***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Wilson has 5 fouls to give. Might as well make them pay for coming into the lane. Cryin shame he was out after only 2 fouls and not given a chance to really lay the wood on someone.
I’d rather not put them in the bonus 5 minutes into the half. I also don’t remember if we made a stop while he was in the game for that 2 minute stretch (of which we were -8).

I’d rather not put them in the bonus 5 minutes into the half. I also don’t remember if we made a stop while he was in the game for that 2 minute stretch (of which we were -8).
Who needs shoddy memory when I record every game on Youtube TV. I re-watched the stretch and summarized it, his +- is -1. Note that as soon as he subs out Parker Fox gets posterized in the paint. Would not have happened with Wilson in.. And keep in mind that he is subbing in because our bigs are already in foul trouble..

Wilson comes in to box out for the 2nd MSU free thow. at 37-37 It's a make, MSU always a good free throw shooting team -1.

1st offensive possession he mixes it up in the paint letting Garcia get the offensive rebound and we get two free throws. Garcia makes both +1

1st defensive possession
Wilson looks incredibly agile guarding the pick and roll, but Garcia is asleep and their cross court pass leads to a 3 pointer. Wilson with a monster block out but the guy flops and they get the additional two free throws. Unfortunate, but coachable (If I were the coach) -4

2nd offensive possession
Drawn play for Wilson, post up, BBQ CHICKEN 2 points, -2

2nd defensive possession
STOP Great box out on a missed jumpshot -2

3rd offensive possession
A Wilson screen that would have pancaked Fox or Ihnen, leads to Christie 3 +1

3rd defensive possession
Not great help defense as MSU scores 1:1 on Garcia. -1

4th offensive possession
. Braindead 16 ft jumper from Garcia when Wilson had a skinny man on him. Wilson almost gets offensive rebound, should have been BBQ Chicken down low to Wilson -1.

Wilson subbed out. Parker Fox gets immediately posterized in a momentum building dunk as we have no size down low.

Wilson is someone we can all cheer for, at least throw the fans a bone. No one at this point is cheering for Ihnen and Fox is too small.

The idea that if CBJ got a technical, then all of a sudden he gains the respect of the officials is laughable. Smart move by CBJ to not give free points in a close game.

But, but, but, Izzo got one.... yeah to fire up the crowd, not get calls. Ben and assistants are talking to the officials all game just like Izzo.

There it is! Moral victory!!

Pathetic.
Being proud of their effort and calling it a win are two different things. The only thing pathetic here is you. Did you watch the game? Judging from your post my guess is no. Pathetic.

Comparatively yes. We are using two scholarships on Wilson and a walk-on.
So we are using four scholarship on players who would almost certainly never see the floor for 80% of other Big Ten teams. There lays the problem. This team is 7 deep. 1 was out, 3 were in foul trouble all night, and they still covered. The effort was there. The execution down the stretch wasn’t. That happens when you are outmanned. Especially at the Breslin.

How many baskets did his man get in that stretch. He did fine, got one bad call on a foul.

Decent effort, but ultimately a double digit loss to a below average B1G team. The refs were brutal but they often are on the road in the B1G. Ben absolutely should have gotten T'd up.

And you can't win turning the ball over 17 times and not making a shot in the last 5 minutes. This team just doesn't do fundamental things well enough. Take care of the ball. Have a plan on offense. Make FT's. We do none of them.
Agreed!!! Hard to get points in the paint when for the most part all 5 players are running around out on the perimeter. Their spacing is terrible!!!

Who needs shoddy memory when I record every game on Youtube TV. I re-watched the stretch and summarized it, his +- is -1. Note that as soon as he subs out Parker Fox gets posterized in the paint. Would not have happened with Wilson in.. And keep in mind that he is subbing in because our bigs are already in foul trouble..

Wilson comes in to box out for the 2nd MSU free thow. at 37-37 It's a make, MSU always a good free throw shooting team -1.

1st offensive possession he mixes it up in the paint letting Garcia get the offensive rebound and we get two free throws. Garcia makes both +1

1st defensive possession
Wilson looks incredibly agile guarding the pick and roll, but Garcia is asleep and their cross court pass leads to a 3 pointer. Wilson with a monster block out but the guy flops and they get the additional two free throws. Unfortunate, but coachable (If I were the coach) -4

2nd offensive possession

2nd defensive possession

3rd offensive possession

3rd defensive possession

4th offensive possession
. Braindead 16 ft jumper from Garcia when Wilson had a skinny man on him. Wilson almost gets offensive rebound, should have been BBQ Chicken down low to Wilson -1.

Wilson subbed out. Parker Fox gets immediately posterized in a momentum building dunk as we have no size down low.

Wilson is someone we can all cheer for, at least throw the fans a bone. No one at this point is cheering for Ihnen and Fox is too small.
Thanks for clarifying The Facts

I didn't get to watch even a minute of the game, but considering what I've seen this morning in the way of bad officiating, it's maybe encouraging the Gophers kept it that close?

What's the deal with JOJ? After starting him habitually for weeks, Johnson practically benches him, playing him only six minutes. It's this just another curious/mysterious rotation decision, or is there something going on?

The idea that if CBJ got a technical, then all of a sudden he gains the respect of the officials is laughable. Smart move by CBJ to not give free points in a close game.

