***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NEBRASKA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

With battle and Cooper, the turnovers supplied a lot of answers. How cbj ever thought Cooper was big 10 caliber is beyond me.
I agree. There are many issues on this team but not having a competent point guard is by far the biggest. A good point guard like a good quarterback can mask other deficiencies

winning teams make plays when they need to make plays.

losing teams don't. there were multiple possessions today where the Gophers were down by 6 or 7 points and needed a bucket to cut the lead to 5 or 4 or even 3 points - and they never came up with the bucket they needed.

some of that is youth. some of that is bad decisions. some of that is not having the right skill set on the floor.

you can say it's on the coach for not drawing up the right plays - but at some point, the players have to execute. If the coach has to tell them "don't make a stupid pass" - then I'm sorry, but some of your players may not be very bright or lack court instincts.

that's the real issue - it's not just one thing. it's 10 different things at 10 different points of the game. some of it may be fixable, but just changing coaches won't fix everything that's wrong with this team. you need different players, and better players.

Johnson will obviously be back next year, they're not going to fire him. Our only hope is somehow he keeps Christie in the fold and he can recruit a few guys out of the portal who can handle the ball and SHOOT! Can't believe we can't find a few guys who would jump at an opportunity to walk in and start at a Big Ten program. And if they watched this team, if they don't think they could start immediately, we don't want them.
And hopefully St Albert's Church will still call to tell me I won last night's raffle. They could still call!!

You quoted this post (below) first with a dopey tangent comparing Ramberg to the freshman.

No point in wasting time responding to you when you have no interest in posting an intelligent thought.
You were saying Rahmberg matters due to guys being out. He came in for Carrington who injured his knee and was out.

I was trying to convey that didn't matter much due to his coming in for the invisible Carrington.

I should have dumbed it down a little, I guess. I did get a thumbs up from another poster.

I will try to be better.

You were saying Rahmberg matters due to guys being out. He came in for Carrington who injured his knee and was out.

I was trying to convey that didn't matter much due to his coming in for the invisible Carrington.

I should have dumbed it down a little, I guess. I did get a thumbs up from another poster.

I will try to be better.

I responded to a poster saying the Battle should be benched....asking who would play in his place. We were already so thin that Ramberg was forced into playing. You decided to quote my post saying that Ramberg is as good as the freshman.....proving that you either didn't read or you didn't understand my response....which is par for the course. Far too stupid to converse with.

TIBYElo.png

I responded to a poster saying the Battle should be benched....asking who would play in his place. We were already so thin that Ramberg was forced into playing. You decided to quote my post saying that Ramberg is as good as the freshman.....proving that you either didn't read or you didn't understand my response....which is par for the course. Far too stupid to converse with.

TIBYElo.png
If the roster is so bad that you can't bench someone who is playing horribly- even for 5 minutes, well who built that roster? That's some commentary. By the way, as well as Ramberg plays the game, despite his lack of talent- I think a lot of good coaches would be playing him a fair amount when players play like Battle was today. The things Ramberg does in terms of effort, cutting without the ball, that stuff is contagious. He's gotten more back door buckets the past couple weeks than anyone.

If the roster is so bad that you can't bench someone who is playing horribly- even for 5 minutes, well who built that roster? That's some commentary. By the way, as well as Ramberg plays the game, despite his lack of talent- I think a lot of good coaches would be playing him a fair amount when players play like Battle was today. The things Ramberg does in terms of effort, cutting without the ball, that stuff is contagious. He's gotten more back door buckets the past couple weeks than anyone.

Where did I say that the roster was good? Try again.

TIBYElo.png
You have a problem with benching Battle, who is playing like shit, on a 1 win team.

Don't quit your day job.

If Ramberg had played all year in Battle's spot, would our record be different?

I'm not sure these players are held accountable for anything, sir!

Also, I went to page 7 and 8, and NO, you weren't talking Battle.

You have a problem with benching Battle, who is playing like shit, on a 1 win team.

Don't quit your day job.

If Ramberg had played all year in Battle's spot, would our record be different?

We'd have zero Big Ten wins instead of one.

You could be right.

By the way, I went back and looked and you weren't talking Battle, sir!

You never answered the question. Do you have a problem with benching Battle, while playing horrid basketball, on a 1 win team?

You quoted this post (below) first with a dopey tangent comparing Ramberg to the freshman.

No point in wasting time responding to you when you have no interest in posting an intelligent thought.
I'm saying it really doesn't matter if Ramberg plays in this one win season.

Keep going!

And again, your original post had nothing to do with Battle. Ramberg generally comes in for one of the freshman. That's why I went to the freshman. He came in today for Carrington today when he did something to his knee. Carrington was beyond brutal yet again.

