Fox, Parker ... Recruited to play Division II basketball, Northern State. Developed into superstar and went into portal for chance to play at higher level than where he had been recruited. Trainload of D I offers, all high level. Accepted Minnesota offer to transfer.

Got it Greta?

Fox, Parker ... Recruited to play Division II basketball, Northern State. Developed into superstar and went into portal for chance to play at higher level than where he had been recruited. Trainload of D I offers, all high level. Accepted Minnesota offer to transfer.

Got it Greta?
Recruited to play in the BIG TEN. Recruited. By MN.

Recruited to play in the BIG TEN. Recruited. By MN.
Not true, Greta. Did you ever notice the threads here titled "All Things Recruiting Class of ..."? Those are guys coming out of high school to play Big Ten basketball. Pretty easy to understand, Greta.

Top Bottom