But, but, but, Izzo got one.... yeah to fire up the crowd, not get calls. Ben and assistants are talking to the officials all game just like Izzo.
Izzo is always screaming at the refs - both home and road. Guessing he's not trying to fire up the crowd on the road...so, to get calls. He may be a good guy and great coach, but his 4 year old temper tantrums on the court are beyond embarrassing.

I didn't get to watch even a minute of the game, but considering what I've seen this morning in the way of bad officiating, it's maybe encouraging the Gophers kept it that close?

What's the deal with JOJ? After starting him habitually for weeks, Johnson practically benches him, playing him only six minutes. It's this just another curious/mysterious rotation decision, or is there something going on?
He played 22? I couldn't watch all of it but he got benched in the 1st half for taking an awful mid range shot when Dawson had post position.

He played 22? I couldn't watch all of it but he got benched in the 1st half for taking an awful mid range shot when Dawson had post position.
Same thing happened in the second half, except this time he tried to make the pass into Garcia, but he was at a terrible angle and the ball was not close to being on target. He had an off game last night.

Typically I wouldn’t want to either but they were worse than we were from the charity stripe last night.

Being proud of their effort and calling it a win are two different things. The only thing pathetic here is you. Did you watch the game? Judging from your post my guess is no. Pathetic.
Yes, I watched the game.

"Proud of their effort"... heh.

He makes really bad decisions. Someone mentioned the ill-advised shot when Garcia had post position.

There was also a play he turned the ball over (got stripped) Christie hustled back, stopped the fast break layup, but no one else was there so Sparty had an easy dunk on the put-back. In the replay JOJ didn’t even attempt to get back.

1st defensive possession

2nd offensive possession

2nd defensive possession

3rd offensive possession

3rd defensive possession

4th offensive possession

Nice post. You have excellent patience to put that all together.

While I’m unsure statistically, it seems to me that you could omit the first -1? Functionally give him an even grade?

It just feels like a guy coming in after the play, that gave the shooter the opportunity to make it, should not be charged to the player coming in. I.E. Akin to an earned run in baseball charged to the pitcher that put the runner on base.

I don't think he needs to get a T but there were multiple horrible calls where he hardly reacted.

He makes really bad decisions. Someone mentioned the ill-advised shot when Garcia had post position.

There was also a play he turned the ball over (got stripped) Christie hustled back, stopped the fast break layup, but no one else was there so Sparty had an easy dunk on the put-back. In the replay JOJ didn’t even attempt to get back.
JOJ strikes me as one of those "could have been guys". There's obviously still time yet to unlock his full potential. He can rebound when he wants to. He has a high motor when he wants to. He can jump out of the gym. He can bang down low with 4's. He can hit the 3. He has become a good FT shooter. With the right system, good coaching, and motivation I think he could be really, really good. Not sure that's going to occur here before he runs out of eligibility.

I don't think he needs to get a T but there were multiple horrible calls where he hardly reacted.
I honestly can't remember a game that was so poorly called with so many unnecessary whistles. Both teams wanted to play physical. Just let them. When it gets out of hand, blow the whistle. But last night was terrible.

You always need to adjust to the game being called to the official, and the Gophers did not. So I'm not suggesting that is why they lost. But yikes, that was a sludge of a game from an officiating/clock stoppage perspective.

Izzo is always screaming at the refs - both home and road. Guessing he's not trying to fire up the crowd on the road...so, to get calls. He may be a good guy and great coach, but his 4 year old temper tantrums on the court are beyond embarrassing.
Good point. I don't know his home/away technical foul ratio, but I guess my point is there's reasons to get a tech other than just to get calls. Could be to fire up the crowd and/or players which is what I think Izzo was doing.

I actually thought it was a good thing we were able to get Izzo visibly frustrated and angry with his team. Nothing better than watching Izzo lose his sh*t because his team isn’t playing well against us.

Good point. I don't know his home/away technical foul ratio, but I guess my point is there's reasons to get a tech other than just to get calls. Could be to fire up the crowd and/or players which is what I think Izzo was doing.

Right. I think 2nd half fouls were 11 -5 in favor of Sparty when Jizzo got the T. He uses them as a time out to stop the mini run the Gophers were on. He had no reason in the world to complain about officiating.

My guess is the BJ didn't see those terrible calls like he doesn't seem to see his entire team running around on the perimeter, the lack of floor spacing or so many other things that good coaches pick up on.

How many baskets did his man get in that stretch. He did fine, got one bad call on a foul.
In a one and a half minute stretch, his man scored 2 points. His inability to get back also led to Christie's 4th foul (that wasn't a big deal or anything). That's when Ben, rightfully, pulled him.

1st defensive possession

2nd offensive possession

2nd defensive possession

3rd offensive possession

3rd defensive possession

4th offensive possession

Yeah, your recording is more precise than my memory of a game that I just watched.

You also forgot to include why he was pulled. He was pulled because he couldn't get back on defense and Christie picked up his 4th foul on Wilson's man.

As to your last point, I guess I don't pick which Gophers I cheer for based on their size. I liked Bobby Jackson more than I liked Kevin Loge. I just want the best ones to play.

I think a big reason we lost that game is because we got into foul trouble way too early in the second half, turnovers, and having to sit key players. Jack Wilson's blame for that is miniscule, he only played 1.5 minutes. However, those 1.5 minutes were not very good.

Top Bottom