Last edited:

There are actions that fall between never playing Battle and periodically benching him for poor play in favor of a lunch pail kid like Ramberg. Maybe Ramberg would lead by example and teach the others how to play as a team? Nah, that wouldn't be good.

Last edited:

There are actions that fall between never playing Battle and periodically benching him for poor play in favor of a lunch pail kid like Ramberg. Maybe Ramberg would eat by example and teach the others how to play as a team? Nah, that wouldn't be good.
Ramberg gets his playing time mostly in garbage time, or one of the youngsters is playing like crap.

I guess this shouldn't apply to Battle, for some reason.

There are actions that fall between never playing Battle and periodically benching him for poor play in favor of a lunch pail kid like Ramberg. Maybe Ramberg would lead by example and teach the others how to play as a team? Nah, that wouldn't be good.

Hoiberg gave a massive spark to the Huskers. Ramberg could do that.

That will turn the pessimistic vibes around. Sit Battle in favor of Ramberg! Weeeeeee!

winning teams make plays when they need to make plays.

losing teams don't. there were multiple possessions today where the Gophers were down by 6 or 7 points and needed a bucket to cut the lead to 5 or 4 or even 3 points - and they never came up with the bucket they needed.

some of that is youth. some of that is bad decisions. some of that is not having the right skill set on the floor.

you can say it's on the coach for not drawing up the right plays - but at some point, the players have to execute. If the coach has to tell them "don't make a stupid pass" - then I'm sorry, but some of your players may not be very bright or lack court instincts.

that's the real issue - it's not just one thing. it's 10 different things at 10 different points of the game. some of it may be fixable, but just changing coaches won't fix everything that's wrong with this team. you need different players, and better players.
This is my issue with CBJ and why he's awful. Either the scheme is bad (his fault) or the players are bad (turns out he recruited every kid on the roster). All of it goes back to him. If you can't coach you better recruit well. He's combined below average recruiting with terrible schemes. Thus back to back 14th...

This is my issue with CBJ and why he's awful. Either the scheme is bad (his fault) or the players are bad (turns out he recruited every kid on the roster). All of it goes back to him. If you can't coach you better recruit well. He's combined below average recruiting with terrible schemes. Thus back to back 14th...
Honest to god, if I recruited a team that finished last in free throw shooting in Division 1, I'd commit harakiri to save face and honor.

The schemes always look better when you have more talent, your veterans are playing well (shooting 13-38 and Battle and Cooper with 12 turnovers in this last game), and you don't have to play 4 freshmen significant minutes (yes, I know, Johnson recruited them!). The talent and depth is not there.

Generally, the front line (Garcia, Payne, JOJ, Battle, anything else depth-wise from either Betts or the ACL injury-brothers) can be a slightly below average/average Big Ten front line next year. We have light years to go to have competent guard play. Cooper has been a disappointment, and should start on the bench if he's here next year. He's being targeted as an "easy basket" by every coach in the league. Please, more guards who can handle it, shoot it, and play good defense next year.

The schemes always look better when you have more talent, your veterans are playing well (shooting 13-38 and Battle and Cooper with 12 turnovers in this last game), and you don't have to play 4 freshmen significant minutes (yes, I know, Johnson recruited them!). The talent and depth is not there.

Generally, the front line (Garcia, Payne, JOJ, Battle, anything else depth-wise from either Betts or the ACL injury-brothers) can be a slightly below average/average Big Ten front line next year. We have light years to go to have competent guard play. Cooper has been a disappointment, and should start on the bench if he's here next year. He's being targeted as an "easy basket" by every coach in the league. Please, more guards who can handle it, shoot it, and play good defense next year.
Good post. I think Payne and Garcia would be a well above average 4-5 combo next year. Need the upgrades around those two.

I really like what I saw yesterday in terms of ball movement. Payne is now getting it down low and reversing the ball, getting some real open looks for people. Unfortunately they don't make the shots.

Good post. I think Payne and Garcia would be a well above average 4-5 combo next year. Need the upgrades around those two.

I really like what I saw yesterday in terms of ball movement. Payne is now getting it down low and reversing the ball, getting some real open looks for people. Unfortunately they don't make the shots.
Payne and Garcia would look even better with a perimeter game. We can't score from the perimeter or break a defense down with ball penetration.

Payne and Garcia would look even better with a perimeter game. We can't score from the perimeter or break a defense down with ball penetration.
A difference making guard would go a lonnnnggg way for our club. Main questions:

-Will Johnson be able to get that guy / guys?
-Will Johnson be able to use them appropriately to get the most out of them?

Top Bottom