***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN IN-GAME THREAD TWAS NIGHT BEFORE XMAS THEME!!!***

Was nervous to post in game (thanks Vikings ha). All I can saw is wow. I was certainly underwhelmed by the hire and the roster. I couldn't have been more wrong so far. Ben knows what this team can do and maximizes that. I don't want this to be too much hyperbole but Johnson looks like he has found a longtime job! I also snickered at people "when should we be ranked". Also WRONG. We absolutely should be ranked Monday. I know the team won't worry about it, but they deserve it. One of the most fun starts to a year in a long time!

Hard to know but its all speculation.

I wonder if Ben just wanted a clean slate. All his guys (except Ihnen) without having to undo PitinoBall warts. Remember that Ben worked under Pitino for a number of years. Maybe he wanted all that behind the program and a clear path going forward. And, like you said, a wide open opportunity for the the guys who came in.

Whatever the situation, BJ and his guys have made a very strong statement.
It does make you wonder. He clearly is charting a different direction. No need to convince a transfer that the old ways are done. I do love the fact that nobody can say “yea, but it’s Patino’s recruits.” It really is Ben’s team.

They play so sound on both sides of the ball. They are going to make teams beat them because they won't beat themselves with turnovers, dumb shots, or allowing easy shots. MSU is a really good team that knocked down contested three pointers. Tonight, Michigan wasn't able to knock down those contested shots. This is going to be a fun team to watch - hope the recruits are watching, and the good news is that there will be some transfers that will be attracted to this when they see how Ben and staff have used Battle, Willis, Stephens...

I hope so, but I do wonder if Michigan, now at 6-4, maybe just isn't perceived as a great win now? It seems like this game could be viewed nationally as an indication that Michigan is bad, rather than that Minnesota is good. Either way, pumped about the win! 3-0 in true road games, 5-0 away from the Barn!
Michigan will be fine. They'll regroup and continue to improve. Young team trying to mesh right now and they've played a pretty decent schedule up to this point. Still expect them to be in the upper half of the league.

I hope so, but I do wonder if Michigan, now at 6-4, maybe just isn't perceived as a great win now? It seems like this game could be viewed nationally as an indication that Michigan is bad, rather than that Minnesota is good. Either way, pumped about the win! 3-0 in true road games, 5-0 away from the Barn!
Anyone that has paid attention to the Gophers this year knows that this is not a bad team. Not a championship team but definitely not a bad team either. Winning a preseason tournament and then going on the road and winning at Pitt and Mississippi State sealed that.

Just finished watching. What a great performance for the whole team. Very impressive win. Loewe and Stephens were huge in the first half keeping it close. Battle and Willis just took over in the second.
I’m not sure what we switched up defensively, but Dickinson was clearly flustered.

I seriously just can’t believe what we have seen this far with CBJ… I’m ready to donate toward a long term extension already… the fact that he has this team playing at this level this quickly… with guys that were largely not pursued by other P5 programs… it’s absolutely mind boggling and I don’t see how the next tier of 4/5 star locals can pass up playing for CBJ.

How’d he look? Did his team win?
I left with about 7 minutes left in the first half. It started about 45 minutes after it was scheduled to start because other games were taking too long. Carrington had just picked up his second foul and was headed to the bench, so I split. They were down a couple of points to Wayzata. Wayzata has a pretty good sized big. 6' 9", not skinny at all. He was causing headaches for Park Center. Watched Winter and Robison earlier in the day. Payne still not playing for Park Cottage Grove. Assume he must be injured.

Just looked and saw there were only 2 assists. Pretty shocking stat, but they were clearly looking for switches and certain matchups.
Hot shooting always helps.

I seriously just can’t believe what we have seen this far with CBJ… I’m ready to donate toward a long term extension already… the fact that he has this team playing at this level this quickly… with guys that were largely not pursued by other P5 programs… it’s absolutely mind boggling and I don’t see how the next tier of 4/5 star locals can pass up playing for CBJ.
Some of the credit obviously goes to the players… some of the credit has to go to CBJ in identifying undervalued players… and absolutely some of the credit goes to very high level Xs and Os and fundamentals coaching!

Just finished watching. What a great performance for the whole team. Very impressive win. Loewe and Stephens were huge in the first half keeping it close. Battle and Willis just took over in the second.
I’m not sure what we switched up defensively, but Dickinson was clearly flustered.
The start to this season has exceeded all expectations. I expected the guys we brought in to be ok since they were all quality players at their respective schools, but to go on the road to Michigan and come away with a 10 point victory was not something I dreamed would be possible when this group was assembled.

I left with about 7 minutes left in the first half. It started about 45 minutes after it was scheduled to start because other games were taking too long. Carrington had just picked up his second foul and was headed to the bench, so I split. They were down a couple of points to Wayzata. Wayzata has a pretty good sized big. 6' 9", not skinny at all. He was causing headaches for Park Center. Watched Winter and Robison earlier in the day. Payne still not playing for Park Cottage Grove. Assume he must be injured.
You should have stayed home and watched the Gophers.

Just looked and saw there were only 2 assists. Pretty shocking stat, but they were clearly looking for switches and certain matchups.
Hot shooting always helps.
That is interesting, and I think you’re right. Seemed like far fewer shots early in the shot clock than there was against MSU, and a lot of clean looks regardless.

Man, this really shows how apathetic Little Ricky really was here. People laughed when Suggs said that he would have committed here if Pitino would have voted to one of his games.
I know you’re fishing, because this is an incoherent statement.

Congratulations Gophers on the big win over Michigan. I am impressed at how players who have never played together before have come together as a cohesive unit in such a short time. The team work is better than many teams who have played a few years together. Go Gophers!

Have been super excited for this season to see how the guys look and how CBJ looks as a coach. After this win, I’m straight up excited for the season, and looking forward to a potential ournament run. This is a legit win over a damn good team on the road. Even if we’re not world beaters, we’re gonna give everybody a hard time.

I know you’re fishing, because this is an incoherent statement.
Nah, Little Ricky sucked as a coach and a recruiter (Good luck with all that, Lobos!)

We had our insecurities played on to give him "a chance" and to keep giving him "chances". After all, who wouldn't want to be gazed upon by the mighty Pitino name? We're flyover country, so what do we know about them modern college basketball recruiting practices? These modern games frighten and confuse us. Being treated like crap by outsiders is one of the major tenets of Minnesota Nice.

Ben has showed what competency and basic human interaction can do to raise the program out of the miasma caused by giving in to our insecurities. I like how bright the future seems now that we stopped digging a hole and decided to climb out of it.

A great win tonight! Let's keep it going. Battle was outstanding.

Top Bottom