***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I don't think he needs to get a T but there were multiple horrible calls where he hardly reacted.
I don't know if CBJ has that in him, which can be a really good trait to have as a normal human being.

I don't know enough about Ben to know if it is that he is avoiding conflict (really bad trait) or if it is that he still stands up for himself but just isn't overly emotional (really good trait).

I am not really in the camp of a coach needing to show a ton of emotion on the sidelines but I know a lot of people who know a lot more about basketball than me that would disagree. It's an interesting debate.

JOJ strikes me as one of those "could have been guys". There's obviously still time yet to unlock his full potential. He can rebound when he wants to. He has a high motor when he wants to. He can jump out of the gym. He can bang down low with 4's. He can hit the 3. He has become a good FT shooter. With the right system, good coaching, and motivation I think he could be really, really good. Not sure that's going to occur here before he runs out of eligibility.
He also struggles on defense and gives up a lot of back door cuts. I’m good with most of his game but the defense has me yelling at the tv a lot. Giving up a back door layup is a no no in my book.

Right. I think 2nd half fouls were 11 -5 in favor of Sparty when Jizzo got the T. He uses them as a time out to stop the mini run the Gophers were on. He had no reason in the world to complain about officiating.

Umm Sparty was on the run at that time. They turned a tie game into a 5 pt lead with 2 free throws coming.

His T actually had sparty come out of that -1 with less of a lead.

Yeah, your recording is more precise than my memory of a game that I just watched.

You also forgot to include why he was pulled. He was pulled because he couldn't get back on defense and Christie picked up his 4th foul on Wilson's man.

As to your last point, I guess I don't pick which Gophers I cheer for based on their size. I liked Bobby Jackson more than I liked Kevin Loge. I just want the best ones to play.

I think a big reason we lost that game is because we got into foul trouble way too early in the second half, turnovers, and having to sit key players. Jack Wilson's blame for that is miniscule, he only played 1.5 minutes. However, those 1.5 minutes were not very good.
True Wilson didn’t get back quickly enough. Him and JOJ almost got an offensive rebound off of an early shot clock terrible long contested 2 by Garcia. Christie takes the foul there because no one stops the ball. Hard to put that only on Wilson.

I’m just sick of seeing Fox get bodied down low 5+ times a game. It makes no sense when we have a giant who can score at will sitting on the bench.

I just rewatched Foxs PT in the first half. MSU gets 3 easy baskets right in the paint. He almost gets dunked on in back to back plays but thankfully the MSU player got too much rim.

Give me some reasons that Fox should be defending the paint rather than Wilson.

Last edited:

Yeah, your recording is more precise than my memory of a game that I just watched.

You also forgot to include why he was pulled. He was pulled because he couldn't get back on defense and Christie picked up his 4th foul on Wilson's man.

As to your last point, I guess I don't pick which Gophers I cheer for based on their size. I liked Bobby Jackson more than I liked Kevin Loge. I just want the best ones to play.

I think a big reason we lost that game is because we got into foul trouble way too early in the second half, turnovers, and having to sit key players. Jack Wilson's blame for that is miniscule, he only played 1.5 minutes. However, those 1.5 minutes were not very good.
Fifteen of the 19 turnovers were on non-guards. Mitchell and Carrington had five, Christie none. I wasn't able to see the game but it looks like Jack was no more a liability handling the ball than the other non-guards.

True Wilson didn’t get back quickly enough. Him and JOJ almost got an offensive rebound off of an early shot clock terrible long contested 2 by Garcia. Christie takes the foul there because no one stops the ball. Hard to put that only on Wilson.

I’m just sick of seeing Fox get bodied down low 5+ times a game. It makes no sense when we have a giant who can score at will sitting on the bench.

I just rewatched Foxs PT in the first half. MSU gets 3 easy baskets right in the paint. He almost gets dunked on in back to back plays but thankfully the MSU player got too much rim.

Give me some reasons that Fox should be defending the paint rather than Wilson.
Bob L is probably going to argue with your contention that Big Jack can score from the bench, let alone at will. But it's a good bet he would score a few if he played 5-10 minutes.

Fifteen of the 19 turnovers were on non-guards. Mitchell and Carrington had five, Christie none. I wasn't able to see the game but it looks like Jack was no more a liability handling the ball than the other non-guards.
Oh yeah, I don't think Jack Wilson had any impact on the turnovers. He played a minute before getting yanked.

Bob L is probably going to argue with your contention that Big Jack can score from the bench, let alone at will. But it's a good bet he would score a few if he played 5-10 minutes.
Of course Jack Wilson wouldn't be able to score "at will" but yeah, he might be able to score a couple more buckets if he played 5 minutes. As far as 10 minutes, I suppose that is true if he could theoretically play more than 5 minutes without fouling out.

But yeah, generally, I agree, if someone played more minutes, they would do more of what they did in that 1 minute - more points, more fouls, more whatever good or bad.

I don't know if CBJ has that in him, which can be a really good trait to have as a normal human being.

I don't know enough about Ben to know if it is that he is avoiding conflict (really bad trait) or if it is that he still stands up for himself but just isn't overly emotional (really good trait).

I am not really in the camp of a coach needing to show a ton of emotion on the sidelines but I know a lot of people who know a lot more about basketball than me that would disagree. It's an interesting debate.
A coach who avoids a technical on somebody else's court is simply smart. Clem was the master. He actually won a few games over the years by correctly timing the moment to rip off his suit coat and throw it about nine rows up in the stands.

The result was always: 1) Williams Arena goes crazy and doesn't stop until the game ends; and 2) all that energy transfers to the players. It was amazing to see.

Clem would never take a T on the road, knowing it was counterproductive. The other teams gets two free throws, the ball, and all the energy.

Clem would never take a T on the road, knowing it was counterproductive. The other teams gets two free throws, the ball, and all the energy.
Never? I recall a game where he got double T'd and ejected in Bloomington in about the first 10 minutes. He knew they wouldn't win and didn't want to up with Bobby's BS all night I guess.

Wilson just needs to take it down a notch. I bet CBJ tells him to go all out in practice. Or he might just be too strong to play without fouling. Hard to change mentality when you're used to taking on defensive linemen.

Wilson scored 4 points last year for a bad Washington State team. I'm sure he's just being held back from greatness by coaches not giving him enough minutes.
Wazzu was in the NIT, but the rest I agree with…

Top Bottom